• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Beltuna Matrix?

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
I posted a similar question in the Accordion Chat board. Beltuna posted a “coming soon” video on their Facebook page. Beltuna also listed it as a product line on their website with no pictures, descriptions, etc. So please, if you have any info, solid or rumor, please let me know. I’m very curious, given that Beltuna likes to innovate.

I doubt anyone outwith the factory gates will know the exact accordion secrets that lie within Beltuna's laboratories.

However, the eagle eyed will notice words in the video saying: the lightest free bass acoustic accordion with endless possibilities.

We can also glean in the video that Beltuna are creating an accordion in button and piano versions with some carbon fibre elements and a contemporary grill design. To what extent is the instrument constructed of carbon fibre? Only time will tell.

From the pattern of dimple marks in the bass buttons of the piano accordion it appears to be a quint converter. Naturally there will be a number of other chromatic systems available too.

The big question, is this going to be another solenoid bass system or a traditional mechanical bass? I hope it is the traditional system. I am not a fan of battery powered accordions.
For now @Alan Sharkis we shall have to wait and with a bit of luck @danp76 might buy one and we can all get our vicarious dose of accordion therapy from reading all about the endless possibilities of MATRIX.

Last edited:
To add to my curiosity consider this: not only did Beltuna post the video on their Facebook page, but it was shared by Joe Natoli on the GR8 IDEAS page, which is devoted to digital and electronic accordions.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Alan Sharkis

The message "lightest free bass..." suggests that this accordion uses the solenoid-driven bass pallets (instead of the normal mechanically complex convertor mechanism). They don't say it, but it is their latest technological innovation so it would be a surprise if they didn't use it...

while i personally would not go for a solenoid bass system any
more than i would a stepper motorized bellows

nevertheless, logic could control a solenoid system the same as a MIDI
system, and thereby give an endless variety of (software switchable) bass
systems in one accordion, saving some musicians a lot of money over the long run
(similar to the selectable Roland Bass schemes)

carbon fibre does not particularly excite me either, as it solves problems
that largely did not exist anyway in my opinion.. while it may be nice and may be
an improvement in some areas, there are 70 to 100 year old accordions out there
that have lasted quite nicely without carbon fibre thank you very much

How do different materials reflect the sound ? that is really the variation from
Maple to Aluminum to Copper to Walnut to Oak.. none of the materials that
make up the strength of the Accordion resonate as they are locked down, therefore
it is in the reflection of sound waves that they can have an affect... not just tonally
but the various angles too..
(inside the reedblock chamber.. is it squared or rounded slightly ?
are sharp angles better or are curves better ? is the wood frequency reflection
improved with varnish or is it better with a simple Oiled finish ? )

how does the angle diffuse and remix the competing waveforms ?

what other ways can we bring forced or shaped mixture to bear ?

high frequencies are extremely directional, low ones can be re-inforced
by certain angles, can the wave mix that reaches your ears be sifted
in a way that equalizes and smoothes out the overall tone and volume ?

oh, and by the way, how may of you can still even hear above 8000 Htz ?

again, Gola was a master of equalizing tricks with his reedblocks and reeds...

i would prefer to see them spend time re-discovering those lost secrets
rather than carbon fibre grillework

the difference between Spruce Soundboards and Mahogany or Rosewood
is so vast it isn't even funny.. you can make a nice soundboard from Plywood too
but it just cannot even begin to compare to a quality Spruce soundboard

Maple is prized in instrument making for it's incredible strength and stability..
not for it's tone.. though it may make a nice hollow log drum, the cross plied
maple pinblock is what made Steinways higher tension cross-strung Piano Harp system
actually possible.. and things like bridges that cleanly transmit the energy in vibrating strings
TO a resonant soundboard also benefit from density and physical stability and strength

i DO agree that the total sum of an instrument shapes the sound it produces..
but do walnut keys, their unique grain pattern, primarily affect the linear stability
of your keyboard or did they use the Walnut as a sales gimmick, or does the
sound escaping under the keys magically get changed somehow due to the nice dark wood?

I totally agree @Ventura. Lets try to build better sounding accordions. Recover the old secrets of sound and maybe, just maybe, find a few of our own.
I would very much like someone to come up with a reed construction that supports a non-destructive tuning method. That would be truly innovative! Maybe something can be learnt from the way a Fender piano is tuned...

"...oh, and by the way, how may of you can still even hear above 8000 Htz ?"

...or even over 2,000Hz after their 60th birthday.
I have not had a check recently, but I can still hear it when the C#8 (the highest reed that is made) is out of tune, and for a tuning app to measure that note the sample frequency needs to be set at 48.000 Hz. (The app cannot hear the note when the sample frequency is 44.100Hz.)
However... many people cannot hear that when you play in the MH register on a bayan it switches to MM when you go above the highest note for which a reed still exists.
Everyone I know can still hear whether the piccolo notes up to and including C#8 are still playing or are blocked (by a dust particle). And that requires hearing up to around 4.500 Hz at least. Many of these people I know are well over 60...

"Many of these people I know are well over 60..."

A-a-h-h! One of the advantages of leading a quiet life :D
Oh I wish... Many of these people have accordions in need of repair and/or tuning... I'm still at about twice the number of repairs per year of what I was hoping for when I retired from my "normal" job...

I would very much like someone to come up with a reed construction that supports a non-destructive tuning method. That would be truly innovative! Maybe something can be learnt from the way a Fender piano is tuned...
that would be an amazing improvement on so many levels

if i recall correctly, the Fender Tines have coils near the tip, and you move them
slightly inward or outward to change the pitch ? or is that the Wurlitzer

long long time since i was inside one of those beasts

that would be an amazing improvement on so many levels

if i recall correctly, the Fender Tines have coils near the tip, and you move them
slightly inward or outward to change the pitch ? or is that the Wurlitzer

long long time since i was inside one of those beasts
I only have the word of a piano tuner for this. Apparently there are two things you can do: you can adjust the vibrating "thing" (not a reed) to adjust the pitch, and you can adjust the coil position to change the timbre of the note. I have never looked inside these beasts myself.

I only have the word of a piano tuner for this. Apparently there are two things you can do: you can adjust the vibrating "thing" (not a reed) to adjust the pitch, and you can adjust the coil position to change the timbre of the note. I have never looked inside these beasts myself.
I’m not quite visualizing this, but it brings to mind the tuning mechanism of a regal, with an adjustable tuning rod that slides across the reed. That would be so many extra parts though!

Beltuna has been an innovator in the past few years. First, using carbon fiber for body parts, and then, the solenoid-actuated pallets in the bass with a rechargeable battery to power them. I can’t help but wonder what’s next.

I just thought of this. Ventura, like many of us, would like the makers to bring back the techniques that made older accordions sound so good. Well, rather than give the “Progress Marches On” speech that we’ve all heard ad nauseum, I’d like to pose a question:

Could it be that those techniques are known or could be researched successfully, but the cost of employing them, coupled with the cost or availability of the old materials would be prohibitive?

Last edited:
i would imagine it is more they are investing in things
(actually good or merely promotionally good)
that make their accordions different from their competitors

take reeds and finishing of the reeds... there are precious few rolling mills
left in existence where you can craft spring steel, and like most other basic
materials there is not enough demand for marginal industries to specify
anything other than "give me a standard roll of 30/6"

at one time there were many rolling mills.. around Pittsburgh you could
get them to do pretty much anything to steel, any thinness any temper

i mean my God they could make paper thin blue steel razor blades !

the guys that worked in the rolling mills actually grabbed the end of the feed as it
popped through and routed it back in to the next line of squishers.. it was really amazing !
they tapped the controls (big bolts and levers) to set the next squeeze

hot !

the steel was often still red and seeing the line zip through the dies was like
watching a flexible laser beam with no beginning and no end

so the end result today is likely no matter how good you might get at the time consuming
(therefore very costly) art of reedmaking there is actually gonna be very little difference
perceived between you and the next guys accordion (by the customer) anyway
because everyone is using the same steel

how about leather ? we all know we want real leather but our industry cannot
compete with the Italian Sofa and fashion Shoe industries... so we are left
with plastic and artificial and on occasion actual leather reedvalves

how about longevity ? We are so accustomed to 60 and 70 year old accordions
still being awesome and playable but what builder wants to make that happen today ?
for sure solenoid bass and stepper bellows will NOT be working 20 or 30 years from now

do they still use trenched cardboard for the bellows ? do they make sure
the impurities are fully washed out of the bellows cloth ?

can you recognize the thin asian mahogany plywood many use for
their plates and body panels from Western Mahogany (that has actual strength)

does anyone really think these hard as marble (but pretty) Lucite keytops
used by everyone today are better feeling than the old materials ?
(hint: big Piano makers do not)

we could go on and on

plus, personally i feel the Italian apprentice system was utterly destroyed
by WW2 for the accordion industry, as it was very secretive and held
knowledge closely.. too many masters died... too many apprentices never came back..
too many machines were confiscated by the Germans and melted down
for war material

i still believe Dallape sucessfully hid a huge stash of finished sets of reeds..
but were they ever able to again make reeds of that caliber by the time
they needed more ?

hey i am glad there is still some life left in this business, and i hope the future
is fun for accordionists.. certainly some of these new boxes are worth playing
and worth owning

but you cannot buy a new Gola that is worthy of the name or many other
resuscitated classic models we see popping up

Back