• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Aleksandr Hrustevich

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simonking

Every time I browse Youtube and the like, I seem to find incredible performances by first-class accordionists who are virtually unknown in the English-speaking world. So heres some top-notch playing in a solo concert given by Aleksandr Hrustevich (I believe hes from Ukraine):

You're absolutely right, top performance by this accordionist.

And we only get to see and hear a fraction of these top players in YT videos.
There are thousands of same level bayanists and accordionists in Eastern Europe, Russia and Asia.
My Alfred Mirek book has a chapter with short biographies starting in the 19th century, vast majority of these are completely unknown in the West. All excellent accordionists.

Foreign languages and linguistic issues on the net can be a barrier to learn more about these players, and the "embargo" on classical music on accordion or the free bass accordion in some Western accordion clubs and societies...

No reactions so far from forum members on this interesting post here about A. Hrustevich.
Isn't it a shame I'm the only one reacting so far on your interesting post ?

Thank's to the internet classical accordionists and bayanists get more publicity for their art of bayan/accordion playing.

Standing ovation from Belgium to A. Hrustevich for his playing !

No reaction yet from me, it's true, I expect I will love it but I was out last night listening to live music, which included classical freebass accordion, amongst a lot of completely unrelated music, cos that's how we roll in the W Midlands, taking the music to the people, they don't know they want it till they hear it etc. etc.

I usually hesitate to comment on professionals' playing on the forum, because to be honest my opinion is worthless. If I feel an amateur player has done something musical, I'll tend to chip in and say so because they may appreciate it, but it feels arrogant for me to say that Mr Hrustevich can play. But I do enjoy these clips that get posted and they add to my enjoyment of the accordion, so thanks Simon for posting and I look forward to hearing it.

I read the post about A. Hrustevich a few minutes after it was posted, but waited a day to see if someone would react.
Just noticed last year and this year posts about classical accordionists get very little attention, and I have the impression, sometimes subjected to turning a blind eye on these posts.

Nothing personal about members, it just strikes me now and then these artists are pretty much ignored here (although there are a few posts on him and other bayanists here on this forum), regardless of these classical accordionists or bayanists living in the West or the East.
Being an amateur on the accordion , this does not stop me from encouraging the accordion to get more publicity in all genres of music, including classical music.

I'm pretty sure not all members of melodeon net are in a folk dance group. No need to dance to like the melodeons.

Well Matt and Stephen, I for another very much appreciate this kind of music on the accordion. It happens that Chiquilin de Bachin is on my current practise list, although I would quickly add, without the embellishments! Its a piece that stands on its own in its simplest form as its such a beautiful tune. Perhaps those of us whose first choice in music is along the more classic lines are more reserved, and do less spouting and more listening to the music. A few weeks ago I was privileged to travel to Liverpool with a group of my accordion friends to hear a concert by Ksenija Sidorova and violinist Thomas Gould. It was mind blowing experience for all of us, but I don't recall mention of it on this forum and come to think of it, there is very little talk of members attending any other similar events in the UK.

I think Stephen has a point in his post which is more relevant than many would admit when he says "the "embargo" on classical music on accordion or the free bass accordion in some Western accordion clubs and societies..." I couldn't agree more and will no doubt be shot down by those who have more mainstream western tastes in the way the accordion is perceived.

Pete

Thank's for the reply
There is hope thought, I remember from recitals years ago the ones in the audience most opposed to bayanists and classical accordionists at the beginning of the recital, well, these were the first to stand up for a standing ovation after the encores and bis of these bayanists.
Have witnessed this in several recitals in France and Belgium in the late 1980s and 1990s.

For the moment, stay safe and keep your head down deep in the trenches :)

This young man plays marvellously and is certainly something to aspire to.
I imagine that classical music in general is "less appreciated" in clubs the world over.
Not especially the accordion.
For the occasional listener, more popular music is more approachable.
Classical music takes a number of listening sessions before the "penny drops" after which you can't imagine why others aren't so enthusiastic as yourself.
I have this same issue in a choir I belong to.
Introducing a new and modern piece often causes moaning in the coffee break from some members but after a few practice sessions they're "literally" singing its praises.

I agree you are right about the number of listening sessions for classical music, this has been my experience when I started at 11/12 discovering and listening to classical music records (some still wrapped in plastic and never opened in our house..).
However, I feel the number of listening sessions needed before the penny drops isn't too high. A few short movements in repeat modus on the music installation can do magic. And classical music never gets boring even after a zillion number of listening sessions.

And classical music never got me off track from listening to pop music. As a young teenager Iron Maiden was one of my favorite bands, and at school some pupils were real heavy metal fans.
No problem mixing renaissance lute music listening sessions with heavy metal guitar riffs on my stereo.
Guitar crazy when teenager, I was an accordion convert at 17/18... after hearing Bach played on classical concertina and accordion. Only 2 records with classical music on concertina and accordion was all I could find in Belgium in the late 1980s (1 in the library and 1 ordered in a music shop). We didn't have the internet browsers in the 1980s and early 1990s to discover classical accordion. So much easier today.

I posted this link, simply because it shows accordion playing of the highest quality. Most of us (all of us?) will never get near to this level of technique and musicianship, but seeing stuff like this give me a massive boost to go and do some practice, plus an almost equal measure of despair! Most professionals dont bother with forums, which is a shame as it would be nice to gather tips and directions from those who really know their craft. Many people on this forum are complete beginners wondering which one of their fingers to poke the keyboard with or just join up because they want to know how many thousands a musty old squeezebox they found in granddads attic is worth. I thought it was worth trying to bring to the level up a bit by pointing out and discussing performances such as this, might even attract more semi-pros and teachers to post here, you never know...

Pietro, youre very lucky having real-life accordion friends! I too saw Ksenija Sidorova and Thomas Gould in Bristol earlier this year I think it was. Naturally, I went primarily to see the accordion aspect which was of course brilliant, but Thomas Goulds playing also unexpectedly knocked me for six, he was so good. I ended up buying at least three CDs after the show.

In the interests of balance, here is some god-awful playing on a terrible instrument. Makes my ears bleed:

Pietro said:
It happens that Chiquilin de Bachin is on my current practise list, although I would quickly add, without the embellishments!

The arrangement by Franck Angelis is on the link I posted in a seperate thread (http://www.818daily.com/sheets/chiquilin-de-bachin ). I havent followed it all the way through but it looks to be substantially the same, and all for Stradella bass!

Which arrangement do you have? Ive learned this piece, but not that version (obviously) - the one in Akkordeon-Pur Piazzolla book 2 (arr. Hans-Guenther Koelz, sounds like its based on a Richard Galliano recording).

Simon.

I enjoyed the young man's playing very much! I play a little bit of classical music, but prefer more of the old pop and country songs. Growing up with the accordion, I played a lot of classical, my audiences today do not seem to prefer classical, therefore I play a very limited amount.

I listen to all video that are posted, I don't' normally comment on all of them though. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them. Just saying . . .

Brandy

Yes, great playing and great music to listen to. My YouTube thing only seems to do up to nine minutes but this was definitely one of those occasions I wanted to hear the whole thing. As others have said I am sure this would appeal to many and not just a hardcore of enthusiasts. Thank you for posting.

And as I have thought before, there are learning points even for idiots like me in these virtuoso videos, e.g. Stopping the bellows, relaxation of the hands and arms.

It's true. You can learn a lot from his "the accordion is playing itself " style. So relaxed.

That's a very good point. Why should music be catagorised? I wouldn't be surprised if a number of thesis have been written on this subject and not come to a firm conclusion. I enjoy Kalina Krasnya by Semionov and Zolotoryov's Sonato No 2. (But not the second movement, not my taste, a bit slow ) Some of the modern pieces for Bayan are, difficult to listen to, but I put that down to my lack of appreciation. Anyway, Mr Hrustevich is a very,very fine musician. Listen to and enjoy what you like and if you don't like it, don't listen.

Pietro said:
It happens that Chiquilin de Bachin is on my current practise list, although I would quickly add, without the embellishments!

Which arrangement do you have?
Simon.[/quote]

Simon I have an arrangement by Nikolai Ryskov.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back