• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion Jokes?

Not exactly a joke, though I laughed: I was reading the great Hector Berlioz's "Treatise on Instrumentation" from the mid 1850s, later updated by Richard Strauss, and all they say about the accordion is that it "used to be" a musical toy that soon fell into disfavor. A toy!

Not exactly a joke, though I laughed: I was reading the great Hector Berlioz's "Treatise on Instrumentation" from the mid 1850s, later updated by Richard Strauss, and all they say about the accordion is that it "used to be" a musical toy that soon fell into disfavor. A toy!
There is little enough funny about it when you look at the instrument called "accordion" in the 1850s. The only music style where anything akin to it is used with some regularity is Cajun, and even those rather limited instruments tend to come with more reed sets than the historic accordions.

What we typically call "accordion" these days bears less similarity with the instruments that treatise is about than a saxophone does with a baroque clarinet.

What we typically call "accordion" these days bears less similarity with the instruments that treatise is about than a saxophone does with a baroque clarinet.

Are you referring to the Chalumeau that preceded the clarinet?

Are you referring to the Chalumeau that preceded the clarinet?
I have no idea. I was just windbagging some smart-sounding analogy. I actually wanted to say "oboe d'amore" but decided I should at least go with a single rather than double reed blade to better match the saxophone. But that made me venture farther outside of my realm of knowledge than even my first choice would have been.

There is little enough funny about it when you look at the instrument called "accordion" in the 1850s. The only music style where anything akin to it is used with some regularity is Cajun, and even those rather limited instruments tend to come with more reed sets than the historic accordions.

Indeed the Berlioz & Strauss book is outdated and based on impressions of instruments that changed a lot. I found it interesting that they have entries with respectful opinions about the concertina and the melodeon though, whereas only the accordion is called a "toy" and deserved no entry.

I don't remember if this was mentioned - when talking to a machinist today about me making custom parts for an accordion he asked me if I'd heard that you've done a good job if you throw a banjo into a dumpster and it smashes a hole into an accordion. Ha.

Back