• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Where are the Hohner Fun (models) assembled, China or Germany or Italy?

The "Fun" CBA I tried in a shop in France was in the upper 6,000 euros, as of about 4/5 years ago. Probably more now given how accordions have gone up in price across the board. I think it was a 96-bass and more than 3 voices. Bigger/heavier than my uses and too rich for my blood, but . . . it played and responded like a much lighter instrument and the tone was like caramel, big yet warm. Really lovely. I did feel some yearning. They had several, some bigger than the one I got to try. The owner had to go to the other room to give a lesson so he wanted to shut the place and I had to stop.

Last edited:
The "Fun" CBA I tried in a shop in France was in the upper 6,000 euros, as of about 4/5 years ago. Probably more now given how accordions have gone up in price across the board. I think it was a 96-bass and more than 3 voices. Bigger/heavier than my uses and too rich for my blood, but . . . it played and responded like a much lighter instrument and the tone was like caramel, big yet warm. Really lovely. I did feel some yearning. They had several, some bigger than the one I got to try. The owner had to go to the other room to give a lesson so he wanted to shut the place and I had to stop.

This isn't the shop I visited, but here are several Hohner "Fun" PAs. Lowest price is a 3-voice 37/96 at 7,600.00 euro. They go up from there. Ignore the one with no photo that says "Hohner Nova III 96" at 7,600.00 euro--that is the Asian-made 3-voice Hohner Nova CBA and either the price or the model designation is a mistake.

Here are their listings for "Fun" CBAs. I see the current "Fun Light" is no longer an Asian "Fun Nova Light" like the one I described above. They're now underscoring "Italy," and it's an MM at 4,800.00 euros. They go up from there.

Last edited:
Here are their listings for "Fun" CBAs. I see the current "Fun Light" is no longer an Asian "Fun Nova Light" like the one I described above. They're now underscoring "Italy," and it's an MM at 4,800.00 euros. They go up from there.
Wow, is it me, or is that some crazy pricing? šŸ˜²

D

Don't forget Saltarelle's little MM 60- bass folksize CBA at US $6,000.00:

Pricing on what basis, Jerry?
Look back at the prices of similar instruments made in the '50s and '60s and the after tax incomes of the same ers.
Of course, I cannot do so for the US scenario, but I do know that in the UK and here in Australia we seem to compare 'Golden Age' prices without considering the purchasing power of and the hours of labour required to amass the currency in the "Good Old Days".

Look back at the prices of similar instruments made in the '50s and '60s and the after tax incomes of the same ers.
Of course, I cannot do so for the US scenario, but I do know that in the UK and here in Australia we seem to compare 'Golden Age' prices without considering the purchasing power of and the hours of labour required to amass the currency in the "Good Old Days".
Well, you also have to consider the workhours invested into building an instrument. "manufactured" once meant "hand-made". General prices in terms of workhours went down exactly because the number of workhours for building technology (and agricultural production) in particular went down due to mechanisation. In their heydays, Hohner employed about 5000 workers.

I guess for me, itā€™s just the dollar amount and itā€™s hard to justify a new accordion nowadays when often the same accordion used but still in excellent condition is 25%-50% of that number. No offence to the hard workers that make our favorite instrument, but I find it hard to say that a 37/96 instrument is getting 5k-6k numbers, the first thought is yeah, thatā€™s a LOT of money for what you are getting.

I understand that this is a ā€œmeā€ issue, I know the ā€œaverageā€ good full sized accordion is now in the 5-digit rangeā€¦ it is hard to justify in my head. :)

I guess for me, itā€™s just the dollar amount and itā€™s hard to justify a new accordion nowadays when often the same accordion used but still in excellent condition is 25%-50% of that number. No offence to the hard workers that make our favorite instrument, but I find it hard to say that a 37/96 instrument is getting 5k-6k numbers, the first thought is yeah, thatā€™s a LOT of money for what you are getting.

I understand that this is a ā€œmeā€ issue, I know the ā€œaverageā€ good full sized accordion is now in the 5-digit rangeā€¦ it is hard to justify in my head. :)

Hence, astute motorcar/automobile purchasers, including millionaires, (c.f "The Millionaire next door" and "Your money or your life" books) never buy a new one.
They know that the cost of possibly repairing a carefully purchased used model is significantly less than the depreciation of both vehicle and capital (even worse with a credit purchase) once it leaves the showroom.
Add to that the possible cost and inconvenience of in-workshop waiting times for repairs/recalls under warranty.

The Fun line was, I believe, developed by Frederic Dechamps, as an instrument for the virtuoso entertainment/musette style. These are high quality accordions. There was a time when most of the world champions in this category played a Funflash etc accordion. I suspect the very high price is because they are made in an Italian factory for Hohner, so the factory needs to make a profit and then Hohner need their profit too. Hohner aren't shy when it comes to making profit instead of accordions.

Last edited:
Quite a few seem to be played by young virtuosos in Asia.

While it's true that accordions are expensive to make, it's also true that recent price increases are outstripping inflation. That "sticker shock" feeling is not without basis.

Back