• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Removing Bass Reed Blocks -Verdi IIIM Hohner accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

si

How I can remove bass blocks from a Verdi III M Hohner 120 bass buttoms accordion? I removed the side clips and the slides but the blocks are not moving up at all....

Make sure they have not been waxed in.....

Hi Si
Note Tom's advice... but depending on year of manufacture, these may be shuffled towards the slides pins on the clip side and so slide out from under a retainer block on the opposite side. It's quite a tight manipulation... A pic would help us remember what you are looking at & we can refer to it without taking our one apart?

Thanks a lot. I was able to remove the blocks, without damaging them, following Soulsaver's advice, after a tricky maneuver. It is a really tight space for "parking" for these blocks and very difficult to visualize the lateral/angular move required to move them up for removal. Now I can try to straighten several curled leather skins.... Thanks again!

:tup: You're welcome - and thanks for coming back & letting us know we helped - not every one does.

Si
I would like to know how you get on with straightening the leathers
Colinm

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't waste time trying to straighten the leathers. Just fit new ones, they are not expensive.

I removed 3 to 5 skins and curved them in the opposite direction. It helps as a temporay solution. But removing the blocks allowed me to discover that several skins inside the reed blocks were loose. I reglued them carefully in a very difficult cavity to maneouver. Patience.
Before putting blocks back inside the accordion, I was forced to slightlyand carefully sand the sides of the wood base of the last of the 3 bass block. It seems that humidity enlarged its bottom size. This was the main reason (besides not being aware about the type of movement needed to move them in and out) why it was difficult to remove them initially as well as repositioning them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back