• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Yorkshire lad checking in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm just in the throws on buying myself an accordion, a three row button. I've never played one before, so I thought it wise to sign up here and get my feet under the table, as I'll may well need some assistance in getting started with it.

I expect to get it within the next two weeks, and will post pics when it lands. In the meantime, Ibe scouring the site, trying to lap up info in advance of its arrival.

Cheers

Hi, AW!
Welcome!
I once had a Statistics lecturer recently from Yorkshire. What with the burr in his accent and th echo in the room being used, we found it difficult to understand anything he said.
Luckily, the course content was well covered in the recommended reading material and we all managed a pass! :)

Welcome Wanderer!

Dingo40 said:
Hi, AW!
Welcome!
I once had a Statistics lecturer recently from Yorkshire. What with the burr in his accent and th echo in the room being used, we found it difficult to understand anything he said.
Luckily, the course content was well covered in the recommended reading material and we all managed a pass! :)

Thanks Dingo. I have a fairly strong accent too, but most folks understand me. Although, any Americans I've met abroad mistake me for an Aussie for some reason.

JerryPH said:

Thanks Jerry

Tom said:
Welcome Wanderer!

Thanks Tom

AW,
Well, I'm sure the Australian accent owes a lot to immigrants from Yorkshire, my erstwhile lecturer included  :), and most likely many more who have arrived here since I hung about in lecture rooms! :)

In fact, to me it seems very noticeable how the various accents of "English " speakers of all kinds (including the royals) have changed since th 1950s. It must be the telly? :huh:

No problem here understanding him. I'm married to a Yorkshire man! Great bike racing.

So AW, hello from me, and you write your posts in whatever accent you want.

Dingo40 pid=68960 dateline=1577993843 said:
AW,
Well, Im sure the Australian accent owes a lot to immigrants from Yorkshire, my erstwhile lecturer included  :), and most likely many more who have arrived here since I hung about in lecture rooms! :)

In fact, to me it seems very noticeable how the various accents of English speakers of all kinds (including the royals) have changed since th 1950s. It must be the telly? :huh:

I think there has been a slight softening of accents generally, as back then you only needed to be understood by people from the same town or village. Since then, theres been a lot more movement, and a lot more communication between people from different regions and countries, digitally as well as in person.

Dingo40 pid=68963 dateline=1577999637 said:
Now, heres a Guy with an undeniable accent! :)
(BTW, Im a fan)

Guy Martin! Top lad! Ive got a lot of respect for that bloke.

Bella pid=68975 dateline=1578006859 said:
No problem here understanding him. Im married to a Yorkshire man! Great bike racing.

So AW, hello from me, and you write your posts in whatever accent you want.

Thanks Bella. I dare say a little bit of my Yorkshireness may creep into my written word from time to time :)

Hello AW,

I am from the other (best) side of the Pennine Hills, though I'm sure you will take issue with that. Though Lancastrians & Yorkists are natural enemies, I nevertheless welcome you to this forum. (I understand that there is a ceasefire in force at the moment.)

I look forward to reading your future contributions, and hope that you thoroughly enjoy the forum.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen Hawkins said:
Hello AW,

I am from the other (best) side of the Pennine Hills, though I'm sure you will take issue with that.  Though Lancastrians & Yorkists are natural enemies, I nevertheless welcome you to this forum.  (I understand that there is a ceasefire in force at the moment.)

I look forward to reading your future contributions, and hope that you thoroughly enjoy the forum.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

We were probably on the same side. As I understand it, the armies of the House of York was mainly Southerners, and House of Lancaster mainly Northerners. York itself was a Lancastrian base. So no hostility here, and the tops of the Pennines look better than either side :D

Cheers

Hi AW,

I started learning the same thing in the summer of what is now last year - just a three row CBA. Found it a steep learning curve but really starting to enjoy it (with occasional frustrations!).

I live in Yorkshire too and had to mail order something as well, in my case from Germany.

Hope you get on well with it.

Ben

saundersbp said:
Hi AW,

I started learning the same thing in the summer of what is now last year - just a three row CBA. Found it a steep learning curve but really starting to enjoy it (with occasional frustrations!).

I live in Yorkshire too and had to mail order something as well, in my case from Germany.

Hope you get on well with it.

Ben

Thanks Ben. Nice to hear of another learner on the three row.

Stephen Hawkins said:
Hi AW,

No, there is no real hostility between Lancs & Yorks, but it is fun keeping up the tradition.  

Best Wishes,

Stephen.

Oh absolutely! I just like pointing out that war was actually mainly North vs South, rather than East vs West :D

colinm said:
Hello AW , do you still live in yorkshire or were you just born there?

Still there, Colin. Different town, but always lived in Yorkshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back