• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Advice on a good piano accordion for Irish Trad Music

austy

Reaction score
Hello all and greetings from the Emerald Isle...
To cut to the chase... I used to play the box to a high standard as a late teen.... And life etc got in the way until about 4 years ago.

Back playing in a big way now and loving it... Putting time into repertoire and technique...
My accordion... 96 base Paolo Soprani... Incredible (very heavy) box... But when properly played can be very gentle. I had it tuned to resemble the dry swing tone of Irish music.

Unfortunately, after a gig last weekend, the box fell.... And the base metal support is twisted... Making it a HUGE job to get refurbished.

So.... Recognising that the box I was playing is about 40 years old.... I am looking for a good replacement.

I have been lucky to get a loan of a Fantini 96 base.... Smaller keyboard... Sounds good... But lacks the delicacy and response of the Paolo....

Would love to hear views here from all ye experts in relation to what you think the model I should consider...

I understand that any model depends on how one plays and how they want the sound to be....

Two considerations....
1. When playing with others.... I want to compliment them.... Not to drown them out...
2. At times... It is needed for me to lead... Hence, there needs to be a bit of power....

Many thanks!

Have you taken your Paolo Soprani to a professional to see if they could repair it? Sometimes what we see as a huge issue is merely a big issue and in some cases worth the time to get fixed.

By the way " 96 base Paolo Soprani... Incredible (very heavy) box..."
Hohner Morino's which are very popular in that style of music weight about double. :D

Have you taken your Paolo Soprani to a professional to see if they could repair it? Sometimes what we see as a huge issue is merely a big issue and in some cases worth the time to get fixed.

By the way " 96 base Paolo Soprani... Incredible (very heavy) box..."
Hohner Morino's which are very popular in that style of music weight about double. :D
Yes.... I brought it to a well known lad in Galway.... Very soft spoken.... And when he rang me... It was, I think, the first time he nearly cursed 🙈🤣

You want a keyboard made in the traditional way, wthout stamped metal "flanges", for fast keyboard action. Then ancient reeds, i.e. handmade. If the reeds are good enough, 2 sets of reeds are plenty.

Yes.... I brought it to a well known lad in Galway.... Very soft spoken.... And when he rang me... It was, I think, the first time he nearly cursed 🙈🤣
I am so sorry to hear that... BUT if it is special to you, it may be worth the effort, but that is a decision you need to make (which you may have already). :)

They are available... but sometimes not quite cheap:

The OP was looking for a PA recommendation, I think.
The caption for the 2nd video, unless I missed it, in the immediate post, doesn't say whether Mr, whelan is playing a C#/D,, D/C#, B/C etc. but I suspect it is none of the above, since he is standing, not the favored position for the Irish button box, which BTW might even rarely be in F/F#, I've heard.
Now I' ve heard it, the playing seems pretty good, whatever. Can't complain as some may believe is my wont.
I shall simply report that my impression of the player in the first is more favorable than the next, in that the style seems less hurried and more into the spirit of the "Old Country". Not so American.
If anyone needs a copy of Jerry O'Brien's method book for the D/C# button box, I can print it on demand.

Last edited:
Austy
As an Irish resident, you're probably familiar with a few PA jokes?
Maybe you even know some of the responses.

A typical viewpoint on The Session. Org. 🙂
"Re: Piano accordion as an instrument within Traditional Irish Music
Ha! That’s hysterical!"

Typical response by PA players on thesession.org to that viewpoint:

"Oh yeah? Well what about Karen Tweed?" :p

I am looking for a good replacement.
If you don't want to learn the proper instrument for Irish music - the melodion (which they confusingly tend to call a button accordion in Ireland) - I'd suggest these as the best sound and balance for playing with others, not least because they are made by companies that make melodions as their bread and butter:

Saltarelle (manufactured by Dino Baffetti)
UK dealer https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/all-squeezeboxes?*brand=1634&take=28
Sound

Castagnari (insanely expensive and only for the affluent)
UK dealer https://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/listing.cfm?accordions
Sound

If I was still playing piano accordion and needed an instrument for traditional music, I would seriously consider the Saltarelle Clifden. Below is a review. If two reeds per note and 60 bass is not enough for you, they also have the similar but larger three reed and 96 bass Cleggan.

Actually... Not jokes at all... As a piano accordion player... I usually cringe when I see another one coming into a session. They can too easily take over everything...
However, I am fortunate that usually... They are experienced... And are able to listen.... And contribute positively...

Many thanks folks for your great responses. Have tried a good few replacements in the past week... Had a Fantani 96 bass from a good friend of mine on loan for a gig last night... Not impressed with the action, response or lack of sensitivity....

However... The good news... I just got a 120 bass Borscini... Full midi enabled (handy for blue grass, rock gigs etc) and just an incredible acoustic sound... Even with my bias... Better than my old Paolo Soprani....
And the sealing of the deal was... When I looked at the mantle piece of the person I bought it from.... And there were 6 all Ireland medals (well .. world championship Fleadh Cheoil) there.... I figured... If it was good enough for him... It would be good enough for me!

Will post how it sounds as I am just off to another gig now... And then a week in a village called Miltown Malbay in Co. Clare... For the Willie Clancy Festival.... Certainly one of the best music festivals in the world (Irish music).... Put it in your calendars if ye ever decide to come to Ireland for a holiday!

Back