• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A new topic thread?

Ffingers

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In view of a recent discussion, would it be appropriate to create a new discrete heading along the lines of:
"Pathetic performances by non-professionals" which the perfectionists can ignore at will, and others of us can enjoy at our leisure?

I was merely jesting about not posting my abominations.... I'm open enough to face the critics and thankful that they have given me some good pointers in the past....
I does more harm than good to take ourselves too seriously....it's an accordion ffs ...🤣

Is it healthy to get slapped down not just in the original posting but in a brand new topic?
How about simply banning opinions, however courteously expressed?

Is it healthy to get slapped down not just in the original posting but in a brand new topic?
How about simply banning opinions, however courteously expressed?
Please read it again.
I was not "slapping down" anyone other than the original critic and, toungue-in-cheek, suggesting that we mere mortals might have somewhere to display our less-than-perfect abilities.

I don't like squabbles but to paraphrase:
"I was not "slapping down" anyone other than the person I slapped down."
Not wanting to read other people's opinions is your privilege.
The original version of this forum folded because of a refusal to accept the opinions of others.
Knobby saved the forum from closure and since then, tolerating other opinions has been very important.
Long may it be so.

A good quote in these situations is "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" by Evelyn Beatrice Hall writing under the pseudonym of S.G. Tallentyre in her book about Voltaire.

Sometimes it can be difficult to express ourselves in words and even when we try to be careful or even make a joke, our words can convey a stronger meaning than we intended. But sadly words can be hurtful, even where no harm was meant. I have lost count of the number of times I have written a post only to go back and delete the post or edit it, because I recognise that I failed to express myself, due to a clumsy choice of words.

You know, there are some unbelievably gifted writers and thinkers, technical wizards, comedians and tremendous musicians. I try to learn from the essence of all your ideas. I also think that expressing opinion is a fine and healthy thing, but we should also try to consider how our words can affect others. It is a constant battle for me to express myself and keep the edges soft and sometimes I do not succeed. I think the delete button is sometimes the best option.​

Last edited:
"What I wrote wasn't quite what I meant to say and what you read wasn't exactly what I wrote." ...to paraphrase another adage.

I agree that we have to be careful with the words that we write, but we also have to be very aware of our own propensities for seeing/hearing/reading what we are presented with through the lens of our own experiences, cultures, and individual attitudes.

I was being mildly facetious when I wrote, and it seems that only Dingo40 got that drift in a suggestion to create a discrete thread where those of us of lesser talent might seek constructive criticism as to how we might improve. It might not be appropriate to do so, or it might be, but that remains Knobby's prerogative.

"Well, it's like this, yer 'onour, this 'ere bloke reckoned that I was being thin skinned, aggressive and that I can't stand criticism - so I smashed 'is face in."

How about we just "slap down" the pathetic performances by the "professionals" instead? "I might not know what is good, but I know what I like!" to quote someone somewhere.

We could do that @Tom, or... we could just all be buddies.:cool: Tom you could tell us stories about the American Great Lakes and I'd chime-in all the time about off-topic Scottish things 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. That reminds me, did I ever tell you the story of Greyfriars Bobby? It's a heart warming tale from the old toon of Edinburgh...🐶 Are you sitting carefully? Then I'll begin...

By the way, the accordionist whose performance was criticised is a true pro in my opinion(y)

Last edited:
Sorry, Stewart, my comments were tongue in cheek like Terry's. I'm actually an equal opportunity admirer of both the good, bad and the ugly. No, I have not heard that tale, pray tell!

Interestingly enough, Gordon Lightfoot is performing here in September. Due to covid, however, I won't be attending.

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy...."

Tom, sure I knew you were having fun. By the way, thanks for pretending you've never heard of Greyfriars Bobby. You're hilarious. ;)

Sorry to hear you are missing Gordon Lightfoot. 'When the skies of November turn gloomy' sounds a lot like the Scottish weather.

Last edited:
Joe and Marie, and their helpers and members, have a simple formula at the Maryland Accordion Club

everyone applauds for every performance

period

the pro's in the group always try and notice when our
casual players or students do something, a chord or phrase,
that is better than normal and enthuse over it

and personally, i always take the last slot and often hit few licks or chord changes
for some of the songs played so they can take ideas home and keep practicing..
that is my way of showing i paid attention to what they played

usually i add a couple tunes maybe inspired or suggested by the flow..
like today i think i will play "if you could read my mind"

Reactions: Tom
Tom, sure I knew you were having fun. By the way, thanks for pretending you've never heard of Greyfriars Bobby. You're hilarious. ;)

Sorry to hear you are missing Gordon Lightfoot. 'When the skies of November turn gloomy' sounds a lot like the Scottish weather.
Hmmmm, maybe you told that story already? Seems like you did. It's coming back.... If I have forgotten, it's my mind, not your storytelling ability. Now you see why I trouble over remembering 2 hours of music?🪗🤣

Btw, in case you didn't recognize it, the song I quoted is the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, the freighter which sank in Lake Superior in 1975, losing all crew of 20 (?).

Back