• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You succeeded in your mission, you are allowed to play jazz for 17 days. Good work! This is definetly on my list of "must learn" but I doubt I could in one week.

Good man Dan.... ?
I seem to remember Mudchutney hung around these waters under the username @craptiger.... Made good t shirts...

Week 2: Du Du Liegst Mir Im Herzen. Pretty tough arpeggios to learn in one week, but I made it through, points for completion, not perfection!

@Tom ... Yep you get points... You'd best have my points too as I'll confess SLCDParis was only relearnt and not learnt in a week.... Was just needing a polish as hadn't played for a couple of years and had been left festering in the back of my grubby mind.... Next 3 will be from fresh... So expect messy...
Keep em coming.... ?

Reactions: Tom
Here is my week 2 entry. It's another Carlo Venturi tune called Via Libera. After the 21 weeks, the next challenge for me is going to be 'the don't look at your hands challenge.' I'm getting better, but when I record a new tune, it's hard enough to get through it without major mistakes even when I do look at my hands. It would take 10x as many takes if I were treating it like a performance.

@Tom ... Yep you get points... You'd best have my points too as I'll confess SLCDParis was only relearnt and not learnt in a week.... Was just needing a polish as hadn't played for a couple of years and had been left festering in the back of my grubby mind.... Next 3 will be from fresh... So expect messy...
Keep em coming.... ?
Thanks Terry! Many of mine will be same. I have a lot of those "half learned" I would like to add to the "ready to go" pile.

Here is my week 2 entry. It's another Carlo Venturi tune called Via Libera. After the 21 weeks, the next challenge for me is going to be 'the don't look at your hands challenge.' I'm getting better, but when I record a new tune, it's hard enough to get through it without major mistakes even when I do look at my hands. It would take 10x as many takes if I were treating it like a performance.

Great Nick! Do you think the recording is getting easier over time, even a little bit? I would say the switch to CBA has been successful!

It would take 10x as many takes if I were treating it like a performance.
You only get one take in a performance! I am coming to realize that if I can’t get a decent (not perfect) take in 2 or 3 tries, I don’t know the tune as it well as I think I do, and it needs more slow practice. Very few tunes are currently at that level. ?

your rendition sounded good to me!

Not sure what the rules and regulations are for the 21 in 21, so I guess I missed week 1 so here is week 2, a Frank Yankovic favorite. This would be my second youtube of this song. I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes...completed on April 22. So I don't need glasses for computer work or driving, but will need reading glasses. Colors and details look great, but it takes a while for the brain to adjust to the new lenses. I don't think it affected my accordion playing one way or the other.

Great Nick! Do you think the recording is getting easier over time, even a little bit? I would say the switch to CBA has been successful!

I find the recording process to be very valuable. Listening back is very revealing. For example, this time I listened to the first take and noticed that I was a bit heavy handed with the left hand. I'm still trying to adjust, but sometimes I don't even realize the timing or phrasing issues, etc. I think, by the end of the challenge, I will be a lot more comfortable recording, I will double my repertoire and I will become a better player.

The switch to CBA is going well. Thanks for the encouragement. I find that learning tunes, improvising and coming up with arrangements was more familiar to me on the PA, since I know the notes pretty well. However, once I have the notes down, I feel like the CBA fits me better. I still have A LOT to learn, but I am just enjoying the process.

your rendition sounded good to me!

Thanks, I enjoyed your tune as well. I'm looking forward to hearing all the videos next week. I plan to continue playing through these tunes slowly during and after the challenge....and I'm sure I'll be fine tuning them for years to come.

Well here's my week 2 a sleepy sounding South Wind
Sounds good, Jeremy! I used to play that tune years ago and have been thinking about it lately, strangely enough. It'll probably be one of my 21....

It's a good tune Out on the Ocean is another that I play with friends -not on the accordion yet though.

Reactions: Tom
Playing catch up as I didn't send in anything for week 1 so here it is. An old Gershwin tune which I heard on a TV show and dug out the music from an old fake book I had. Tried to go easy on improvisations as the song has a nice melody and chords. Also nice to have instrument with 5 sets of reeds to get a lot of different sounds. Only a few accordion versions on youtube so I put it out there.

Very nice George, thanks!

Not sure what the rules and regulations are for the 21 in 21, so I guess I missed week 1 so here is week 2, a Frank Yankovic favorite. This would be my second youtube of this song. I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes...completed on April 22. So I don't need glasses for computer work or driving, but will need reading glasses. Colors and details look great, but it takes a while for the brain to adjust to the new lenses. I don't think it affected my accordion playing one way or the other.
Great George! Love the fills. Another one I could see adding..... Great news on the cataracts. Basically, the "rules" are to add one tune to your repertoire each week (ie. a tune you feel comfortable playing for someone, with or without music).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back