• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accompanying Carol Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.
what was the volume like - is it a small cafe
Hi. smdc
The cafe is quite large, possibly 15 tables, I play sitting down using a music stand, I asked the couple on the adjacent table if I was too loud and told them I would not be upset if they wanted to move. They said it was not too loud and they had chosen to sit there as they had come to hear the carols.
I was playing a Weltmiester Serino 80 bass, which I don't play loudly, but I do get carried away at times.
You never really know how it went, but I will let the forum know if I am invited back.
BarryG

Worst case is when you're standing, they're sitting - you can really get right up on their ears. If you're sitting down, it's unlikely to reach the pain threshold for anyone. Physically, that is.

rbs said:
As it happens, Ive been out about 4 times this year accompanying carol singers. One of them was out-of-doors on a cheap Chinese accordion. It only had 48 basses so I had to ensure that I mainly played in flat keys so that I had enough chord buttons. It was OK until my fingers went numb.
As a lad I did a lot of carol singing, which has proved to be beneficial as I know what the harmonies should be. I found that the most difficult one was God rest ye, merry gentlemen as the chords bounce around all over the place. I played it in Dminor.

God rest ye merry gentlemen sounds good with a descending bass line - Am G F Em or equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back