• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Back pad that fits Roland FR-1xb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo

Reaction score
Do pads come in standard sizes? Is the FR-1xb one of those standard sizes?

How about this (first photo)?

I dont remember the size (will measure later when Im at home).

I bought it from Liberty Bellows. Note that the pad is listed as for PA (square corners), not for CBA (rounded corners).

Dumb question: how does it attach? My 1xb doesn't have snaps like my old acoustic PA did.

The dimensions of the pad are 11X13.

The pad came with 4 female snaps already installed, and included 4 male snaps and screws. Two of preserved locations on the back of the FR-1xb matched the two snaps at the corners of the pad. The other two (red arrows) didnt match. Before attaching the male snaps to the accordion, I opened up the accordion to make sure the screws wouldnt hurt anything. If they had, I would have used Velcro tape instead.

Attachments

• Fr-1xbBack.jpg
    Fr-1xbBack.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 941
pentaprism said:
The dimensions of the pad are 11X13.

The pad came with 4 female snaps already installed, and included 4 male snaps and screws. Two of preserved locations on the back of the FR-1xb matched the two snaps at the corners of the pad.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Thanks!

A back pad protects the players clothing as well as the bellows.

There must be a point to having a bellows pad.... but I still cant see what it is.
I reckon that the bellows will rub on the pad just as much as on a shirt...so why bother?
http://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=809
Not sure I accept the shirt button theory but many obviously find it a viable argument.
I've had both a back pad and without and honestly think that both are just fine.

In some cases a back pad is necessary. This need varies on the size of the accordion and body size of the player. An accordionist
performing standing up has a definite need for one as it prevents wear on clothing and bellows. Most Female accordionists find
a back pad a necessity in all cases ??!!

In some cases a back pad is necessary. This need varies on the size of the accordion and body size of the player. An accordionist
performing standing up has a definite need for one as it prevents wear on clothing and bellows. Most Female accordionists find
a back pad a necessity in all cases ??!!
Are you alluding to the all female topless accordion band? Ladies in Pain.

In that case the need for a back pad would be obviously necessary !!!!

I once had an accordion that needed a back pad and I found a kit with instructions to notch it because the lower shoulder pad mount was on the back of the accordion, not the bottom. That part seemed OK to me.

However, the mounts for the back pad itself were Velcro, and I got some advice for, and lots of advice against using Velcro. i decided to try the Velcro, and in my case it worked out fine. The naysayers all said that body heat would cause the Velcro tabs that went on the accordion to slip, causing a gooey mess. That never happened to me. I prepared the surface of the accordion with rubbing alcohol as directed. Could it be that cleaning the back of the accordion with alcohol and letting it evaporate completely made the difference?

I once had an accordion that needed a back pad and I found a kit with instructions to notch it because the lower shoulder pad mount was on the back of the accordion, not the bottom. That part seemed OK to me.

However, the mounts for the back pad itself were Velcro, and I got some advice for, and lots of advice against using Velcro. i decided to try the Velcro, and in my case it worked out fine. The naysayers all said that body heat would cause the Velcro tabs that went on the accordion to slip, causing a gooey mess. That never happened to me. I prepared the surface of the accordion with rubbing alcohol as directed. Could it be that cleaning the back of the accordion with alcohol and letting it evaporate completely made the difference?
I agree cleaning with alcohol on these self stick on products. Especially 3m products have this recommended. I found the product Goof Off takes the goo off, but think this product is the same as wd40? Although, it leaves an oily film and needs to be cleaned with alcohol pad.

A back pad protects the players clothing as well as the bellows.

I find the back pads useful to prevent the clothing and buttons from getting caught in the bellows folds.

The bellows tape on the edges of the folds protects the bellows.

I find the back pads useful to prevent the clothing and buttons from getting caught in the bellows folds.

The bellows tape on the edges of the folds protects the bellows.
Correct, do not think I will play without a pad. Fr1x I only use it for practice at home. Not sure why Fr1x came without backpad? Although, think the FR8x come without bellow straps? As I remember fr7 had the bellow straps…?

Correct, do not think I will play without a pad. Fr1x I only use it for practice at home. Not sure why Fr1x came without backpad? Although, think the FR8x come without bellow straps? As I remember fr7 had the bellow straps…?
Yes, correct, no bellows straps on th FR-8X. Strange but it works because the bellows are disabled when the power is off although I would prefer straps since I am accustomed to them. I guess if it was so important then I could add them, but it's not a great deal anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back