• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
This guy (with a name I cant pronounce, but assume is Polish) is very prolific and (to me) has excellent audio technique is worth a hearing.
BTW, what is the instrument (Walther) he’s playing in some of his other clips?

Dunno about his other instruments, but in this video he is playing a Hohner Imperator, which is an interesting instrument as it has *all* reeds in cassotto. This may contribute to the "audio technique" you are observing.

Actually I did find out the “Walther” is a line by Weltmeister. Here is a lower spec one in the line being demonstrated at Liberty Bellows . Not a bad sound in my opinion!

Here’s Zbigniew with a higher spec model of The Walther  :)

debra said:
Dunno about his other instruments, but in this video he is playing a Hohner Imperator, which is an interesting instrument as it has *all* reeds in cassotto. This may contribute to the "audio technique" you are observing.

It's also the only accordion that I know with 21 right hand registers... *all* different, none repeating.  Saw/played it in real life once... very nice instrument... didn't know all the reeds were in Cassotto.  :)

JerryPH pid=66550 dateline=1565439767 said:
debra pid=66545 dateline=1565355065 said:
Dunno about his other instruments, but in this video he is playing a Hohner Imperator, which is an interesting instrument as it has *all* reeds in cassotto. This may contribute to the audio technique you are observing.

Its also the only accordion that I know with 21 right hand registers... *all* different, none repeating.  Saw/played it in real life once... very nice instrument... didnt know all the reeds were in Cassotto.  :)

The Imperator has a very peculiar internal construction. Look it up on Google Images. When you look from the inside it looks much like a traditional accordion with 2 reeds in cassotto and 2 or 3 outside (2 for the Imperator IV, 3 for the Imperator V. But when you look closer you see that the keyboard is on the other side. The reeds that are hidden under the keyboard and register mechanism are actually the non cassotto reeds, but a chamber on that side acts like a cassotto. Where you then would normally expect the non-cassotto reeds to sit is where the cassotto is. And just when your engineering mind tells you this cannot work because the pallets would be pushed closed by the keys instead of open, there is an extra lever for each key (some accordions use that, like the Atlantic IV, not the IV N, my Pigini bass accordion, and others) that reverses the direction so the pallets really open in the cassotto.
It is an intricate design not found in any other accordion.
I am trying to link to an image below. The image is actually from an Imertator IV which does not have the double row of registers, but it has the same construction which shows that no reeds have their sound coming straight out of the acordion.
546_16.jpg

Thanks for the information on the Horner Imperator. Who would have expected all that technical brilliance inside the somewhat unassuming exterior! :huh:

Dingo40 said:
Thanks for the information on the Horner Imperator. Who would have expected all that technical brilliance inside the somewhat unassuming exterior! :huh:

Well, I suspect that this "technical brilliance" was what was needed to get a more mellow sound from a "metalbau" box. The Atlantic where metalbau was introduced in has a rather sharp tone (compared for instance to an otherwise similar Verdi with a traditional wooden box). The Imperator's clever construction manages to tone down the non-cassotto reeds (by essentially the equivalence to a second cassotto). A more mellow sound is much easier to obtain by simply not using metalbau.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back