• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

"Valtaro" Music anyone?

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Valtaro" or "Valtaro Musette" music is considered one of the few accordion music styles "invented" in the USA (see also Zydeco, Cleveland Style Polka, etc.).

Urban legend has it that the Valtaro style was born of Italian accordion players who came to New York City in the early 1930s from the Parma region in northern Italy (Emilia Romagna), most notably Gianod (John) Brugnoli and his friend Pietro (Peter) DelGrosso.

Parma at the time was full of accordion centered dance hall bands playing popular tunes, waltzes, polkas, etc. in the "ballo liscio" style.

Brugnoli, DelGrosso et al. developed a two accordion style based on their old country repertoire, popular tunes, jazz, latin etc. They called their style "Valtaro" because they came from the "Val di Taro" (Valley of the Taro River) and started a club called Val-Taro.

The music relies on one accordion playing the melody and a rock steady dance rhythm while the other plays fancy fills, variations, runs, etc. Obviously they switch off and maybe both play the same parts too.

Their theme song was "Tutti mi Chiamano Bionda (Everyone Calls me Blondie)," a popular Italian vocal tune.

Here you can see two second-generation Valtaro musicians talking about and demonstrating the style:

Last edited:
Wow, what a great story! Thanks Tom!

I live in Parma, I've been in Borgotaro (Borgo Val di Taro) many times and I've never heard anything about "Valtaro Musette". It's an unknown story here, in Italy.

(A little mistake: Castellina was born in Brisighella - Ravenna, not Parma. Famous accordionists from Parma were Gigi Stock, Nando Monica, Mario Barigazzi (Barimar), Iller Pataccini and many others)

Reactions: Tom
What a wonderful programme.
The Golden Age of the Accordion-ist lives on

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I watched a few minutes, but I'm at work (shhhh...) and I'll be sure to watch the rest when I get home.

Wow, what a great story! Thanks Tom!

I live in Parma, I've been in Borgotaro (Borgo Val di Taro) many times and I've never heard anything about "Valtaro Musette". It's an unknown story here, in Italy.

(A little mistake: Castellina was born in Brisighella - Ravenna, not Parma. Famous accordionists from Parma were Gigi Stock, Nando Monica, Mario Barigazzi (Barimar), Iller Pataccini and many others)
Thanks for the update, Lucio! A poor assumption on my part, as there seem to be several "Castellinas" in Italy. I'll edit the post....

TOM
Thanks for the info, and for sharing.
Great video, and waht a fine show of mucisianship.
Two real meastro's.
Nice melodic, enjoyable music.
I lived in Parma for a while as well----Parma, Ohio (near Cleveland) ha, ha
Take care.
CHICKERS

....and I'm still looking for the Valtaro "repertoire," aside from "Tutti mi chiamono." Apart from making a list of songs on the albums available on youtube, is there a list anywhere of the Valtaro "top twenty"? Maybe the songs of Beppe Junior? Ventura?

Ok, I have to answer my own question. I never found an actual list but put together a list of tunes from albums associated with the "Valtaro Musette Orchestra," etc. Many of these tunes are familiar. I don't know if this list would be considered "top 20" or even resemble a representative set list from a night of song and dance.

According to Peter Spagnoli, when asked how many songs he could play in Voltaro style, "Oh, I dunno. Maybe 1,000."

("Valtaro Musette," M. Jacobson)

So, less than 1,000 titles here, but here you go. Please let us know if you have better info......

Pellegrin Che Vien Da Roma
Te Lo DettoTante Volte
Moretto Moretto
Spazza-Camino*
La FurlanaTrecce Bionde
O Mia Carina
Dammi Picchia La Porticella
Bionda Bella Bionda*
Il Merlo
Il' Luminazione
Vicino Alla Marina
Sul Ponte Di Bassano*
Vorrei Volare
Il Vecchio Alpino
Fortuna Con Le Donne
Le Giberne
O Vaga Fanciulla*
La Bionda E La Mora*
Morettino Mio
Quel Macchinone
Nel Mio Piu Bel Giardino
Andermo Sull' Alte Montagne*
Cara Angiolina
La Serva E La Padrona*
Cara Clorinda Me Mari L'ebon
La Violetta
Castel Di Udine
Il Mugnaio*
Bell' Alpino
Il Cacciatore*
Il Capitano
Le Galline Tutte Matte
Valtaro Piva
La Romanina*
Fiorin Fiorello
Il Sirio
Piemontesina*
Sul Monte Sabatino
Il Paradiso In Vacanza
Chiesetta Alpina
La Bella Addormentata
L'Uccelin*
Parto Per L'America
I Vecchi Emigrati
Regina
Dolce Amore
Aria Triestina
Gentile
La Pastorella
Amor Di Primavera
Verita
Spazza Camino*
Polka Del Grillo
Stella Lucente
Mazurka Dei Marinari
Elx Pastiador
Vieni Amor Mio
Mare Sereno
Il Merlo
Allegria
Dolce Bimba
Campagna
Gallare
Cuore Che Soffre
Allenza
Vaga Fanciulla
Cosi Cha Cha
Benevolenza
Polka Individuale
Valtzer Del Sabato
Quel Mazzolin Di Fiori*
Da Milan Fino A Torino
Il Bersagliere*
Alfredo
Il Mio Galletto*
Addio Bella Addio
L'Umbriacone
Bacicin
La Cameriera
Aveva Gl'occhi Neri
Sta Campagnolla
Le Stelle Alpine*
Cheese Cake Polka
Festivita Valzer
Vecchie Memorie
Rosalinda*
Pik Pak Polka
Giorgio E Catina
Polka Valtarese
Serenita Valzer
Amore E Baci
Un Ballo Di Sera
C'era Una Volta*
Bella E Giovane
E Arrivata La Carmelina
Oi Bella Se Vuoi Venire
Quando Mi Bacia Teresa
La Figlia
Tutti Mi Chiamano Bionda*
Per Un Bacio D'Amor
Sta Fermo Col Man
Caserio
Sbarazzina
Il Militare Da Un Colpo E Poi Va Via
Quel Fazzolettino*
La Bora Di Trieste
A mezzanotte
Mia piccola rosa
'A Luciana
Malinconico autunno
Serenata malandrina
Dove sta Zaza?
Passa la ronda
Qui fu Napoli
Miniera
Gay time polka
Happy dreamers waltz
Ability
The red parrot
Tinsmith
Capricious blonde
Holiday in Venice
Hunter's waltz
Sunrise
Bon voyage
Spring in Florence
When you're gone.
'O vascio
Il sirio
Erminia
Fantasia
Voglio andare in maschera
Sul ponte di Bassano*
Piemontesina
Me mari' l'e bon
La campagnola*
I bersaglieri*
Eulalia torricelli
Chiesetta alpina*
La mia mamma mi diceva*
Andiamo in gondola
La corriera della domenica
In brianza.
Bartender Serenade
True love waltz
The real McCoy polka
Cerabina
Live, love and laugh
Josephine Polka
Mariucia bella
Zingarella*
Allegro waltz
Alpine waltz*

*Tune titles I recognize.

Well done! Some of these tunes are very "classic". As you know they are popular tunes rearranged in Valtaro Style. By the way, do you know that some of these tunes have a "double meaning"? Some sexual implicit references? The first on the list is "Spazzacamino" Chimney sweep:geek:

Last edited:
Thanks Ric! Yes, I have noticed that in a lot of this type of tunes, like Mamma mi Diceva. Gives the singer an opportunity to improvise his/her own verses, which I suspect is/was pretty common. "Non sposare il fisarmonicista, ti stringerĂ  tutta la notte!" (Non so in Siciliano đŸ¤£).

Back