• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion Reed Blocks in a Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxplayer4000

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Accordion reed blocks in box.

This handmade box with two sets of accordion reed blocks has been handed to me. They contain 8’ and 4’ reeds. They appear to be a ‘spare’ set of reeds which would allow an owner to swap between a LMMH arrangement to LMMM depending on what sound he required at that time.

It was common practice here to convert the popular Hohner Morino

1VM (domino coupler types) from their standard LMMH set-ups to LMMM and some people (with more money to spend) would have two new reed blocks made so that they could switch between sounds while others would just alter the existing reed blocks to house thebigger M reeds.

However the ones I have here I don’t recognise as Hohner and wondered if any out there could shed some light. It would seem that the box of reeds may have become separated from the accordion and that the accordion may have been sold on without the seller being aware of the connection.

AccReedsinBox1Red.jpgAccReedsinBox2Red.jpgAccReedsinBox3Red.jpgAccReedsinBox4Red.jpgAccReedsinBox7Red.jpg

You have a set of hand made reeds that was included with a Petosa AM 1100 when new. The set was hand fitted to the original AM 1100 they came with but with some slight fitting can be used for another AM 1100. A very valuable find.
For Petosa history you might take a read here --

That’s very cool indeed. Petosa reeds are excellent in my experience. Any idea who makes them for them?
I wonder how old they are.

The reeds sets here are from Zero Sette.

Life is full of surprises.

Thanks JimD for the info.

A friend who is an accordion person buys and sells and passed the reeds on to me for spare parts as I sometimes help him prepare his instruments for being sold. I alerted him to the possible value of the reeds this morning but he has declined to take them back. The person who owned the reeds before him has unfortunately died so we can’t follow the trail back to the Pentosa owner with the ‘missing’ set of reeds.

So I now have 82 high quality reeds, ranging from F3 to A7 and I am reluctant to cannibalise the reed blocks. Any opinions on value and their sale would be welcome.

Petosa Accordions, when I contacted them, said that the reeds I have are not connected with their products. They appear to be a-mano quality (see picture).

Attachments

• ReedisinBox.jpg
    ReedisinBox.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back