• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. It does have a French vibe to it.

I’m still working on a video of Diabolico. In the meantime, I tried out an arrangement of a tune I played a lot on PA. I wanted to hear it with guitar accompaniment to see if it would work on a gig. I played guitar and accordion. The pics are just a few pics I had available on my computer on a trip to Naples.

@NickC This song is so pretty. You inspired me to hunt for the sheet music so I could learn it. Plus, my sister is quite a good guitar player, and I'm going to share your video with her in the hopes that someday we can play a duet (we're on opposite coasts right now).

@NickC This song is so pretty. You inspired me to hunt for the sheet music so I could learn it. Plus, my sister is quite a good guitar player, and I'm going to share your video with her in the hopes that someday we can play a duet (we're on opposite coasts right now).

Thanks. It's one of my favorites. If you can't find the music, let me know and I will forward. Have you tried collaborating online? If you are too far away, there might be latency issues, but it could be an option.

Thanks @NickC I found a fairly simple version in Cm/C, and a more complex one in Dm/D. That one has a lot of fancy chords that my sis could probably handle, but they're a bit beyond me at the moment. I'm transposing the chords from the simpler version up a step, since that key doesn't exceed the bass buttons on my little Hohner 48-bass, which is what I would travel with. My sis eschews all things technological, so a duet will have to wait.

WOW! Week 20. I was looking through my list and see it's time for a couple of "Old Style" Polish Polkas. Put on Your Dancing Shoes and O.C.A. Polkas. I never got the sheet music for these songs, but was able to listen to recordings and play them. Just did one take, probably not 100% perfection, but I put it on YouTube anyway.

Last edited:
Wow, we made it to week 21! What a relief you may say! Thanks and congrats to everyone who participated, especially Nick, George, Jeremy and Terry, but really to everyone, recording, keeping up or silent.

I know this was a great challenge for me, really beefed up my repertoire. Now to complete the consolidation, replacing those tunes that didn't quote make it, getting them all "playable."

And of course now the inevitable sorting of the Christmas tunes. Sorry.

Even though I didn't make it to 21 tunes, this was a great experience. I think posting audio/video is a great way to get a tune from being 'learned' to being performed well enough to share it online. My videos were rough, but I have a number of new tunes that, once cleaned up, I can add them to my rep.

Reactions: Tom
Glad I came to Tom's party.... I made some new tunes into friends and realised how much i need to nurture and value my old ones.... ?

Thanks for hosting Tom, although I blew up at the end it's given me a good push forwards.

Tom
Thanks for setting up 21 week event. I am a little confused as to when the event began. If Week 1 was week ending Saturday May 8 then this week ending Sep 25 would be Week 21. Anyway, I kept a list of 20 songs that I recorded so maybe I started a week late?

Tom
Thanks for setting up 21 week event. I am a little confused as to when the event began. If Week 1 was week ending Saturday May 8 then this week ending Sep 25 would be Week 21. Anyway, I kept a list of 20 songs that I recorded so maybe I started a week late?
Yes, I believe you are correct, George, that week 21 is this week ending Sept. 25. I'd have to go back and check which weeks your songs were recorded. Regardless, I appreciate your effort and your playing was a great inspiration, especially for me the Frankie Yankovics.

I think this is Week 21 so this is the 21st song I have sent in. I think I started in week 2 and sent in a make-up song for week 1. So, anyway, closing out with a smooth Yankovic Waltz...Honeymoon Waltz. Second half is in A flat which gives me a little trouble, but with a little practice I think I got it right. Once again, I watched and listened to everybody's recordings and all get a thumbs up.

Special kudos to @GeorgeH76 for completing all 21 tunes--really enjoyed the polkas in particular. Actually, I've listened to most of the contributions to this thread and enjoyed them all. It's really fun to see the different styles and songs people gravitate to, and I found some good ones to put on my must-learn-this list. Thanks to everyone who posted!

So, still organizing from this challenge. Deleted songs that were too easy, too hard, too short, too corny. Ended up with a good repertoire of about 22 songs - good for an hour or so. Along with solidifying repertoire by slowly adding tunes and playing more from memory and with feeling, dynamics, variations, etc. it's time to think about the next challenge - improving sight reading by attacking those pesky Christmas songs.....stay tuned!

My goal is to build on this challenge. I learned enough tunes to finish out a set worth of music. Now, I want to put together multi-track recordings to 1. send to other musicians as an arrangement concept and 2. to have a version with just guitar and bass that I can play over to solidify my parts. I made a quick version of Battagliero and I'm having a hard time getting the feel down. So, I've been listening to as many versions as I can to try to nail the feel. Once I get that, then I am going to move on to embellishments. (Which there are usually A LOT on the repeats.) I will try to make it more in line with the style, but I will have to simplify a lot.

My goal is to build on this challenge. I learned enough tunes to finish out a set worth of music. Now, I want to put together multi-track recordings to 1. send to other musicians as an arrangement concept and 2. to have a version with just guitar and bass that I can play over to solidify my parts. I made a quick version of Battagliero and I'm having a hard time getting the feel down. So, I've been listening to as many versions as I can to try to nail the feel. Once I get that, then I am going to move on to embellishments. (Which there are usually A LOT on the repeats.) I will try to make it more in line with the style, but I will have to simplify a lot.
Great ideas, Nick! Look forward to seeing (hearing) the recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back