• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made it to Week 17, might as well keep going.
I have a book of 101 songs by Slavko Avsenik...hard to pick just one song to play.
I never recorded a ländler before and didn't even know what it was except it was like a waltz.
Definition: An Austrian folk dance in triple time, a precursor of the waltz.
So I recorded Frühkonzert im Bauernhof which translates to early concert in the farm...correct me if I'm wrong.

A little nostalgia here.

After being introduced to this waltz by Boxplayer on this forum and buying a Hohner Morino 1 piano accordion from him I have now learned to play this lovely waltz. It’s easier on piano and presents difficulties on PA but I do think on the PA it’s much more evocative of the early 20th century era. I can imagine it being played on the mighty Wurlitzer at Blackpool Tower ballroom to accompany dancing couples. I think that the musette setting with L included ( LMMM ) is as near as it gets to a theatre organ.

I have a book of 101 songs by Slavko Avsenik...hard to pick just one song to play.
I never recorded a ländler before and didn't even know what it was except it was like a waltz.
So I recorded Frühkonzert im Bauernhof which translates to early concert in the farm...correct me if I'm wrong.
I like the tune. I found this book at Stretta music. Is it the book that has the waltz you played?

Slavko Avsenik Die besten 101 von Slavko Avsenik

Thanks,
John M.

funny lyrics about all the farm animals!

good times

I just finished up learning a new tune called Diabolico by Gig Stok. I didn't make a video yet, because it's not really performance ready. But I can at least play through it well enough to move on to the next one while I polish it up. I plan on working on another Passarini tune called Sanluchino next.

Week 18 is here...hard to believe I have recorded and put out 18 songs...I know about 4 in memory, the rest I would need the sheet music.
Dick Contino had a recording of "Always in my Heart" (no bellows shaking). I like the melody and had the music in a fake book so I put it out there with a minor gaffe. I wonder if anybody notices these minor gaffes or thinks it some kind of grace note or improvisation.:)

Great as usual, George! I looked hard and think I spotted it, but wouldn't have noticed.....

Winding down, still working at it, but not recording. Planning to play again Tuesday, second covid appearance. Running through the new repertoire, separating tunes into sets of 2, this challenge has been good to me. For week 18 I'm adding Oh Shenandoah to go with the (requested) Down in the Valley. Thinking of wrapping up the final weeks with the 3 Italian classics I've often played but never "perfected," That's Amore (yeah I know, but it was written and made famous by Italians with American stage names Warren and Martin, so ha!) Tarantella and Finiculi Finicula. Ciao.

Last edited:
Getting close to Week 21! Here's Week 19. Looked at Under Paris Skies and Iron Range Polka. Decided to go with the Iron Range a Yankovic favorite. For some reason the fingering gave me trouble so had to play it 20 or 30 times to get it right. The Iron Range is an area in Minnesota and Canada with lots of Iron and iron mines in the ground. Probably a lot of Polka fans in that area.

21 tunes in 21 weeks is a pretty mean feat....
Till i spoke to Nigel, he and Lo have had to learn 500 new tunes in the last 18 months to keep there boat afloat...
Tune in tonight if you can....

I’m still working on a video of Diabolico. In the meantime, I tried out an arrangement of a tune I played a lot on PA. I wanted to hear it with guitar accompaniment to see if it would work on a gig. I played guitar and accordion. The pics are just a few pics I had available on my computer on a trip to Naples.

21 tunes in 21 weeks is a pretty mean feat....
Till i spoke to Nigel, he and Lo have had to learn 500 new tunes in the last 18 months to keep there boat afloat...
Tune in tonight if you can....
Wow thanks losthobos it’s been the best thing to come out of the pandemic for me. I love learning new songs. Not sure how well I’ve learned them though…Had to cover a bunch of ABBA songs for a Down Syndrome kids group the other day. Really fun to play on the accordion!

Last edited:
I’m still working on a video of Diabolico. In the meantime, I tried out an arrangement of a tune I played a lot on PA. I wanted to hear it with guitar accompaniment to see if it would work on a gig. I played guitar and accordion. The pics are just a few pics I had available on my computer on a trip to Naples.

Wonderful

I finally got around to making a video of Diabolico. It's rough, but in the spirit of this thread, I'll share my progress. I think I am going to focus on cleaning this one up for another week before moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back