• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

what does the symbol for the two registers on the right mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing the above pictures, Glug?
So what do we have?
Bandoneon reed only in cassotto.
But, only one coupler displays the bandoneon marking and both have the mysterious, other symbol.
So, the mystery symbol shouldn't relate to cassotto?
Also, each right hand coupler already has a twin, except for also having the mystery mark.
And, the mystery mark changes location from coupler to coupler.
So what's different between having the mystery mark and not having it??
Beats me?
Perhaps the standard bandoneon symbol indicates L paired with the in-tune M; while the bandoneon-with-mark indicates L paired with the sharp-M?

Scuromondo,
But then, the same mystery symbol would have two separate meanings on adjacent couplers??
It's a puzzle!?

Scuromondo,
But then, the same mystery symbol would have two separate meanings on adjacent couplers??
It's a puzzle!?
I’m guessing that the mystery symbol is meant to show combinations using the sharp-M reed set. So by my logic, the coupler on the far right would indicate H with sharp-M, while the coupler immediately to the left of the master coupler would be H with in-tune M.

Last edited:
Glug's link above shows an accordion with the same symbol. I have contacted the vendor to see if they know. I think you are right, Dingo40 and Scuromondo, the symbol is unrelated to the Cassotto, probably refers to the sharp M, and the Cassotto only applies to L, not to M (is that right?). However, I followed Gonk's instruction and looked for the Cassotto pallet, but couldn't find it (mind you, I am a total idiot when it comes to accordions on the inside).

If been reading the banter on this tread for 3 days now.
Dingo made a correct guess Fri. and Scuromondo got it yesterday. Should have been a first & 2nd prize.

These two reed combos are rarely found on accordion models today but were easily accomplished on the older "00"Excelsiors.
The older 4 rocker design had (1) L (2) H (3) M (4) M For the combos in question here you would press 1&4 and 2&4 .
There were only 4 rocker switches but gave you 16 combinations.

Dingo made a correct guess Fri. and Scuromondo got it yesterday. Should have been a first & 2nd prize.
Yes -- and Dingo could hold the cup together with "SkimmingtonRide" on Reddit, also on Friday:
It has 2 reed sets in the middle register, so if I had to guess I'd have said they're using the 2nd middle reed (so might sound a little detuned compared to the switches without the extra dashes perhaps? I guess it would depend how wet the tuning of the middle reeds is - it could be quite subtle)
I agree that that is the most reasonable answer. The "half shuttered" theory has merit too but is less likely.

The other question, about identifying a cassotto instrument, is separate. Zauheimu, if you're still not seeing where the 'shelf' is, here are two photographs that should make it very clear:

If Jim D gives an answer on this, as he did early in this discussion, that's good enough for me!

Perhaps I omitted accordions with Tone Chamber (Cassotto) 95% of accordions with tone chamber have the Dry L & M set of reeds in the
tone chamber. Reeds out of chamber may be 2 wet M sets or 1 wet Met set & 1 Dry L set. These shifts offer the same result as a non
Cassotto accordion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back