• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

1930's Regina Keyboard Access?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alaskairishbox

Hello,
I am not really a Piano Accordion kid of guy, I play melodeon, but happen to be working on one and got stuck on a PA specific question.
The box is a little tiny Hohner Regina. It might be called a Regina I although it only says Regina. It has flat reed pans instead of reed blocks. The melodeon equivalent of this instrument is a Preciosa.

I would like to replace some broken key springs and am having issues. Despite two screws that connect the top of the keyboard to the body, the keyboard might actually be glued on in addition.
The proper way to access the key springs appears to be to pull the rods that the keys pivot on. These rods don't stick out enough to grab them with pliers, so that's not going to work.

I feel like I am missing something. Anyone have an idea where to go from here?

I don't think you are missing anything. The keyboard is glued on, and screwed as well, but it is not normally removable.

You do have to pull the axle rod to remove the keys and get to the springs. It is difficult. Not only is it difficult to grip the end of the rod securely, but it is likely to be very tight. To make matters worse the rod is probably brass so it will not stand up to much force. Sometimes you can assist the removal process by these methods:
1 A small keyless chuck is better than pliers to grip the rod.
2 cut away some of the wood around the end of the rod so that your tool can get hold of it better.
3 If you can grip the rod then try to twist it while pulling, this can make it easier to remove. Be careful though because it might break off inside.
4 you can try to drill a hole at the opposite end of the rod so that you can push it out with a drift, but be careful not to deform the end of the rod where you push.
5 I've never tried this but I have seen it suggested: try to heat the rod by passing an electric current through it. You have to gain access to both ends of the rod, and you have to quite a high current, but you also have to have good control of the current or you may start a fire.

It is about the hardest task in repairing an old accordion - good luck!

Thanks for the help.
I was suspecting that my options were going to be something like that. Wow what a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back