• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What is "omit3"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the "omit3" means in the bass notation below please?

1603305718218.png

I think that means no thirds, so called "power chords" that are just the root and the fifth (and arguably aren't chords as such.) Some diatonic boxes have an "omit thirds" stop on the bass end, I've not heard of such a thing on Stradella chords so it's a matter of doing something else.
...If I'm right as to what it means...

Found this article with the focus on "omit3." And it agrees with TomBR's post:

Interesting. I've seen guitar notation that says "G5" for a G power chord, like TomBR mentioned. Maybe they are going for a specific tone in the bass here (not an absence of major or minor) since the 'B' that they are omitting pops up quit a bit in the melody?

You can POWERCHORD it by playing bass notes GD together for the Gomit3.
FC together and pulse the G for Fomit3/G
F/G is F chord with G bass note
Hope that helps... Get ready to rock... ?

Oh well ... way too complicated for me :(

You can POWERCHORD it by playing bass notes GD together for the Gomit3.
FC together and pulse the G for Fomit3/G
F/G is F chord with G bass note
Hope that helps... Get ready to rock... ?
Like Terry says.
I think that if using two bass notes one would need the lightest possible bass registration. Two growly bass notes together are rarely nice!

I'm curious about the E natural, D natural and B natural melody line over the Eb minor chord in bar 31 and 36.

Like Terry says.
I think that if using two bass notes one would need the lightest possible bass registration. Two growly bass notes together are rarely nice!
This is one of the times you can usually get away with playing two bass notes. Since they're a fifth apart, the upper harmonics match up nicely rather than clash with each other.

Which is also why power chords sound great (and not annoyingly muddy) on the lower strings of a heavily-distorted guitar:

Here's a trick for you TomBR if you'd like to dabble with 2 bass notes...
Play bass notes C and G together with pinkie and ring finger, Hit two beats phonetically (Sounds as Mummy)
Then play notes C with pinkie and A with index finger, Hit two beats phonetically (sounds as Daddy)
Now repeat... Mummy Daddy, mummy daddy etc...... Swing a little....
Man you're playing the blues...... ?

Play bass notes C and G together with pinkie and ring finger, Hit two beats phonetically (Sounds as Mummy)
Then play notes C with pinkie and A with index finger, Hit two beats phonetically (sounds as Daddy)
I think I've seen a video with Dick Contino (or someone like that) doing this riff. Although I believe he was using the A bass button that's counterbass to F, which makes the fingering 3 & 2 on the C & G, then 4 & 3 on the A & C.

Thanks Terry, good fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back