• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion Resources On The Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarvo

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I stumbled across this during a trawl for assistance with Fancy Chords ........

Bback story:

Last night I ventured out of the bedroom of instruments and took a guitar (and my wife for moral support)to the local music shop which hosts a variety of workshops and clubs and stuff............so I find myself in the Jazz Ensemble club :roll: (cos it was the only one running despite two other styles being on offer on the Core Music Calendar .........)with some eight to ten peple of varying ages and instruments and got a sheet of music stuffed in front of me and a very enthusiastic but seriously annoying lady called Fiona who ........no stop I digress.......I looked at the sheet of music for some thing called Lullaby Of Birdland by some gent called George Shearer........my first thought was
How many b@*%4X chords?

Then off they went like a steam train and me trying to keep up and not even knowing the tune .....nervous to boot and fingers ,eye brain co-ordination just not doing it....as ever when observed....and the guitarist next to me was a year into this stuff and really rather good......(yes mlud we will get to the point in due course)...........so I did what any self respecting Blues guitarist would do Identified the key and fell back onto the pentatonic and winged it with some noodling !.....which was not too bad .......howeverthe point that I have to make is this....(BobM bear with me)...I looked at the chords for this jazz piece and thought how the hell would you play these on a stradella.......Fm7.....DbMaj7......(why is that not Db7?) and some other juicy and eye watering Jazz :roll: chords.........

So having seen BobM talk and write about combining chords and different buttons to form chords not readily apparent on the stradella I had a look for something that might be an aid in that direction and found this : http://code.google.com/p/accordionbasstool/

Go to the page then click on Accordion Analyzer Web and Bobs your uncle......not our Bob.....though he may be !
It may be useful...........next week I may take the Ackordeen......although I would like to be asked back for a third week :lol:

jarvo said:
...I looked at the chords for this jazz piece and thought how the hell would you play these on a stradella.......Fm7.....DbMaj7......(why is that not Db7?)

These are some of the easier ones -
Fm7 = F bass (or counterbass) + Ab maj
DbMaj7 = Db bass (or counterbass) + F min

Other m7 and Maj7 chords can be played in exactly the same pattern - a great feature of the Stradella bass.
You can play a simplified accompaniment by using minor and major chords instead if you wish, but depending on what the melody is doing, you might not get the same harmonic feel.

DbMaj7 and Db7 (one includes a C (the major seventh of Db), the other a Cb (the flattened seventh)) are very different in sound and function.

I cant get the Accordion Analyser to work yet as I havent installed Java 6.

jarvo said:
......next week I may take the Ackordeen......although I would like to be asked back for a third week :lol:

Theres a jazz jam near me every few weeks and I really want to take the accordion, but have the same problem! I want to be good enough that I dont confirm what many people probably already expect from the accordion, but wont acheive that without playing at these kind of events... catch 22. At least I dont use musette tuning, so I suppose thats a good start... :p

jarvo said:
I looked at the sheet of music for some thing called Lullaby Of Birdland by some gent called George Shearer.

Er Chris, that’s George Shearing, who wrote “L O B”, a Londoner and blind pianist who started on the Accordion, so there’s hope for us all.. :)

jarvo said:
I looked at the chords for this jazz piece and thought how the hell would you play these on a stradella.......Fm7.....DbMaj7......(why is that not Db7?)

It’s because the Maj7th chord needs the well, major 7th of the scale, in this case a C, and has a very bright “sunny” sound. Try a Cmaj7 to an Fmaj7 on the RH, with single note bass run up, nice!

j

thanks for sharin this story

look forward to part 2 ..and you gettin to week 3

..hope there's a happy ending {}

jarvo said:
I looked at the sheet of music for some thing called Lullaby Of Birdland by some gent called George Shearer.

Er Chris, that’s George Shearing, who wrote “L O B”, a Londoner and blind pianist who started on the Accordion, so there’s hope for us all.. :)

jarvo said:
I looked at the chords for this jazz piece and thought how the hell would you play these on a stradella.......Fm7.....DbMaj7......(why is that not Db7?)

It’s because the Maj7th chord needs the well, major 7th of the scale, in this case a C, and has a very bright “sunny” sound. Try a Cmaj7 to an Fmaj7 on the RH, with single note bass run up, nice![/quote]

Double Doh.....thatll be Doh Doh then !! :mrgreen: {}

GOM said:
Try this link was a great help to me

http://www.accordionpage.com/chcomb.html

Regards
Thats the page I have printed and next to my music stand all the time.
I must admit that I forgot about the other tool mentioned above as I mainly use my tablet for this forum and of course such a sophisticated piece if Java programming is boiund not to work.
I think what I deed we need on the forum are some sticky posts that can be edited when new resources are discovered.
--------------------------------------------
Just tried it on a PC. A very good resource indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back