• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Chinese Manufactured Accordion Model List

Why not make a link to the forum page then it will always be up to date?

Bellini - one for the list?

Attachments

• Bellini china .jpg
    Bellini china .jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 2,839
Studio

Attachments

• Studio China.jpg
    Studio China.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 2,800
Hi Soulsaver,
This list is now a fair length and most likely will keep growing which could make it cumbersome or confusing.
Can I suggest a different viewpoint which may help people to more easily identify a Chinese box.

The couplers (switches) - I have only seen two styles
The grille pattern - very few variations
The piano keys - Is it true they are all the same width?
The bellows straps
Bellows corners.
Others?
China is a big country with lots of accordion manufacturers. We say they are all the same but, as a rule, are the parts interchangeable? I see CGM are now stocking spares for Stephanelli but these look as if they could be more universal.

Garth

Hi Garth - I appreciate your concern for my workload.. :)

And we've made the comment before about similarities in design that make most of the Chinese manufactured stuff recognisable to the experienced eye.

But there are exceptions in the list that are less easily recognised, for the slightly less experienced; and there is access to the list for not only the inexperienced amongst us inside, but outside of this forum, too.

I'm quite happy adding stuff as I find it and/or am informed. And it is always worth remembering that this list may not always reflect the latest iteration of Italian sounding Chinese instrument.

I know you're worried, but I'm not missing accordion practice while I keep this stuff updated.. :)

stepladders not included..

Attachments

• gallini.jpg
    gallini.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2,772
This has been discussed a couple or times before where someone thinks this is a Serenellini: Its a Serenelli... and is Chinese.
BUT Serellini were an Italian manufacturer in the 1960s before being swallowed up or going bust. AFAIK nothing to do with Serenellini, who are still an Italian maker as at today.

Attachments

• serenelli48.jpg
    serenelli48.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2,525
Soulsaver said:
I know little about Italian manufacturers producing selected models in China, for instance - so if that is a factor, Ill need to be informed for it to be included.
And if we have the knowledge about which Hohners are made in China, Id rather include it, than imply the whole of the Hohner catalogue.. I believe the Bravo 48 is, but the 120 may not be. Or is it the whole Bravo range? And I believe with less certainty that the late model Concerto and Student was/is?

Yes, with certainty, the Bravo 120 is made in China. Mine had a few tuning issues out of the box, but Hohner USA in Virginia did an excellent job making minor adjustments and for the past three years has been flawless. There is a difference, I suspect, between Chinese companies making accordions in China, and German companies with German supervisors making accordions there on German equipment. The Bravo seems very high quality to me.

Soulsaver said:
I know little about Italian manufacturers producing selected models in China, for instance - so if that is a factor, Ill need to be informed for it to be included.
And if we have the knowledge about which Hohners are made in China, Id rather include it, than imply the whole of the Hohner catalogue.. I believe the Bravo 48 is, but the 120 may not be. Or is it the whole Bravo range? And I believe with less certainty that the late model Concerto and Student was/is?

Yes, with certainty, the Bravo 120 is made in China. Mine had a few tuning issues out of the box, but Hohner USA in Virginia did an excellent job making minor adjustments and for the past three years has been flawless. There is a difference, I suspect, between Chinese companies making accordions in China, and German companies with German supervisors making accordions there on German equipment. The Bravo seems very high quality to me.[/quote]

Yep - at the time that comment was made (3 years ago) there was still some debate, but I believe, like you, the whole range below Morino is Chinese manufactured. And I can be easily convinced that Hohners product quality is still superior to run-of-the-mill Chinese stuff.

Im just not so sure the Atlantic is still being made but if it is its likely in the east, too as the others are made in Italy.

A new one for the list !
Appearing in the US dealers lately is another Fortune Cookie that has a new Badge -
"( E Soprani)"
Nothing new but a rebadged models of Chinese accordions the same as 99% of the names of this list. :tup:

Maybe slightly different to the usual, Jim, as it appears E Soprani in Italy have introduced a range of openly stated Chinese manufactured accordions, called Circus here in the UK.
Here is a respected dealers advert and demo video:
http://www.theaccordionshop.co.uk/accordions/e-soprani-circus-96-bass-accordion/

'The E. Soprani Circus Line 96 Bass Accordion is the largest size in a brand new model range of student accordions from the well respected E Soprani company, based in the Italian town of Castalfidardo. This new entry level series is designed in Italy, and are built in China.
This excellent value for money accordion would make an ideal first instrument to start learning to play on, or as a next step up, or even as a second accordion for traveling with etc.
This E. Soprani Circus Line 96 Bass Accordion features a two voice tremolo tuning and a powerful bass tone, making it ideal for most styles of playing. A wide range of colours are available, including red, black and blue.'

Last edited:
Looks like the "Circus" has well and truly come to town with this one. That's a lot of box for not a lot of rocks!

Unfortunately there are a lot of "branded" used PAs out there, and this instrument might struggle to compete against a comparable used model.

It looks alright and sounds alright, and even if the quality might not be there, can anybody really complain at that price?

If it lasts somebody 5 years I reckon it will have paid for itself.

Have anyone ever heard about rolling V75?
I have one 80 bass but im still not sure who's the manufacturer!!!or country

Even with the better "made in China" boxes the problems that are lurking are not immediately apparent.
I recently heard a Hohner Verdi II from one of the later years of production (probably made in China) and while it sounds fine it does not sound at all like an older Verdi II (especially the bass side is weak on the newer one). And from my repair community I also learned that the Chinese springs (for keys and bass pallets) have a reputation for breaking whereas the older German springs very rarely if ever broke. It's that durability aspect you cannot really see when deciding whether to buy a Chinese accordion or not.

ED:
Many thanks for reviving this old post. It was in the old forum and our members here should be pleased with it.
What I find unique is that all these brand names are from only the 4 accordion makers in China !!

How about "Cyclop"? I had a Club box through my hands recently and found one of the reed plates had been in upside down from new! It definitely had the quality which I'd expect from China.

Back