• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Tuning Dry to Mussette ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnniez

HI
I have an Excelsior Accordiana model, that is quite a dry tuning. Very dry. And I do enjoy the sound that comes out of it.

Have a Titano that is dry but not as dry as the excelsior.

I would if possible have the Titano tuned more to musette Scottish type of sound.. it has 5 registers on treble side but 2 are doubles so its basically 3 registers counting the master. 2 registers on the bass side. So with this set up would this possible..?? The registers have a dot in the middle and a dot on the bottom. then the master.

What type of price would I be looking at roughly to have it done in a shop? Just an estimate..

So if it IS possible.. Where is there a reputable tuner in Ontario Canada in the Hamilton Toronto Niagara area.. If I have to go further I will.. I don't have a clue who to go to for this. I will NOT just pic a shop that sells accordions. Unless I am convinced on someones recommendation.

thanks
Johnnie

If 3 reed, it is probably LMM but you need to determine if its LMM, MMM or LMH. It's not possible get a Scottish musette from LMH reeds, whilst MMM you can for certain.
True Scot musette (arguably) will come from 3 middle reeds, but a quite satisfying musette can come from (L)MM. It may be that tuning one set of the Middle reeds sharper will give you a more pronounced vibrato - and that could be done here UK for c£100, (c$150). A more specific approach to the sound you require would poss need both sets of middle reeds retuned which could cost maybe twice that.

Your Titano has only 2 sets of treble reeds (1) L and (1) M. It is not candidate for conversion. You would need an accordion with 3 sets of treble reeds to obtain the sound you seek.

Thanks guys

Jim.. The Hohner Atlantic I am working on.. Would that have a sound similar to what I am looking for. Its not imperative, would be nice tho.

Once I get that going I think I will sell either the Titano or Excelsior.. Not sure which one tho. They are quite similar. Titano tho is 'mint' and I mean mint.. no droops on the leather valves etc.. works just tickety boo. so not sure which way to go..

Johnnie

The Hohner's are always tuned more Wet that an Italian box.

Here, after 28 seconds he changes to MM and you get an idea of what yours will (should) sound like as he is playing same model LMMH as yours:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=ACE98D977F3343D0C5B4ACE98D977F3343D0C5B4
There are plenty of other examples on you tube to peruse, too - just check that the couplers are the same so you know what youre listing to. Musette Atlantics have master 3dots + I below, LMMM - yours 1top,2middle,1 bottom - ie LMMH.

When I bought my 72 bass Pigini, it was dry tuned. I didn't like it at all and had it retuned to wet tuning. I read somewhere that dry tuning is mostly for Morris dancing which is what this accordion was used for. Though I also read somewhere that dry tuning is better for jazz players.

HI
I have an Excelsior Accordiana model, that is quite a dry tuning. Very dry. And I do enjoy the sound that comes out of it.

Have a Titano that is dry but not as dry as the excelsior.

I would if possible have the Titano tuned more to musette Scottish type of sound.. it has 5 registers on treble side but 2 are doubles so its basically 3 registers counting the master. 2 registers on the bass side. So with this set up would this possible..?? The registers have a dot in the middle and a dot on the bottom. then the master.

What type of price would I be looking at roughly to have it done in a shop? Just an estimate..

So if it IS possible.. Where is there a reputable tuner in Ontario Canada in the Hamilton Toronto Niagara area.. If I have to go further I will.. I don't have a clue who to go to for this. I will NOT just pic a shop that sells accordions. Unless I am convinced on someones recommendation.

thanks
Johnnie
Hi Johnnie,
I know that this is an old post however you might want to reach out to Anderson's Accordion in Burlington Ontario he is reputable and does/did tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back