• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to lose track...I think we're coming up on week 6. I mostly play polkas, waltzes, jazz, standands. So something different for me is a tango. Found the student sheet music for La Cumparsita which I had when I first started taking lessons in my teens. As I was looking it over I paid attention to the notes, chords, etc. But, I also noticed that I never paid much attention to "expressions" like f p sf staccato and many others. So another arrangement I worked off didn't have any expressions to worry about so I was on my own.

Starting to lose track...I think we're coming up on week 6. I mostly play polkas, waltzes, jazz, standands. So something different for me is a tango. Found the student sheet music for La Cumparsita which I had when I first started taking lessons in my teens. As I was looking it over I paid attention to the notes, chords, etc. But, I also noticed that I never paid much attention to "expressions" like f p sf staccato and many others. So another arrangement I worked off didn't have any expressions to worry about so I was on my own.
Inspiring as usual George! Yup, I think we're in week 6. Working on Blue Skirt Waltz myself, not sure if I will make it. All of a sudden the busy summer got here...

Ok, here's your Blue Skirt Waltz. Reading, haven't quite memorized it but want to get it into week 6. Busy summer and tunes backing up! Going to have to hustle to keep up....

For week #6, I've been enjoying the Hammond organ sounds on the V-accordion.
The song is "Out of my head" by Fastball.

For week #6, I've been enjoying the Hammond organ sounds on the V-accordion.
The song is "Out of my head" by Fastball.
Good one Dan. I like your singing (and that very dramatic Hammond fill! My one suggestion (hopefully taken as positive) would be to check out your head angle in the video. Carry on!

Good one Dan. I like your singing (and that very dramatic Hammond fill! My one suggestion (hopefully taken as positive) would be to check out your head angle in the video. Carry on!
Thanks for the tip! I bet I picked up that bad habit trying to hear myself in loud bands. I'll work on fixing that.

For week 6 I've gone back to a very popular waltz and tried to improve my playing. Well, I tried anyway. It's a good one for a busk.

Good one Phil, congrats. Seems like I've heard this one before, might be a good one for me to add.

Last edited:
....and here's one quick chorus of Cripple Creek, that goes well with Old Joe Clark for a medley. These fiddle tunes are deceptively simple, but have a lot of potential for jamming and variations. I'll call this my week 4 video to get all caught up.

Sounding almost Morris there Tom. We play a few of these, so I'll have to remember to stick a couple into the 21 tunes.

Sounding almost Morris there Tom. We play a few of these, so I'll have to remember to stick a couple into the 21 tunes.
Thanks and interesting, Jeremy. I'm not real familiar with Morris, but I imagine their music and the "American" fiddle tunes carry some common ancestry.

They probably do, quite a few tunes went over the pond, and then came back again.

I was away again at the weekend, on a non-accordion music workshop, great to just see some different faces. That meant I didn't get to finish the track I wanted to post this week, but for form's sake you can have 'Paris Moscow Waltz' from Peter Haas's 'Play Accordion'.

They probably do, quite a few tunes went over the pond, and then came back again.

I was away again at the weekend, on a non-accordion music workshop, great to just see some different faces. That meant I didn't get to finish the track I wanted to post this week, but for form's sake you can have 'Paris Moscow Waltz' from Peter Haas's 'Play Accordion'.

You can feel yourself redeemed, Jeremy! That's a nice waltz.

I still have to refine it, but I'm going to post this here for this week. It's not gig ready, but it was and continues to be a fun challenge. I still need to make it more stylized so it sounds more authentic.

Next week I am probably going to do Deliziosa by Castellina Pasi.

Great playing Nick (y) .
I've just noticed, on the vid, it looks like your black buttons are smaller then the white ones?.
Is this an optical illusion or is it true? If so, are there any advantages?

That's interesting. It does look like they are smaller, but the buttons are all the same size.

The photo on the Bugari site has a similar illusion.

320j.jpg

I made it to week 7. Are we really going to 21 weeks? Anyway, I haven't done much (if anything) with Country and Western, but I like this tune. Nice lyrics too...which you have to look up as you don't want to hear me sing.

I made it to week 7. Are we really going to 21 weeks? Anyway, I haven't done much (if anything) with Country and Western, but I like this tune. Nice lyrics too...which you have to look up as you don't want to hear me sing.
Very nice, George, love your sense of rhythm. Are we going for 21 weeks? I don't know, I'm going to hang in there as long as I can, although I think I'm going to not try to memorize all the songs, too much for my tired brain. Trying to keep all the songs active is rough. I'm probably going to stick with fairly easy songs, so I can at least build the repertoire, and hope to polish and memorize a little bit each as time goes by, ignoring the fact that the recordings I do reflect a pretty early, unpolished version. Then try to re-record after the 21 or ??? weeks. We'll see..... How are others doing?

How are others doing?
(y) They won't all be as long or as polished as I might like, but I think I can stick to 21 tunes in 21 weeks. Toward the end, I'll record a short set (not all 21) to make sure I keep the early tunes in rotation, and to practice setting up and switching between sounds (User Programs) on the V-Accordion.

Repertoire building is my top priority right now, and having a group of practice buddies is great motivation. There's been a lot of fun tunes shared on this thread, and even when the performance is a little rough, the enthusiasm is always infectious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back