• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Amateur repairee needing assistance please - sticking key

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grannykins

Ok, so I've been playing my Welty for about 6 months, and a couple of months ago, after reading about repairing accordions, I fancied getting a cheap box just to look inside and mess around a bit. I picked up a little 24 bass Bell for £25 - totally unplayable but that was ok as it meant I couldnt ruin it :)
I've given it a good clean out, freed up the bass buttons that were stuck down, replaced both bellows gaskets and most of the bass and treble valves. (the ones that are left look ok). (Parts so far cost £25 from Charlie up in Scotland).
I've had the treble keys off now several times. I've managed to sort out all the notes apart from the stubborn G. No matter what I do (and I've used the accordion repair site) I cant manage to find out where its sticking and how to free it. It doesnt stick until the F# goes on the spindle too, so its possibly connected with that, but nothing I'm doing seems to work. Any ideas anyone?

Could the axles or rods be bent so the "ivories" are binding? What kind of axle pivot points and springs does it have? Maybe some pictures? Does it seem like a key or a reed issue? Ie. more info needed!

Hmm, ok. As a complete novice I'm not too sure about pivot points or springs, but think its more the key than the reed. Will take it to pieces again and see if I can get some pics. Thanks.

Hi Marie - 'sticking' could be a description for many things - So is it staying down once pressed? Or coming back up but still sounding the note? Staying up so you cant press it down?
If you are taking it apart check on a perfectly flat surface that the spindle is straight and has no rough bits adding friction -pay attention partic where the offending key was.
If all good:
Can you swap the key for one the same shape (octave up or down) and see if that one also sticks? If does now but didnt when in original position its to do with the position and not the key - poss spindle rough or slightly bent or catching nearby key etc.
And if the one that was sticking is still sticking in the new position (and t'other isnt) then its the key - spindle hole - clean and/or ptfe dry lube - or its a weak spring.
If its the latter come back for more advice. Good luck!

Thanks. Havent had chance to take it apart again yet due to work.

Sticking as in staying down when pressed. I did think of swapping keys around, but that isnt possible as the bits that cover the holes are bent and shaped differently so dont fit. Spring doesnt appear to be weak. Will have a good look at the spindle.

Hi Granny,

Often times the key will stick down becausee the wood forming the bottom of the key (right unter the "ivory" and/or back toward the axle or piviot point.) will bind up on the sides of the channel that it sits in when it is pushed down. If you slowly push the key down you can kind of feel it rubbing against the sides. This will cause the key to stay down because the spring is not able to overcome the friction. Now, this may not be at all the case on yours but I have found this to be quite common on older accordions. Sometimes a gentle bending of the key assembly will correct this. Other times I have had to carve out small bits of wood to overcome the binding. Hope this helps, Tom

Hi Tom, thanks. I did think initially that it felt like the channel. But I did carve bits out, and it didnt do the trick :(

Thanks anyway :)

Hmmm, a mystery to be sure. Seems to pivot Ok and freely, the spring seems good, not binding up.... ??? Well, hope you can figure it out, I'm stumped.

Me too - I'm hoping its the spindle. Then I just have to order another one.
If all else fails, I may end up taking it to the Birmingham Accordion Center where my Welty was serviced, and making him let me watch him fix it :D

Is itnpossible to remove the spindle (axle)? I've taken them out and cleaned with light oil or steel wool and that has helped.

Sticking key issues I`ve come across (in old weltmeister factory boxes) have been due to wood swelling - both the comb the keys rest in and the keys themselves are wood and all it took was to remove the key (after a long fight with the Spindle) and shave wood off one or both parts ..

Spindles can be bought from Charlie Marshall, who also has a large range of Melodeon and Accordion spares

http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/

Had the spindle off and cleaned and all keys out several times. I didnt, however, check it on a flat surface, as Soulsaver suggested. Going away for a few days tomorrow, but will have a check when we get back if I dont get chance to do it today.

I assume if you put it on the spindle in its position, it turns totally freely while not in the keyboard?

Good resource CGM and Charlie very helpful.

Charlie has indeed been helpful with my other parts. Will turn the spindle when I next open it up. Thanks for all help and comments so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back