• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bass buttons sound without pressing any button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogercr27

Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought a nice Hohner Atlantic IIIN but it has a little problem in the bass side: few of the bass notes are making a slight sound when compressing the bellows without any buttons being pressed (only when pushing in). I have no experience repairing accordions and was wondering why that happens and if that’s easily fixable? 

Thanks

It's normal for one or more notes to make a slight sound when you compress the bellows WITH A LOT OF FORCE but not normal when you compress it with no more force than you would use while playing.
Air pressure is pushing from the inside on all the pallets of all the notes. These pallets are held close by means of springs, which you hope all provide just enough force to keep the pallets closed. It is possible that in the bass mechanism some adjustment was done that adds a bit of pressure already from a bass piston. The pistons should not do that and it can be adjusted by an accordion repair person. It is not a lot of work (meaning that it's not an expensive repair).

Thanks. I dont compress with any extra force, just normal gentle compression.

Some Hohner Atlantics were fitted with foam/leather pallet facings. The foam disintegrates over time and this causes the pallets to leak. The only solution (if this is the case) is to replace the pallet facings. I’ve done this more times than I can remember now. You can check to see what your facings are made of by looking at the treble side. If they’ve started to deteriorate chances are they will all need replacing. Its also possible that someone replaced the treble pallets but not the bass side.
You can look at the condition of the pallets on the bass side (sort of) by first noting which notes are sounding, then removing the bass end and the reed blocks and observe the pallets through the air holes.
Replacing pallet facings isn’t too difficult on an Atlantic, but a set of facings are not cheap and it takes quite a bit of time.
Oh..and make sure you get pallet facings that are exactly the same thickness as the old ones otherwise you'll be in a world of problems, esp with the bass machine.

jollyrogeraccordions said:
Some Hohner Atlantics were fitted with foam/leather pallet facings. The foam disintegrates over time and this causes the pallets to leak. The only solution (if this is the case) is to replace the pallet facings. I’ve done this more times than I can remember now. ...
This was indeed a serious issue with older Atlantics. The Atlantic III N should not have this problem. The N series should have normal felt+leather pads, not the disintegrating foam. But the condition of the pads is always something to check.

debra said:
Some Hohner Atlantics were fitted with foam/leather pallet facings. The foam disintegrates over time and this causes the pallets to leak. The only solution (if this is the case) is to replace the pallet facings. I’ve done this more times than I can remember now. ...
This was indeed a serious issue with older Atlantics. The Atlantic III N should not have this problem. The N series should have normal felt+leather pads, not the disintegrating foam. But the condition of the pads is always something to check.

Right. I think however the poster should check the facings/condition of the pallets before doing anything else. I had an Atlantic where someone had actually stuck on new pallets...but felt side down!!

Right. I think however the poster should check the facings/condition of the pallets before doing anything else. I had an Atlantic where someone had actually stuck on new pallets...but felt side down!!

That's bad! Some people also try to skimp on the cost by trying to only buy new felt and reuse the leather from the old pads...
There is no end to the amount of butchering we sometimes find inside accordions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back