• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A mixing question from a "non-techi"

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
Here's hoping that I have stated my question correctly!!

My ( non-electronic ) accordion has built in mikes for bass and treble which I can feed to my Roland Cube amplifier. I have a mp3 player which I could also use to send a mp3 backing track to another channel of this amplifier. As I understand it the amplifier essentially becomes a mixer. However, how can I adjust the individual volume knobs on the "mixer" whilst occupied playing? And even if I could how do I know how the combination is sounding?

If you had a volume pedal you could get one of the signals go through that. You can then make the accordion louder or softer compared to the backing track, but you still cannot really know how the combination is sounding. It takes someone from the audience to listen and tell you.
Even easier is to have an assistant control the volume knobs (and then you don't need a pedal).
I play the bass in several ensembles. Whenever we get to a new venue I get someone from the audience (a family member of a band member) to give me some feedback on the volume of the (amplified) bass versus the rest of the ensemble.

If you had a volume pedal you could get one of the signals go through that. You can then make the accordion louder or softer compared to the backing track, but you still cannot really know how the combination is sounding. It takes someone from the audience to listen and tell you.
Even easier is to have an assistant control the volume knobs (and then you don't need a pedal).
I play the bass in several ensembles. Whenever we get to a new venue I get someone from the audience (a family member of a band member) to give me some feedback on the volume of the (amplified) bass versus the rest of the ensemble.
Thanks Paul. I have volume knobs on the accordion grill for both bass and treble so I can equalise these with each other but the volume knob for the mp3 is on the Roland cube. As you so rightly say it needs A. N. Other to listen to the combination and match the mp3 volume to the accordion. And once it is set for one venue I guess it would need re-setting at another venue?
Also I wondered if using headphones can help but would that cut off all sound coming from the Roland speaker?

Also I wondered if using headphones can help but would that cut off all sound coming from the Roland speaker?
That is easy to check. Just plug in headphones and check whether there is still sound from the speaker.
I generally find it uncomfortable to play an acoustic accordion using headphones. I want to hear what my accordion is doing directly.
As for the mix, in theory the setting can be the same for all venues, but it's easy to bump one of the knobs in transport...

first of all. it is good on you that you have a feeling to care enough about your
sound output in performance that you wish to do it well

the sound adjustment for on stage and near you will be dictated by your ears
and is partially false, as the people far from the stage may ONLY hear audio
that emanates from your speaker system

so essentially, whatever your ears will typically make you think is a good mix,
then boost the accordion/vocals just a bit more than what sounds "right" to you

you should also realize the limitations and other realities too.. if you "care"
enough then your life will be a constant "improving" of your Audio systems,
just as we search for better instruments forever to play on

in other words, the people far away also will hear incomplete sound as
higher frequencies are lost to the sides, or there is not enough raw power
to send the bass frequencies very far at all.. or the sound is so directional
it simply does not "cover" the intended area well

that is because your "point source" at this time is one square little
bullfrog of an amplifier.. (the cube is the least desirable speaker
cabinet style as dimensionally it is the most inefficient and re-inforces
the same frequencies double over the rest, so the resulting uneven
overall sound gets worse as you crank it up)

even the smallest decent PA system with 2 rectangular speakers sitting
on chairs or poles will do a remarkably better job for you, and the sky
is of course the limit for better quality sound beyond that

what some of us have done Professionally for decades with sound checks,
whether in 500 seat auditoriums for a big Wedding or an outdoor venue
or a church basement.. you set up the PA system, run a few Backing tracks
on autopilot, then stroll around the entire venue wirelessly playing your
accordion or singing along before the event to get a sense of
relative volume adjustment, speaker placement and angle, etc.

of course you then also need quality wireless equipment that covers distance well
without dropout

it is also important to note, those of us who use backing tracks live a lot
have first made certain the tracks are all basically EQUALized for volume

it really would be a mess to have to constantly re-adjust the volume
on the backgrounds during a gig.. once your basic "mix" is set, the only
thing one should ever need to adjust is the Master volume control

if your CUBE can drive a second speaker, i would recommend you pick up
one decent used 8 ohm PA speaker somewhere to help things out for now

good luck in your Journey

In super simple terms...
- the Roland cube amp is a MONO amp
- Every "item" (left hand sound, right hand sound, MP3 player) needs a separate output if you want individual control
- you need a separate input with a volume control to "mix" to different levels on the amplifier

If your amp doesn't have enough separate inputs (in this case 3), you may be able to combine the left and right hands of the accordion together in to one mono output with a "stereo to mono" adapter and control the individual volumes from the volume controls on the accordion.

Most MP3 players are stereo units and that may take special consideration to get certain results like:
- in consideration for the use, the MP3 file may be recorded or mixed in MONO
- if the file and player are stereo, you may need a 2-into-1 (stereo to mono) adapter that fits in to the MP3 player and amplifier
- volume of the MP3 player can be controlled by the volume level on the level on the player or the amp volume knob

Doesn't get any easier than this. :)

Last edited:
Yes it's difficult to use a mono amplifier for your backing tracks and accordion. You can try to work around the problem or you can just invest in a basic mixer because the smaller ones are truly inexpensive and solve your immediate needs. I purchased a small mixer and use it with my compact PA system which was the smallest unit that came with stereo separation. Someone gave me a tiny guitar amplifier that I use as a monitor and the system is complete.

Because you don't show your location it's difficult to advise about purchasing used mixers and PA systems because where I live in Canada there is usually a fairly large selection of available used gear that can be had for a very small price. In any case, you own an expensive instrument and you want to sound as good as possible so don't skimp on the one device that ties everything together. Don't spend a ton of money, just invest wisely to get the best sound that you can because you've already invested so much money and effort.

Back