• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What bass system is this musician likely using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newbie trying to figure out what bass system (Stradella, convertor, etc.) Luciano Biondini is using in this video with his Victoria. I enjoy Biondini's playing and was wondering if more experienced players on this website might be able to identify the bass system from watching/listening to Biondini...

Last edited:
It's a Stradella system. He plays combined chords and basslines. Biondini is one of the best accordionists we have in Italy. Great!
Thank you so much, Giovanni! That is very helpful. There are so many amazing accordionists in Italy but I'm embarrassed to say that I only recently learned about Biondini. My mind is blown -- I'm listening to all his albums on repeat :) Thanks again! Sean

Thank you so much, Giovanni! That is very helpful. There are so many amazing accordionists in Italy but I'm embarrassed to say that I only recently learned about Biondini. My mind is blown -- I'm listening to all his albums on repeat :) Thanks again! Sean
You're welcome! My other favorite Italian accordionists are Simone Zanchini, Emanuele Rastelli and Pietro Adragna. Find them on YouTube if you don't already know them!

You're welcome! My other favorite Italian accordionists are Simone Zanchini, Emanuele Rastelli and Pietro Adragna. Find them on YouTube if you don't already know them!
Awesome - Thanks for sharing! :)

In this piece he is only using Stradella, and if I have seen correctly then he plays the model "Virtuoso" which has no convertor.

Never mind the accordion, who on earth constructed the wooden frame jutting out of the treble side of the box. I presume it carries a microphone array, and it sounds good, but surely it could have been made to look less like a temporary lash up knocked together as an emergency stop gap.?

Never mind the accordion, who on earth constructed the wooden frame jutting out of the treble side of the box. I presume it carries a microphone array, and it sounds good, but surely it could have been made to look less like a temporary lash up knocked together as an emergency stop gap.?
It's an ugly frame but it's very practical since it can be used on different accordions, is external so there's no need to install anything inside and it works perfectly because it has 5 capsules well shielded in order to avoid monitor feedback.
Yeah, it doesn't look nice but I guess that Biondini doesn't care at all about it.

It's an ugly frame but it's very practical since it can be used on different accordions, is external so there's no need to install anything inside and it works perfectly because it has 5 capsules well shielded in order to avoid monitor feedback.
Yeah, it doesn't look nice but I guess that Biondini doesn't care at all about it.
It looks like it's a Harmonik microphone system. It should actually be internally connected through to a mic on the bass side. That then makes it not usable on different accordions...
Victoria is one of the few brands of accordions that is regularly played without the grille. I think this "craze" was initiated by Richard Galliano. I don't know why anyone would want to do this since we don't need the extra "power" once mics are involved. And it is quite dangerous as you can all too easily damage the mechanism (which I believe happened to Galliano once and made him search for a repairer in Paris when it happened...).

It looks like it's a Harmonik microphone system. It should actually be internally connected through to a mic on the bass side. That then makes it not usable on different accordions...
Victoria is one of the few brands of accordions that is regularly played without the grille. I think this "craze" was initiated by Richard Galliano. I don't know why anyone would want to do this since we don't need the extra "power" once mics are involved. And it is quite dangerous as you can all too easily damage the mechanism (which I believe happened to Galliano once and made him search for a repairer in Paris when it happened...).

I can't tell that this is the reason but I know some jazz accordionists that prefer to take off the grille to have a less folkish look.

Some others like the sound without grille because it's crisper, especially on the high frequencies.

I don't know if it's something related to the brand Victoria, it could be just a coincidence or their grille could have some defect.

Last edited:
He is Luigi Stocchi, aka Gigi Stock. He used the Belgian layout (aka "alla Modenese"). It's not a very popular system but it's still used.

Lucio,
Thanks , I thought that's what it was, but not confident about it ??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back