• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bugari Spectrum vs Pigini Nova

Hard to say. The Bugari Spectrum is still pretty new and it's hard to find recordings using it. I do not yet know anyone personally who plays one (hearing it live beats a recording). The Pigini Nova is much easier to hear, live and in recordings.
But generally, what you can expect is that the Pigini Nova sounds like a very very good Pigini. (It is also pretty light to play, clearly lighter to the touch than for instance a Sirius.) The Bugari Spectrum will sound like a very very good Bugari.
It's hard to find clear differences inside that can explain why a Pigini sounds like a Pigini and a Bugari sounds like a Bugari... but when you listen to them carefully, a good listener will never mistake a Pigini for a Bugari or vice versa...

I only have experience with new versions the next models down (artist/deluxe ranges). To my ears they are both excellent. The bugari is a touch more harmonically developed/mature, the pigini rather brighter in tone. I like mellower pianos rather than bright Yamaha's so my ears followed that same course for accordions. Everyone's ear is different and apparently as you get older your hearing deteriorates so brighter instruments sound more mellow to the older ear. The deterioration in hearing I think is very significant on informing what sounds good to you.

I only have experience with new versions the next models down (artist/deluxe ranges). To my ears they are both excellent. The bugari is a touch more harmonically developed/mature, the pigini rather brighter in tone. I like mellower pianos rather than bright Yamaha's so my ears followed that same course for accordions. Everyone's ear is different and apparently as you get older your hearing deteriorates so brighter instruments sound more mellow to the older ear. The deterioration in hearing I think is very significant on informing what sounds good to you.
The deterioration of the hearing is indeed very real. I have made a promise to myself that when I cannot hear C#8 clearly any more (the highest reeds in production, where C8 is the highest note on a piano) I will stop tuning accordions for other people.
At the moment my hearing is still more than sufficient to confirm your observation about the difference in tone between Bugari and Pigini.

"At the moment my hearing is still more than sufficient to confirm your observation about the difference in tone between Bugari and Pigini."

Take care of that good fortune - once good hearing is lost, hearing is very rarely regained.
And damage is cumulative, too.

Oh, look what I found:

1692999406520.png
There is a wooden CBA version that actually has the words SPECTRUM on it... these are gorgeous, but lately I am saying that about all the high end accordions... lol

My big question... they're using the "B" word... do they really have that deep resonant bass that a real Bayan has?

My big question... they're using the "B" word... do they really have that deep resonant bass that a real Bayan has?
Many of them do that; Bayan Sirius, Bayan 58B, Bayan Symphony, Bayan II, etc

It would make sense for the CBAs that actually have a 'bayan' style body (keyboard more towards the middle of the body), not so sure about the piano models

Interesting point @petch and @JerryPH.

I actually think that there is a move away from the B. word being used to describe converter free bass accordions. If you take a look at the Scandalli catalogue they do not name ANY of their current models using the word "bayan". Even Pigini, in their entire range of free bass accordions only use the word in a small number of the overall model lines. Certainly their top instrument is not named as a bayan. Bugari/Zero Sette however, and their associated brands still use the word quite a lot. Bugari name ALL of their top models with the term. In my opinion using Russian terminology to describe Italian design is outdated and poor marketing for a quality Italian product. The term "bayan" should have protected geographical status for only Russian (and associated territories) instruments that satisfy the definition in more than superficial ways (i.e. including having bayan reedplates etc).

For what it's worth, I vastly prefer the tone of a high quality Italian (or German) accordion over a true Bayan, so would happily see a naming system that better reflects the heritage of the Italian accordions.​

Last edited:
In my opinion using Russian terminology to describe Italian design is outdated and poor marketing for a quality Italian product. The term "bayan" should have protected geographical status for only Russian (and associated territories) instruments that satisfy the definition in more than superficial ways (i.e. including having bayan reedplates etc).​
I believe it started because originally those instruments were clones of Jupiter bayans, so I guess it's technically Russian design with some Italian refinement!

bugari spectrum is even more expensive than nova, 44,000 euros
To get truly reliable information about prices you need to be ready to go to Castelfidardo and talk to company representatives directly. Different accordion manufacturers do have catalogs with list prices (but most do not even publish those) so that dealers can show list prices and then offer a significant discount... but nobody publishes real prices.

Back