• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Chinese Manufactured Accordion Model List

I noticed that the newer Amica models (not the model I had) are called “Amica Forte.” Do you know whether that is simply a change in the model’s name, or whether it reflects a genuine design change of some sort which, presumably, improved the strength of its tone?

I noticed that the newer Amica models (not the model I had) are called “Amica Forte.” Do you know whether that is simply a change in the model’s name, or whether it reflects a genuine design change of some sort which, presumably, improved the strength of its tone?
I guess they named that for suggesting a deeper sound especially on bass, to trick people with your type of unsatisfaction. I ve listened in a video. Not liked it. Hohner treble is already lesser volumed anyways and needs good strategic bass usage sometimes. Adding deeper bass (like %15 deeper) worsened that situation to my view, separating balance more. It resembles that to a low end Weltmeister Cassotto models. There is a cassotto there but there is not a good effect as a cassotto supposed to make. :giggle:

To keep prices low some production steps may be skipped (like "voicing") and quality control is lacking so buying these accordions is often hit or miss.

This is the case with other instruments too. I have a "cheap Chinese" plywood double bass. For jazz and bluegrass it sounds great and I often have other musicians complimenting me on its tone. It may be that I was lucky and got a good one? But it was badly damaged by the previous owner's mother (!), repaired by a decent luthier, and properly set up afterwards.

In my case it could be either doing the setup properly, or just being lucky in the quality control lottery.

This is the case with other instruments too. I have a "cheap Chinese" plywood double bass. For jazz and bluegrass it sounds great and I often have other musicians complimenting me on its tone. It may be that I was lucky and got a good one? But it was badly damaged by the previous owner's mother (!), repaired by a decent luthier, and properly set up afterwards.

In my case it could be either doing the setup properly, or just being lucky in the quality control lottery.
The daughter of an older Chinese PhD student I once had played the violin and they bought a violin in China, which was then "fixed" by a local violin maker and after fixing it to "European standards" it became quite a good violin.

Back