• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

209 / 302 / Rubin 7 - For Classical Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

melasonos

Reaction score
I am mainly going to be playing classical. I see everyone that does pretty much has Piginis. (free bass)

That being said, I can't afford that kind of instrument.

Do you think a Tula-209, Tula-302, or Rubin 7 would work for classical?

Is there something about them that would make it not so great for classical, or is it cheaper just because the Russian Bayans have less voices?

IF they are ok...my big question is, which one of those 3 is best? I've never played any of them.
(I live very far from civilization)

THANK YOU SO MUCH

-K

You can play classical on most any instrument. (And while free bass does expand your ability to play piano/organ music with minimal arranging.)

The big choice you will have to make is whether your right hand will play a piano keyboard, C-system buttons, or B-system buttons. The large majority of the Russian instruments, including the one in your clip above, are B-system; a lot of western European instruments will be C-system.

If you opt for the B-system, I will no longer be the only B-system player west of the Mississippi. (OK, I exaggerate - I am already not the ONLY one, but you won't bump into very many accidentally.)

Your budget will tell you how new of an instrument, with how many voices, you can afford. I daresay the large majority of us are playing on an instrument that is either older or more basic than our dream instrument. The time the classical vs popular issue will resurface here is that you may prefer LMH to LMM if you buy a 3-voice instrument, or prefer a drier tuned MM combination.

As you've probably noticed, the western makers tend to add voices to both the treble and bass sides first, and then only offer a free-bass converter on the top of line instruments. The instrument in your clip is the opposite - no registers on either side, and no 4th or 5th row of buttons, but a converter. If your goal is to cheaply train your left hand to play free bass, that may make sense.

If you like the Russian sound that box in the video is very nice! Can't beat that price for a converter. Playing B-system is very intuitive although with only 3 rows the transposing is not always straightforward, but we get used to it.

I am mainly going to be playing classical. I see everyone that does pretty much has Piginis. (free bass)

That being said, I can't afford that kind of instrument.

Do you think a Tula-209, Tula-302, or Rubin 7 would work for classical?

Is there something about them that would make it not so great for classical, or is it cheaper just because the Russian Bayans have less voices?

IF they are ok...my big question is, which one of those 3 is best? I've never played any of them.
(I live very far from civilization)

THANK YOU SO MUCH

-K
Pigini is just one of many accordions (brands) being used for classical music: think of Bugari, Scandalli, Borsini, Jupiter, AKKO, etc., etc. New all of these are quite expensive. Used they can become affordable depending on age and condition.
So while there are many choices, the hard part is finding one you like that is in good playable condition. It's not a matter of brand as much as it is of what you like.

If you want to play classical properly you need a free bass instrument.
I've had several used Pigini's and Bugari's I've traded up on. For my money the underdog, a Bugari is the one. Their marketing isn't a patch on their major rival but as for the actual musicality of the instruments :)))

Thank you both.

@debra, I've been researching this for weeks now and haven't even heard of the brands AKKO or Borsini. If you Youtube search classical accordion, or Bayan, almost evey one is Pigini, with a Scandalli or Bugari here and there. Being that the Russian Bayans are much much cheaper than any of the brands you listed, even used, I was wondering if you would think they would be ok for classical? Or is there something I'm maybe missing? Out of the brands you listed, can any be found for $2000? That's pretty much the top of my budget. I don't care about brand name really, just that it's not terrible build quality that I will regret or something :)

@saundersbp. I appreciate that advice. Still out of my range unfortunately, which is why I was asking about the converter free bass bayans.

Thanks!

EDIT: I didn't even see all the other posts due to my browser haha!

@Siegmund and @oldbayan - Thanks, I would prefer to get B-System, becasue it will also encourage me to learn Russian :)

@dunlustin That's another one I am looking at. The Rubin 7 looks nice, what's interesting is they also have a "Rubin 3" which looks like the exact same thing, but with 5 reed plates in the treble instead of the Rubin 7's 3 reed plates, and it has 2 switches...I wonder why they are the same price? Weird.

I can tell this forum is awesome.

Last edited:
Part of the challenge is not being able to find videos of these budget converters being played with the free bass. I think most people that get around to having free bass videos available today are also those who have nicer instruments. Here is a recent student performance using a Tula 302: . I've yet to find videos of anyone extensively using free bass on a Rubin.

With whatever you end up getting, by the time you hit the limitations of the instrument, your budget will likely have replenished and grown.

[classic internet uninformed speculation] My guess is that at a given price level, your choices are going to be about equally "good", and the difference will be not between brands and models, but between one accordion and the next off the factory line. Some of the "differences" can be remedied by a repairman, at some cost, but with some luck it won't be necessary - you'll be able to live with them. If I were you I think I'd just go ahead and drop the coin on whichever one appeals to you for whatever reason. Not to alarm you, but there's some reason to think you may not live forever. Piginis are overrated. There's an accordion shop a couple miles north of Berkeley, never been but I believe it's a good one.

@lordzedd Awesome, I've been looking for a video like that. Thanks.
@donn Haha, true. It seems that I might be able to get a better instrument if I dont limit myself to free bass, but I'm kind of obsessed with the idea, so, it looks like I'm limited to either the Rubin 7, or the Tula-302. Here are the specs. Based on these, is there one that is "better"?:

Tula 302 - $1400
27.55 lbs
treble: 3 rows - 61 butons
bass: 6 rows - 120 bass
double casotto
5 treble / 6 bass reed plates

Rubin 7 - $1050 -
23.2 lbs
treble: 3 rows 64 buttons
Bass: 6 rows / 120 bass buttons
3 treble reed plates, 4 bass reed plates

Then there's a Rubin 3 weith this difference:
Rubin 3 = (5 treble reed plates w/ 2 switches)

OK Nevermind. That video sold me. That's the one I'm getting. Plus it has Casotto.

I can tell I'm going to love this forum! Thank you sll very much!

Melasonos,

Consider also making an introduction thread in the New on Here area. You might find more folks closer than you expect or at least some regional resources for instruction, collaboration, etc.

Zach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back