• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Badinerie - J.S.Bach - Digital Accordion cover - Live flute duet

breezybellows

Reaction score
Free bass and orchestral sounds open up a new world of opportunities in the free bass accordion. it makes my Bugari Evo a much more interesting proposition. I'm playing this with flute sounds for both the left hand free bass and the right hand treble. I really like the sound. I previously tried to use the concert bass sound for the left hand. But I didn't manage to adjust the sound settings to make it sound good with the right hand flute.

Do you have a way to record the accordion's MIDI output? I'd be interested how different the results would be when wheeling your play through an old Solton arranger/expander of mine. There is no question that the accordion patches of this old thing are woefully primitive compared to the V accordions, but it would be interesting how more orchestral applications fare.

Do you have a way to record the accordion's MIDI output? I'd be interested how different the results would be when wheeling your play through an old Solton arranger/expander of mine. There is no question that the accordion patches of this old thing are woefully primitive compared to the V accordions, but it would be interesting how more orchestral applications fare.
I haven't tried it before. How do I do it?

I haven't tried it before. How do I do it?
I don't have anything even close to an EVO. It depends on how forthcoming the instrument is whether it will volunteer to record any MIDI on its own (it does have USB stick access, right?). That would be by far the easiest way, but I have no idea whether the instrument provides that possibility. What should always work is to connect a MIDI cable to a USB/MIDI interface (unfortunately there is a wagonload of those on the market that mangles polyphony, often with a fantasy clef printed on them) and then use a MIDI sequencer program on a computer. It depends on what audio hardware is available (some soundcards have MIDI interfaces one can use here) whether one can make this fly without further hardware. There are also MIDI devices (like MIDI arrangers) that are standalone and can record MIDI on USB stick or (cough cough) floppy disk.

So if this would entail extra hardware or unreasonable effort, please disregard: this is just idle curiosity, nothing of importance.

I don't have anything even close to an EVO. It depends on how forthcoming the instrument is whether it will volunteer to record any MIDI on its own (it does have USB stick access, right?). That would be by far the easiest way, but I have no idea whether the instrument provides that possibility. What should always work is to connect a MIDI cable to a USB/MIDI interface (unfortunately there is a wagonload of those on the market that mangles polyphony, often with a fantasy clef printed on them) and then use a MIDI sequencer program on a computer. It depends on what audio hardware is available (some soundcards have MIDI interfaces one can use here) whether one can make this fly without further hardware. There are also MIDI devices (like MIDI arrangers) that are standalone and can record MIDI on USB stick or (cough cough) floppy disk.

So if this would entail extra hardware or unreasonable effort, please disregard: this is just idle curiosity, nothing of importance.
I believe it has a MIDI out. I've never used it. My only prior experience using MIDI was when I used a MIDI keyboard with Logic Pro on my Macbook. The output was an audio file. I'll need to see how I can extract just the MIDI output as a file. Is that what I need to do?

I believe it has a MIDI out. I've never used it. My only prior experience using MIDI was when I used a MIDI keyboard with Logic Pro on my Macbook. The output was an audio file. I'll need to see how I can extract just the MIDI output as a file. Is that what I need to do?
Essentially yes. The MIDI out connector sends timed events for key presses and similar. MIDI files are structured in a manner where they record both those events as well as their timing. MIDI files can also record additional information that doesn't go through MIDI connectors, like the current key signature. So if one can convince a device like a keyboard to record its own MIDI files, those files usually contain more complete information than what gets out via the MIDI out connector. However, this is more important for things like rhythm machines and arrangers than devices that only send out events physically initiated by the user (and I think that's more or less the idea with V accordions).

A device that offers to do its own recording is always preferred to recording the MIDI out. I just don't know whether the EVO would do it. My stone-age FR-1b doesn't which is not surprising since it has nowhere a USB stick could go.

I could trivially use my expander with the MIDI from notation software and have entered the Badinierie (without dynamics so far) into it. But that\s a mechanical performance and not a good comparison I guess.

ok i will try

MIDI is data, that's all it is

it is the handler in all V-Accordions between your fingers on the keyboard
and the sound generation hardware

sending it "out" to another device is simply "CC" ing it like you do
an eMail you want to send to two or more people

the software that is used to accept this type of data on a computer
or a dedicated device is called a sequencer

a sequencer is to MIDI data what a Word Processor is to a modern day paperback Writer

a word processor keeps the alphabet in the order you need for the specific story
you are writing, keeps the spacing, the font, the capitals, the underlines, the italics

a Sequencer starts with the beat, keeps a tempo so the notes are in measured order,
and keeps (each) the time the note begins, length, how and when it ends, and intensity during

if you send the data back into the V-Accordion and use it's sound generator,
the result should sound exactly the same.

since it is data, it is then rather infinitely able to be manipulated, as well as being
played back infinite times with no change or loss

data is data

the basic MIDI sends information on up to 16 channels at a time, with
accordions typically using track 1 for melody, 2 for Chords 3 for Bass
some use 2 for bass 3 for chords..

on the computer screen there are usually a variety of visual representations
you can use to view and work with the data including "Sheet Music"

Back