• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

2024 Forum Zooms 5 - 10. Starting March 1.

We never sound like what we hear locally. I myself had WAY better results when I did the zoom tests from my desktop to my laptop in the other room... but I see a few places where I will make some improvements. A lot of it was because I left on the mic and it mixed it's "crap" in with the cleaner digital sound. I noticed that Zoom doesn't record in stereo either, which was a little disappointment for me.

David, I hear what you meant now about that lavalier noise, I'll look in to it, or just leave the mic attached to the shoulder strap next time. As far as the sound quality of what I heard from your side, that was not so much what I was listening to as much as enjoying the tonality of your Morino. :)

That was a good idea to get that "sound check" recording. Yes Zoom gave me a seperate audio file, but the MP4 it created also contained sound, and was even slightly better, so I don't know what that was all about. I just deleted it and used the audio in the MP4 file.

When I add acoustic accordion to the mix, I'll be adding 2 small condenser mics very close (about 12 inches away from the accordion) that I know is going to sound OK. Using a v-accordion is a lot easier to get good sound with... zero external sounds get in!

We had some good laughs today and a lot of fun. Look forward to a little more fun in a couple weeks!!

Reactions: Tom
We never sound like what we think. I myself had WAY better results when I did the test from my desktop to my laptop in the other room... but I see a few places where I will make some improvements. A lot of it was because I left on the mic and it mixed it's "crap" in with the cleaner digital sound. I noticed that Zoom doesn't record in stereo either, which was a little disappointment for me.
I assure you that I heard you in stereo just fine. I don't think I heard others in stereo, but since noone else used clearly separated left/right images, I don't know for sure.
David, I hear what you meant now about that lavalier noise, I'll look in to it, or just leave the mic attached to the shoulder straps.

That was a good idea to get that "sound check" recording. Yes Zoom gave me a seperate audio file, but the MP4 it created also contained sound, and was even slightly better, so I don't know what that was all about. I just deleted it and used the audio in the MP4 file.

When I add acoustic accordion to the mix, I'll be adding 2 small condenser mics very close (about 12 inches away from the accordion) that I know is going to sound OK. Using a v-accordion is a lot easier to get good sound.
Sure. I got two large condensors in A-B stereo as a compromise for both speech and sound here (my last recordings used a more complex microphone and processing setup) that tends to be pretty faithful.

Tom-I was looking forward to participating again but I couldn’t find any information on the event I just missed. I’m going to try and be there on the 15th. For anyone who hasn’t joined but is interested-Tom is the kindest most welcoming host. He really goes to great lengths to include everyone.
And Tom-please consider coming north for the annual Italian/Portuguese street festival. Lots of food-lots of wonderful old-timers playing beautiful accordions on the street. Sometime early in the summer.

Tom-I was looking forward to participating again but I couldn’t find any information on the event I just missed. I’m going to try and be there on the 15th. For anyone who hasn’t joined but is interested-Tom is the kindest most welcoming host. He really goes to great lengths to include everyone.
And Tom-please consider coming north for the annual Italian/Portuguese street festival. Lots of food-lots of wonderful old-timers playing beautiful accordions on the street. Sometime early in the summer.
Thanks for your kind words Alan. I’m sorry you missed the details on the last zoom. It’s so hard to know how and where best to post it. (The info is in this thread, and will be for the next zoom too, March 15, 2024, 18:00 UTC.)

Yeah, keep me updated on the festival, please, although I probably won’t make it 😞. And I think you’re actually south of me already! 🤣. Just sayin’.

Note that 1800 UTC has been 1000 Pacific / 1100 Mountain / 1200 Central / 1300 Eastern up until now, but next week it'll be daylight saving time in the USA, so 1800 will convert to 1100 Pacific / 1400 Eastern.

Note that 1800 UTC has been 1000 Pacific / 1100 Mountain / 1200 Central / 1300 Eastern up until now, but next week it'll be daylight saving time in the USA, so 1800 will convert to 1100 Pacific / 1400 Eastern.
Omg, thanks so much Siegmund. Now I gotta think! And change up the notifications. Since it will be one hour “later” here, at least I can try to catch anyone who signs in early.

Reminder:

As Seigmund noted above, Zoom #6 will be Friday, March 15, at 18:00 UTC, same as the first 5. However, due to Daylight Savings Time in the US and most of Canada, it will be 13:00, or 1:00pm Central Standard Time, 2:00 Eastern Standard Time. (Hope I got it right.)

This should hold also for Zoom #7, and then change again in April for British Daylight Time.

Sorry for the extra thought, like transposing to key of B, I guess.

Anyway, I will try to catch people who join early. I’ll post the temporary link here, as usual.

See you Friday!

See you then, Jerry!

Here's the link for today's zoom, 18:00 UTC, 1:00 Central Time.

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 813 7109 2859
Passcode: 157447

Hmmmm, I noticed the tile for this post reads "zooms" as opposed to "zoom" which may have kept people from seeing it. For next zoom I'll start a new post with "zoom" for meetings 7 - 10. See you soon!

Well, I finally arrived in Chemnitz after 11h of trains (of course, with failed connections) so I could actually join. Except that I am without accordion, could only use laptop cam/sound, and the Airbnb does not have WiFi so I am only connected using GSM, and a video conference would drain my current quota pretty fast. Not to mention that I still have to work on my talk tomorrow. So I'll skip this meeting and probably will join next time from before freshly pained walls in my new abode, assuming that the telcom manages to connect me in time.

Have fun!

Well, I finally arrived in Chemnitz after 11h of trains (of course, with failed connections) so I could actually join. Except that I am without accordion, could only use laptop cam/sound, and the Airbnb does not have WiFi so I am only connected using GSM, and a video conference would drain my current quota pretty fast. Not to mention that I still have to work on my talk tomorrow. So I'll skip this meeting and probably will join next time from before freshly pained walls in my new abode, assuming that the telcom manages to connect me in time.

Have fun!
Thanks David! Chemnitz you say? Is that where Chemnitzer concertinas are/were from?

Thanks David! Chemnitz you say? Is that where Chemnitzer concertinas are/were from?
Yes. In the GDR, they renamed the town to "Karl-Marx-Stadt" but it has taken back its original name after the German reunification.

Zoom 6 was great, another 6 person meeting with people from Canada, Wales and the US. Thanks guys! Zoom #7 will be Friday, March 29. See you then!

I had a good time, but that mic noise from my side bugged me. Gotta find the fix for that!
Someone mentioned distortion, another said distortion, I should have asked to record a sound check. :)

Just a reminder here that Zoom #7 will be tomorrow, March 29, 2024, same time, 18:00 UTC, 2:00 pm EDT. See you then! I’ll post the temporary link here.

(Note correction to 2:00 edt). Hard to keep all these times straight….

Last edited:
I really want to be able to make it to one of these meetings. School is making it very difficult to try and find a time that works. I imagine I will be able to if the Zoom meetings continue during the Summer.

I really want to be able to make it to one of these meetings. School is making it very difficult to try and find a time that works. I imagine I will be able to if the Zoom meetings continue during the Summer.
Hope to see you then, good luck with your schooling.

I won't tell you just how much time I spent cussing about not being able to find the link, before I figured out that today was Thursday.

Back