• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Vintage Scandalli 678/24 with cracked keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I picked up a Scandalli (not sure of the model) so if someone can help with that too. It’s vintage I think from the 1950s? A few keys are cracked. How does this affect the value and how much would it be to replace/fix them? Is it worth the increase In value? Here’s a few pictures. It keeps saying pics were too big that’s why it’s cropped funny. Any help please 3F8C63F7-DE51-440A-BB8E-7FD4BF22E3CC.jpeg7E36C57D-98FD-4629-95AE-37C481411F16.jpeg

I think we see this kind of thing more often than anything else... :)
People think that old accordions have some inherent value. Well, they do... its just that the number is *almost* always very low and the cost to repair more often than not exceeds the value of the accordion after being done.

What we see here in your picture is ONLY cosmetic. The real testament of value or cost to repair is what is inside, the quality/condition of the reeds, the condition of the valves, bellows, etc.

That said, Scandalli is a good and well known name and if given to a professional for some serious TLC may have an owner out there that is willing to pay it's sentimental value as opposed to it's true market value. One never knows. :)

I think we see this kind of thing more often than anything else... :)
People think that old accordions have some inherent value. Well, they do... its just that the number is *almost* always very low and the cost to repair more often than not exceeds the value of the accordion after being done.

What we see here in your picture is ONLY cosmetic. The real testament of value or cost to repair is what is inside, the quality/condition of the reeds, the condition of the valves, bellows, etc.

That said, Scandalli is a good and well known name and if given to a professional for some serious TLC may have an owner out there that is willing to pay it's sentimental value as opposed to it's true market value. One never knows. :)
cosmetic is what I wanted to hear. The inside Is in good condition. I just listed for sale on auction for one week about 4 hours ago and it’s already at $650. Do you know the model of this particular one?

These 1950 era egg crate grill Scandalli models were to start with mediocre quality student models. They had proprierary designed
plasic treble keys that ceased to be availible for replacement a half century ago. The plasic parts in these models with age & sunlight
exposure are doomed to shrink & become brittle. The quality of these student models are in no way equal to Pro model Scandalli's.
Sorry to bust your bubble on this one.

Last edited:
These 1950 era egg crate grill Scandalli models were to start with mediocre quality student models. They had proprierary designed
plasic treble keys that ceased to be availible for replacement a half century ago. The plasic parts in these models with age & sunlight
exposure are doomed to shrink & become brittle. The quality of these student models are in no way equal to Pro model Scandalli's.
Sorry to bust your bubble on this one.
You’re not bursting my bubble I bought it for resale. It’s at auction and I’ve already x4 my money on it. I just wanted to know if I could replace the keys or how it would affect the value. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back