• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

We loved this - crazy!

JKJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since I can’t even hold the accordion for a while I’ve been practicing the right hand with a melodica - I can hold it vertically and pretend it’s (sort of) an accordion keyboard!

I found this just now - ok, from the top, with feeling. :)

(Sorry if everyone but me has already seen it)

JKJ

wow, that is remarkable faithful to the original tune!!! I had to watch to the end just because... LOL

Good clean fun! They have a BUNCH more videos, here are a few:

Flight of the Bumblebee
Nimble fingers for sure.

William Tell Overture

Star Wars

Zelda Medley

And in the spirit of the season:

In one piece they even added an accordion!

Said they met while studying brass at the Peabody Conservatory, one trumpet, the other bass trombone.

JKJ

Perhaps obliquely related: For fans of the music in Bohemian Rhapsody, I just stumbled on this...

bohemian_rhapsody.jpg
He's just a poor boy from a poor family

(1/22/2019, from the book "Pearls Awaits the Tide", a Pearls before Swine treasury, by Stephan Pastis,
copyright 2021, reproduction specifically permitted "in the context of reviews" so here is my review:
This cartoon is clever. I bought the book from Amazon)

Flight of the Bumblebee
Nimble fingers for sure.

William Tell Overture

Star Wars

Zelda Medley

Said they met while studying brass at the Peabody Conservatory, one trumpet, the other bass trombone.

JKJ
Who still thinks these are kids toys compared to the chromatic version?

Another one. If can spare just 17 seconds, listen to the pitch bending at the beginning Rhapsody in Blue.

Then there’s the tonguing and other breath dynamics. I’m practicing some of these on my Suzuki (with my one working arm) but I have a LONG way to go…

JKJ

Last edited:
Another one. If can spare just 17 seconds, listen to the pitch bending at the beginning Rhapsody in Blue.

Then there’s the tonguing and other breath dynamics. I’m practicing some of these on my Suzuki (with my one working arm) but I have a LONG way to go…

JKJ
Just as a few commenters mentioned - overdubbed and, in my opinion as one who has grandkids of significant musical talent who played these abominations, very much finto!
The 'bending is either digitally reshaped, or - and it sounds more like the case - overdubbed from and actual harmonica (harp).
If any of you have played these horrorible things, you would know that the small bored flexitubes cannot carry sufficient airflow to handle those big chords either.

If any of you have played these horrorible things, you would know that the small bored flexitubes cannot carry sufficient airflow to handle those big chords either.

The specific instrument might make a difference. I do know this: of the three I have here, the best one has much richer chord sounds and is much more efficient with the same airflow. (the better tapered reeds? the resonance chamber?) I can get respectable volume from even 5-finger chords. As for the video, I wasn’t there so I don‘t know what instruments they are using, what is technique, what’s inherent, and what is processed. Maybe that silly concept of “the more you pay” has some small bearing. [gasp] Regardless of how the video was created, I very much enjoyed the listen. (and the showmanship - good fun!)

From my own limited experience (and google) I know melodica bends are possible even on the cheap ones, although much harder than on, say, the harmonica - there, the easily “shaped” airstream plays a big role (as do having individual holes for each pair of reeds, of course). On the melodica, combining breath and key control is needed, according to those teaching. One mentioned bends were better with a specific mouthpiece but I haven’t explored that yet, perhaps soon. With one arm in a sling, with the piano, accordion, and even the guitar off limits for months, me somehow has more exploration time on me hands, er, right hand. :LOL:

One question - are controlled pitch bends possible on today’s electronic accordions (e.g. Roland)? Easy on my ancient midi keyboard controllers, either with a pitch wheel or for more fun, with individual key aftertouch on the Kurzweil Midiboard. Do the Rolands offer such features?

JKJ

JKJ said,
"Regardless of how the video was created, I very much enjoyed the listen. (and the showmanship - good fun!)"

They say "An opportunist makes hay from the grass that grows under other peoples' feet. "
No matter how it's done, these guys sure are making hay!😄❤️

Last edited:
They say "An opportunist makes hay from the grass that grows under other peoples' feet. "
No matter how it's done, these guys sure are making hay!😄❤️

What a coincidence you wrote that today! After a "fun" PT session today we put another 100 bales of hay in three storage locations on the farm. (when I say "we put" I mean two helpers did the work the one-armed farmer supervised! :LOL: That makes at least 500 bales this calendar year. (At $8.50 to $13 a bale around here that gets a little pricey!) I sure wish there was an easy way to use what others walk on, mow, and sometimes even bag and send to the dump!

Years ago before I put up fencing to turn our hay fields into pastures I borrowed a friends equipment and we produced our own hay. For those who haven't done so it's more than a little work - rent a seed drill twice a year and plant new seed (I used a mix of clover, fescue, and orchard grass), treat the fields at the exactly the right time to eliminate the noxious weeds, fertilize the ground at least once (I mostly spread composted manure now), grow the grass, mow (with one machine) at the right time when the weather cooperates, tedder (spread it out with a machine) a few times until it's exactly the right dryness, rake (with another machine) into windrow, bale (with another machine), pick it up by hand (or with another machine), move and stack it in the dry until ready to sell or use. Do any of these wrong and it's wasted.

It was so much work for what we got that even with free loan of the equipment it made more sense to just buy what I need from another friend who produces thousands of bales each year. I usually haul it from his farm 150 bales at a time stacked on a big gooseneck trailer pulled with a powerful diesel truck (60 miles round trip). Then it still has to be unloaded, stored/stacked in a special bilding.

We were using so much hay every year and as I got older I started downsizing by selling animals to have fewer to feed and water every day! My hay eaters are now down to a manageable three horses and two camelids. I still have way too many peacocks, turkeys, and guineas which don't eat hay butt more expensive feed, but that's all self inflicted from collecting and incubating eggs every year. (Hey, how may peacocks do you need?) At least peacocks sell well for some reason, fetching between $125-$200 each depending on size and type. (The big time breaders get $300 or more for each bird, depending on variety.)

I love interacting with the animals but as I get older it gets harder, to feed and water all the critters especially when it's freezing outside or pouring rain. I probably spend 2-5 hours a day just feeding, watering, and occasionally doctoring one as needed. I've gotten reasonably good about sewing up cuts and such.

This is from when we put up our own hay.
bailin_hay.jpg

Buying form someone else is so much easier!
hay_IMG_20170918_182419_563.jpg

This is what happens when you leave a few bales in the
truck and go to the house for a few minutes!
hay_goats_IMG_2801.jpg

How's that for off-topic!
I couldn't sleep last night so came downstairs sometime after 3am, typed this, then woke up in my chair at 8am with the laptop still on my knees.
Almost as if I'd spent the night at the Pub.

JKJ

Last edited:
The farmers hereabouts have just recently been cutting and gathering hay in their paddocks (fields) which are currently dotted with bales of it, some square (like your's), others in huge rolls and wrapped in plastic.
We have a large commercial export hay producer who keeps a lot of hay under cover in huge tin sheds. Every now and then, there's a large fire breaks out from spontaneous ignition and one or two of the sheds burn down, hay and all. The fires last for days. We had another instance the other day.
Very unfortunate, but it keeps happening.
Most of the other producers keep their hay in the big round bales outdoors, arranged in long rows: they don't appear to have any problem with fires.
To the "townie", like myself, hay bales of any kind, standing in fields in orderly rows, make for a pretty scene that lifts one's spirits: a promise of plentiful prosperity!🙂

Last edited:
The farmers hereabouts have just recently been cutting and gathering hay in their paddocks (fields) which are currently dotted with bales of it, some square (like your's), others in huge rolls and wrapped in plastic.
We have a large commercial export hay producer who keeps a lot of hay under cover in huge tin sheds. Every now and then, there's a large fire breaks out from spontaneous ignition and one or two of the sheds burn down, hay and all. The fires last for days. We had another instance the other day.
Very unfortunate, but it keeps happening.
Most of the other producers keep their hay in the big round bales outdoors, arranged in long rows: they don't appear to have any problem with fires.
To the "townie", like myself, hay bales of any kind, standing in fields in orderly rows, make for a pretty scene that lifts one's spirits: a promise of plentiful prosperity!🙂

I normally use square bales, about 50 lbs each, since I can (normally) handle them easily. A round bale needs power equipment for handling. However, the hay is usually cheaper in round bale form. I recently bought a hay spear that fits both my tractor and my skid steer, basically a long pointed spear to stab and lift a heavy round bale. I don't have good storage yet for round bales but hope to put up another building soon. You can stack round bales 3-4 levels high in the dry and they will keep all year. If you can't keep it dry while feeding, it can degrade quickly and be unsuitable for horses, although it will usually still be OK for cattle.

I have a "hay hut" made to hold one round bale off the ground and kept dry with a roof overhead. This is our first experiment with a round bale in the hay hut. Three horses consumed the $50 bale in 10 days, a about a $75 savings over feeding equivalent square bales for 10 days. The horses clean up every tiny bit, even reaching under the curved steel supports that hold the round bale off the ground.

To keep the surrounding ground from turning into a horribly muddy mess in the winter I used a time-honored method - I removed 6-8" of soil from a 20x20' square, put down a layer of heavy geotextile fiber mat, then filled the hole with crusher-run gravel. Not a bit of mud since. I also did this around the horse shelter, the automatic livestock waterer, and other areas that get heavy use. 1000lb horses can quickly churn up the ground! Before this treatment, it was common to walk in 6" or more of mud. Beside a friend's barn it got so bad the cows had mud to their bellies and his wife got stuck and had to be pulled out. After the fix, that area is as hard as pavement. (The US Dept of Agriculture requires this method for HUAs, high use areas, when distributing conservation grants)

hay_round_bale.jpg

Hay fires are a real problem and entirely due to incompetence, inexperience, impatience, bad luck, or just plain lack of intelligence. Many barns have burned to the ground and many animals (and some people) have died - some animals tend to run into their "safe place" in the barn when they sense danger. I know a guy who lost his horse and most of his goats (and the entire barn) from a fire. Fortunately, he had a lot of friends and co-workers so a couple of us organized an old-fashioned barn raising - built a new barn for him in two days!

Hay fires are easily prevented - never, ever stack damp hay. One wet bale may get hot inside but when packed tight with others it's a fire waiting to happen. Hay that is improperly dried will generate heat inside and can spontaneously combust. When cutting and baling you HAVE to keep an experienced eye on the weather and know how to tedder properly (stir up the loose hay on the ground) so it can dry before baling. This is the same for both round and square bales. If hit with an unexpected rain during the drying, you can just tedder again and again as long as the weather eventually cooperates. If it rains on dry bales of hay either while in the field or stacked on a trailer, they may or may not be ruined, depending.

Note that even the best hay will contain some moisture - too much moisture is the problem. Even if there is not enough moisture to generate heat, a little too much moisture with no ventilation can lead to mold which can be toxic to livestock.

Hay that is stored improperly can also be a problem. For example, stack hay on pallets then cover tightly with a tarp. Moisture from the ground can get into the hay and cause the same problems. There is a way to do it right if you know how. Best way to store is in a large open shed, well protected from direct and blowing rain. Lots of ventilation.

I use an 8x8x40' aluminum shipping container to store most of the hay I need for the winter. Closing up any container tightly can be a problem so I modified it - I designed rain-shielded vents for around the bottom and installed rotating vents on the roof. I also stack the hay with some air space between the stacks and next to the walls. No problems in nearly 20 years now.

building_hay.jpg
shipping_container_B_IMG_20.jpg

I once bought 40 square bales from a guy and he was proud of how heavy they were, a great value he said. I put them in my storage then on a whim put thermocouple probes down into the middle of a couple of bales. I watched the temperature rise inside until at 160-degF I pulled them all out and threw them into my compost. The seller wouldn't believe they were bad and refused to refund the money. Oh well, he will suffer in the long run by being such a person!

Compost piles also can get very hot inside due to the moisture. I keep three large compost piles in various stages of composting, mixing fresh manure and plant matter with soil for the first pile, then move the piles toward the end of the line over a year until the last one is ready to spread on the garden - rich, wonderful, natural fertilizer. When I turning the piles over occasionally (they need air as well as moisture to compost properly), I often see ashes and smoke from the heat inside!

More, I'm sure than any normal person want's to know about wet hay! I'm certainly no expert, just have a bit of experience.
Maybe I'll write a song about this...

Since our farm makes no profit a good question is why bother with all this. Some reasons:

Annual farm day for one of my kindergarten SS classes.
FarmDay2017_IMG_20170617_113107_141.jpg
What do you do with a blind horse? You pet it a lot.
Olivia_tinyhug_IMG_4585_s.jpg
Yes, the old guy rides. Miles of trails here.
Share the blessing.
horseback.jpg
This was the first time this blind, severely autistic
and communication challenged little girl ever
touched or smelled a horse. She was in love!
Horse_Chris_IMG_20150523_11.jpg
How many kids never get to ride a mini donkey?
If you fall off you're only 2' from the ground.
animals_picinic_IMG_2016062.jpg
🎵 "Teach... your children well..."
llama_feed.jpg
Group from a local assisted living home.
It's good to get outside on a nice day!
Morning_Pointe_2012-09-27_1.jpg

Sorry, I got carried away, didn't intend to write a blog. But I have all these thousands of photos...

JKJ

I normally use square bales, about 50 lbs each, since I can (normally) handle them easily. A round bale needs power equipment for handling. However, the hay is usually cheaper in round bale form. I recently bought a hay spear that fits both my tractor and my skid steer, basically a long pointed spear to stab and lift a heavy round bale. I don't have good storage yet for round bales but hope to put up another building soon. You can stack round bales 3-4 levels high in the dry and they will keep all year. If you can't keep it dry while feeding, it can degrade quickly and be unsuitable for horses, although it will usually still be OK for cattle.

I have a "hay hut" made to hold one round bale off the ground and kept dry with a roof overhead. This is our first experiment with a round bale in the hay hut. Three horses consumed the $50 bale in 10 days, a about a $75 savings over feeding equivalent square bales for 10 days. The horses clean up every tiny bit, even reaching under the curved steel supports that hold the round bale off the ground.

To keep the surrounding ground from turning into a horribly muddy mess in the winter I used a time-honored method - I removed 6-8" of soil from a 20x20' square, put down a layer of heavy geotextile fiber mat, then filled the hole with crusher-run gravel. Not a bit of mud since. I also did this around the horse shelter, the automatic livestock waterer, and other areas that get heavy use. 1000lb horses can quickly churn up the ground! Before this treatment, it was common to walk in 6" or more of mud. Beside a friend's barn it got so bad the cows had mud to their bellies and his wife got stuck and had to be pulled out. After the fix, that area is as hard as pavement. (The US Dept of Agriculture requires this method for HUAs, high use areas, when distributing conservation grants)

hay_round_bale.jpg

Hay fires are a real problem and entirely due to incompetence, inexperience, impatience, bad luck, or just plain lack of intelligence. Many barns have burned to the ground and many animals (and some people) have died - some animals tend to run into their "safe place" in the barn when they sense danger. I know a guy who lost his horse and most of his goats (and the entire barn) from a fire. Fortunately, he had a lot of friends and co-workers so a couple of us organized an old-fashioned barn raising - built a new barn for him in two days!

Hay fires are easily prevented - never, ever stack damp hay. One wet bale may get hot inside but when packed tight with others it's a fire waiting to happen. Hay that is improperly dried will generate heat inside and can spontaneously combust. When cutting and baling you HAVE to keep an experienced eye on the weather and know how to tedder properly (stir up the loose hay on the ground) so it can dry before baling. This is the same for both round and square bales. If hit with an unexpected rain during the drying, you can just tedder again and again as long as the weather eventually cooperates. If it rains on dry bales of hay either while in the field or stacked on a trailer, they may or may not be ruined, depending.

Note that even the best hay will contain some moisture - too much moisture is the problem. Even if there is not enough moisture to generate heat, a little too much moisture with no ventilation can lead to mold which can be toxic to livestock.

Hay that is stored improperly can also be a problem. For example, stack hay on pallets then cover tightly with a tarp. Moisture from the ground can get into the hay and cause the same problems. There is a way to do it right if you know how. Best way to store is in a large open shed, well protected from direct and blowing rain. Lots of ventilation.

I use an 8x8x40' aluminum shipping container to store most of the hay I need for the winter. Closing up any container tightly can be a problem so I modified it - I designed rain-shielded vents for around the bottom and installed rotating vents on the roof. I also stack the hay with some air space between the stacks and next to the walls. No problems in nearly 20 years now.

building_hay.jpg

I once bought 40 square bales from a guy and he was proud of how heavy they were, a great value he said. I put them in my storage then on a whim put thermocouple probes down into the middle of a couple of bales. I watched the temperature rise inside until at 160-degF I pulled them all out and threw them into my compost. The seller wouldn't believe they were bad and refused to refund the money. Oh well, he will suffer in the long run by being such a person!

Compost piles also can get very hot inside due to the moisture. I keep three large compost piles in various stages of composting, mixing fresh manure and plant matter with soil for the first pile, then move the piles toward the end of the line over a year until the last one is ready to spread on the garden - rich, wonderful, natural fertilizer. When I turning the piles over occasionally (they need air as well as moisture to compost properly), I often see ashes and smoke from the heat inside!

More, I'm sure than any normal person want's to know about wet hay! I'm certainly no expert, just have a bit of experience.

Since our farm makes no profit a good question is why bother with all this. Some reasons:

Share the blessing.
horseback.jpg
llama_feed.jpg

Sorry, I got carried away, didn't intend to write a blog. But I have all these thousands of photos...

JKJ
Thanks so much for all the good detail. Farming is is tough. A farmer is is forced to be a gambler with so many unknowns -- especially the weather. Also, when he has a good year, every one does and the price of the crop is down. When there is a bad year, the crop price is up, but he doesn't have much to sell.

hay_round_bale.jpg

building_hay.jpg

Share the blessing.
horseback.jpg
llama_feed.jpg

JKJ
Cool post, thanks! It’s amazing how big those 50 lb square bales seem when loading the 100 degree hayloft…. Worse than standing 2 hours with a full sized accordion….

Flight of the Bumblebee
Nimble fingers for sure.

William Tell Overture

Star Wars

Zelda Medley

JKJ
Forget the humor, the quality of their playing is phenomenal! From the arranging of the song to the breathing just fabulous

Since I still can't lift and work the accordion bellows with my post-surgery shoulder, I've been playing the melodica more than ever. It's amazing how you can change and control the sound with breath control. On my best melodica (with good tapered reeds) I can also get good 4-7 note chords (using the left hand to assist, something I never even considered until seeing a video someone posted.

Two-handed, breath control, and other great techniques are in this video, a real eye-opener and game-changer for me. I'm no expert, but I try to incorporate some of these into my playing as I learn:

JKJ

Back