• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit late, but I recorded the rest of my week 3 tune. I was out of town this past weekend and will be going away again, so I may not have another one down this week...but I'm still participating.

I'm a bit late, but I recorded the rest of my week 3 tune. I was out of town this past weekend and will be going away again, so I may not have another one down this week...but I'm still participating.

(y) good to see someone else using the thumb on all rows, ( fortunately far better than me!)

@Pipemajor I use the thumb a lot. It's such a versatile digit. When I have my thumb on a note, the other fingers can rotate behind it, in front of it, horizontal, vertical.... I don't know what is 'proper' technique, but I love the thumb. I'm trying to work in other fingerings though, to see what works best.
Watching these videos is great, because now I can see that my pinky is off doing it's own thing like it's not even part of my hand. I've been trying to come up with fingerings that use it more, because it's definitely my weakest finger. I think I'm leaving it off as a crutch to give my ring finger more independence. For example, when all 5 fingers are resting on a table, in playing position, the middle finger has less range of motion. But if only 4 fingers are on a table (with the pinky raised), the middle finger can be lifted higher.

@Pipemajor I use the thumb a lot. It's such a versatile digit. When I have my thumb on a note, the other fingers can rotate behind it, in front of it, horizontal, vertical.... I don't know what is 'proper' technique, but I love the thumb. I'm trying to work in other fingerings though, to see what works best.
Watching these videos is great, because now I can see that my pinky is off doing it's own thing like it's not even part of my hand. I've been trying to come up with fingerings that use it more, because it's definitely my weakest finger. I think I'm leaving it off as a crutch to give my ring finger more independence. For example, when all 5 fingers are resting on a table, in playing position, the middle finger has less range of motion. But if only 4 fingers are on a table (with the pinky raised), the middle finger can be lifted higher.
Edit: Excuse the unsolicited advice. Pipemajor's comments made me curious and your watching your video more closely was surprised by the use of the thumb on the inner rows. Trying a few bars myself, I find it more comfortable to play the C at the end of the phrase with thumb on the outer row, or cross with thumb earlier and use index finger on row four. Keeps hand in a relaxed position. But whatever works for you, it sounds fine! The one thing I do know about proper technique (from watching Deschamps videos) is that by keeping your wrist straight you can play faster and more relaxed. But for that, fingering is probably less important than where you position your elbow.

Last edited:
I guess this is for week 4. I had a couple of Polkas in mind...one well known and one not so well known which I'll save for next week. But, anyway I can't say the Clarinet Polka is new to me, but I don't think I ever played it without a few clunkers. So I put it on YouTube with a few minor miscues.

I guess this is for week 4. I had a couple of Polkas in mind...one well known and one not so well known which I'll save for next week. But, anyway I can't say the Clarinet Polka is new to me, but I don't think I ever played it without a few clunkers. So I put it on YouTube with a few minor miscues.

Very nice George, thanks. It's a good tune, but I won't attempt it in one week. Beer Barrel is tough enough. I think I will have the fingerings I like and memorizing done enough this week to get it in "rotation," but probably not enough to record. Basically, I put the titles of all my tunes into a flashcard app that presents them one at a time in random order. Then I try to play through them all once or twice each day. Shows how much there is to learn, and to keep the memory up.

That week just flew by. I have nothing to post this week, but I’m working on my next tune.

Likewise I am not going to be able to record this week. I plan to complete Beer Barrel in week 5 as well as an additional (easier) song, not sure which one yet. I obviously chose a song which was too hard to complete in one week, gotta watch that.

Update: This tune, with chording and alternating basses that match up is too hard for me now, will take several weeks (although it appears I have recorded it with single note melody line). Anyway, to get back on track, I'm calling Happy Birthday my week 4 tune, as it's my friend's birthday today and I really should play it for him. I play this occasionally but have never taken the time to memorize it. Then back on track with a new tune for week 5

Last edited:

Sorry lads...only managed a bumpy theme this week.....
Good effort! When you get it more polished please share that too. Seems like a good fit for accordion and Curious how it would sound on bassoon reed

Good effort! When you get it more polished please share that too. Seems like a good fit for accordion and Curious how it would sound on bassoon reed
Will do Dan.... I'd initially thought bassoon reed but as bassoon is in cassotto on my other box it was a bit too powerful while my playing is so clumsy..... Also to 3x3 box (the bassoon) one offers a better bassline by adding a C bass ontop the 2nd Amin chord.... Once tidy I'll repost...with a nice chordal harmony middle 8 too... Was too much to try and achieve in a week... Not happy with this version, just wanted to show willing and keep momentum... ?

Reactions: dan
Looking good, Phil, keep 'em coming!

I am in Wisconsin this weekend so here’s a polka (beer barrel) and a lake (Belle-view). If it was later in the day there’d be a beer and if I’d practiced another week there’d be a smile. :)

I now understand the appeal of the tuba sound on the Roland. doesnt come across in videos but has a satisfying thump in person!

Last edited:
Here's my entry for week 4, the Maigret theme tune from the UK TV series in the 60s

I’m not familiar with the show but enjoyed the theme! Chromatic triplets are fun.
Next week I will return the favor with some 90s alternative rock that I imagine no one outside my country and demographic will recognize. ?

I am in Wisconsin this weekend so here’s a polka (beer barrel) and a lake (Belle-view). If it was later in the day there’d be a beer and if I’d practiced another week there’d be a smile. :)

I now understand the appeal of the tuba sound on the Roland. doesnt come across in videos but has a satisfying thump in person!
Cool, Dan! Beautiful area there, I'm up nort der hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back