• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bugari Champion Cassotto King Size

Scottfree

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm considering buying this accordion. It's a C system converter. Does anyone know when these were made? Also, from the little amount of information I've been able to find online, it seems that this was a lower model in their model range at the time. Is that correct? Is it still considered a good accordion?
It's in excellent condition, but it's not here where I can play it. So if I buy it, I won't know how I like it until it gets here. I would appreciate any information anyone would have about this instrument. Thank you!
Scott

I would appreciate any information anyone would have about this instrument. Thank you!
Scott
Hi Scott,
Paul Debra knows a fair amount about Bugari CBAs and plays (and services) one or two.
Hopefully he'll chime in soon!🙂

The Bugari Champion Cassotto line of accordions is really good. (The Artist Cassotto is even better but there is very little between them and you need to hear two side by side to notice any difference.)
I have worked on both Champion Cassotto and Artist Cassotto accordions and in terms of construction they are virtually if not completely identical. There may just be a difference in reed manufacturer and type.
The term "King Size" appears to refer to the accordion having 49 notes instead of the standard 46. The current Bugari lineup no longer has a "king size" version but of course that doesn't mean Bugari can no longer make them. Their catalog does not contain everything they can (and are willing to) make.

Thank you Debra, I appreciate your reply! I just talked to someone at Bugari. He said this one is from the early 1980s.
Scott
Not much has changed so it should be a fine instrument.
But... after 40 years you may expect some issues with the wax having hardened and not gripping the reed plates as well as it did when new. I have experienced such issues very rarely occurring after 20 years, more frequently after 30 years and after 40+ years it may be worth considering having a complete re-wax done. However, there are also accordions that do not show any problems after 60 years... so ymmv.

Back