• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Workshop layout and must haves

Status
Not open for further replies.

the boxman

Reaction score
I’m going to convert a small outhouse which is dry and damp free into a small retreat for myself. Somewhere that I can go and dabble about with old accordions and try to develop my skills (that’s if I actually have any to begin with). What sort of layout do you guys have in your workshops. Any tips on what type of layout works best, and do you have any must have equipment. As im starting from scratch I have a good operunity to incorporate any suresetions. 

It’s approximately 7 feet x7 feet and has a power supply and a window. 

Look forward to all the suggestions.

Interesting post.

Similar situation, as I must find a place to practice and dabble with my stuff without interfering with others' needs/priorities ...
About a mile and a half from home I have a place where I plan to install a 20 ft marine container and am looking for ideas how to plan the space, 20 ft x 8 ft size ...
It makes me a healthy walk every day, or twice a day sometimes, and a place where I'm free to work and practice at my pace ...
All tips very welcome, thanks in advance ...

I was thinking about acoustics when tuning. If you have hard surfaces will this produce an echo that will distort the reading on your tuner.

Carpet on the floor and one of the walls addresses 75% of any echo situations. A desk to work on... the toils needed, that I leave to the experts.

A refrigerator for your beer, chairs for your friends, a stereo for your music.

I like your thinking Tom, it’s along the same lines as my own lol.

Jerry I was undecided between vinyl or carpet for the floor, so carpet it is.

What about fitting ceiling tiles they Are made from a similar material to fibre insulation only stiffer and would offer good sound absorption

the boxman said:
I like your thinking Tom, it’s along the same lines as my own lol.

Jerry  I was undecided between vinyl or carpet for the floor,  so carpet it is.

What about fitting ceiling tiles they Are made from a similar material to fibre insulation only stiffer and would offer good sound absorption

The ceiling tiles would be a better option than something hard and more reflective, for sure, but they still will bounce some amount of sound off them.  That is what I use in my basement studio and I am pretty happy with the results.  It's not totally "dead" but has just enough that I can control it or leave it for some character. depending on my needs.

Whatever you do, I don't suggest wasting money on those special shaped foam wall pieces you place on the walls... waste of money, you want sound absorption, not sound deflection in small rooms (anything under 15X15 feet).

Definitely the idea of a beer fridge and some way of hearing some music is a definite "must have".  :)

the boxman said:
I’m going to convert a small outhouse which is dry and damp free into a small retreat for myself. Somewhere that I can go and dabble about with old accordions and try to develop my skills (that’s if I actually have any to begin with). What sort of layout do you guys have in your workshops. Any tips on what type of layout works best, and do you have any must have equipment. As im starting from scratch I have a good operunity to incorporate any suresetions. 

It’s approximately 7 feet x7 feet and has a power supply and a window. 

Look forward to all the suggestions.

If you are to work on and or leave accordions in that particular outbuilding you should realize it has to stay reasonably dry with a low humidity content.
Those reeds would otherwise rust quickly and the old dry wood will take on moisture and possibly warp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back