• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Catraro Reeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

danp76

Reaction score
How good are the Catraro reeds used in Titano accordions? Did Catraro offer both hand made and had finished reeds in the Titano accordions? What years did Titano use this reed brand? Is the Virtuoso chambered accordion similar in quality to a Sonola AA20, while the Sonola SS20 would be like the Titano Royal?

Many questions... I don't have the answers except that the Catraro reeds were indeed very good. They were unique in having two rivets side by side, providing better transfer of vibrations and better resistance to rotating the reed out of alignment. Trouble now is of course that these reeds are no longer available. There is a small stock at for instance Victoria, which they need to service old instruments (like that of Richard Galliano). But you cannot now build a new accordion with Catraro reeds unless you find an old accordion that has been run over by a truck or something like that.

Many questions... I don't have the answers except that the Catraro reeds were indeed very good. They were unique in having two rivets side by side, providing better transfer of vibrations and better resistance to rotating the reed out of alignment. Trouble now is of course that these reeds are no longer available. There is a small stock at for instance Victoria, which they need to service old instruments (like that of Richard Galliano). But you cannot now build a new accordion with Catraro reeds unless you find an old accordion that has been run over by a truck or something like that.
Thank you Debra, are there different grades/qualities of Catraro reeds? When did these reed maker stop making these reeds? Is there a "best" in hand made reeds from the classic accordions? Probably subjective.

Thank you Debra, are there different grades/qualities of Catraro reeds? When did these reed maker stop making these reeds? Is there a "best" in hand made reeds from the classic accordions? Probably subjective.
The best reeds in my subjective opinion are found in high-end accordions from the 1960s. I certainly have not worked on enough accordions to have encountered all possible reed makers... But the very best that I have seen are hand-made Taborro reeds (some marked Taborrov but the v may not be part of the name). They have the best sound and they are very strong, so the are not easily degrading in quality due to scratching and filing in the tuning process.

The best reeds in my subjective opinion are found in high-end accordions from the 1960s. I certainly have not worked on enough accordions to have encountered all possible reed makers... But the very best that I have seen are hand-made Taborro reeds (some marked Taborrov but the v may not be part of the name). They have the best sound and they are very strong, so the are not easily degrading in quality due to scratching and filing in the tuning process.
What accordions offered these reeds? In your opinion where do the Catraro reeds rank? Is the Titano Royal a top 1960's accordion? Or are there others much better?...again probably subjective

What accordions offered these reeds? In your opinion where do the Catraro reeds rank? Is the Titano Royal a top 1960's accordion? Or are there others much better?...again probably subjective
How about a Virtuoso?

The accordions I found Tabboro reeds in were Guerrini. But as I said, I have not seen enough accordions to know all reed brands and which manufacturer used which reeds.

Excellent reeds, but no cassotto in this particular one...
I have a Virtuoso free bass with a chamber, I'm surprised they used hand finished, instead of hand made reeds in it. I'm not sure what brand of reeds it has.

I have a Virtuoso free bass with a chamber, I'm surprised they used hand finished, instead of hand made reeds in it. I'm not sure what brand of reeds it has.
I'm not too familiar with the Titano models, but the Virtuoso isn't the top model as far as I know, so the lack of hand made reeds may account for that (leaving something better for the top models).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back