• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Trade-in activity at accordion shops

Do the accordion stores provide trade-in service?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know/I am not sure

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

People have different opinions regarding this question. Some group says, that accordion shops provide trade-in service, or, in other words, exchange accordions, but another group has the opposite opinions, or they are not sure about it. I would like to see in the way of voting, what people think about it.

Depends entirely on your store manager's policy!?
Some will, some won't. The ones hereabouts do!?
Some will allow you to rent an accordion by the week and give you full credit of the rental against the purchase price ( used items only) if you eventually go ahead with the sale!?
It may also depend on the sales appeal of your trade-in?

Last edited:
It depends on the store: some will do a trade-in (for a discount on a new or newer accordion), some won't but offer to sell your old accordion for you, and some won't do any form of trade-in.
From what I have seen around here you are often (financially) better off selling your accordion privately (and locally) and buying from a store with reasonable prices without the funny/shady business of pretending to give you a really good trade-in value but at the same time charging way too much for the new(er) accordion. My experience is that in a store with trade-in you pay about the same for a new accordion as in a store without trade-in, but the difference is that the trade-in store gets your old accordion and the non-trade-in store just lets you keep your old accordion while making you pay the same amount... sounds like an easy choice to me!

And you always get that sales chat "cant offer you more as i gave to pay tax when i sell the accordion on...." so i can offer you a bag of salted peanuts for it if you let me kiss your wife too..... ?

Trade-in helps you keep that promise "one in, one out!" (Whoever you made that promise to! :unsure: )

A shop needs cash flow/profit, money is leaking away minute by minute in their fixed costs.

You might get a better deal by selling privately. For certainty sell one before you buy the other! (How righteous is that!)

When trading in one used motorbike for another at dealers I've found "how much to change?" feels a better and clearer way to a deal than agreeing a buy price and a trade-in value.

I never really worry and just consider how long I've had the instrument... What's the financial loss.... And is that figure a fair rental price for the time I've enjoyed it... It always is so always an easy deal done

Another option (which seems to be a common approach at the two shops nearest me) is to sell on consignment. That way, you get to set your price, you benefit from greater exposure to prospective buyers, and you will likely sell more quickly and fetch a higher overall sales price.

...But, as we engineers are taught to observe: there is always a trade off. In this case, the compromise is that the shop typically keeps about 30% of the final sales price!

It depends on the store: some will do a trade-in (for a discount on a new or newer accordion), some won't but offer to sell your old accordion for you, and some won't do any form of trade-in.
From what I have seen around here you are often (financially) better off selling your accordion privately (and locally) and buying from a store with reasonable prices without the funny/shady business of pretending to give you a really good trade-in value but at the same time charging way too much for the new(er) accordion. My experience is that in a store with trade-in you pay about the same for a new accordion as in a store without trade-in, but the difference is that the trade-in store gets your old accordion and the non-trade-in store just lets you keep your old accordion while making you pay the same amount... sounds like an easy choice to me!
Does this activity is suitable for used accordions, to exchange one to another?

Jerry,
Short answer, yes: just like for used cars!?
But, not all may do it: depends on the store: ask! ?

Yes they do but at a price very favourable to them. If you sell an accordion privately, neither seller not buyer has to make a profit.
Dealers have to make a profit, 30% to 50%, to cover shop costs and make a living

In the UK, 30% seems usual on an instrument sold in a shop on the owner's behalf.
On that basis, on my last trade-in I would have received £300 more or in % term, 60% of trade-in value I accepted.
And it sold within ten days of the deal.
Two thoughts:
I don't feel that was a reasonable trade.
and
One-in-one-out can do a lot for a marriage.
Oh, and I shan't be going back there any time soon.

Yes they do but at a price very favourable to them. If you sell an accordion privately, neither seller not buyer has to make a profit.
Dealers have to make a profit, 30% to 50%, to cover shop costs and make a living
Yeah I know, I just want to back my current accordion, that I purchased at the same store on another accordion and just to pay the rest of price for the another accordion

I think that should be possible at 30% loss on what you paid for your existing accordion but no discount on the price of the one you are buying, in my experience.
Assuming yours is in as good a condition as when you bought it

I think that should be possible at 30% loss on what you paid for your existing accordion but no discount on the price of the one you are buying, in my experience.
Assuming yours is in as good a condition as when you bought it
If honest, they sold me my existing accordion in not good shape. It had and still has air leaking problems, sound on basson switch is not good, it sounds with delays, etc. I had repair by warranty, but it was a temporary improvement that was 3-4 months and all issues backed again. Moreover, left arm strap broke down a couple days ago.

Last edited:
I have a hard time parting with an accordion so I would never do a trade in. I’d always live in regret of letting it go. On the other hand I probably own too many.

I have a hard time parting with an accordion so I would never do a trade in. I’d always live in regret of letting it go. On the other hand I probably own too many.
I too have a hard time parting with an accordion, but the reality has been that I really needed to sell some to make room for new ones. My house would be too small had I kept all of them... But the ones I have sold were all done through a private sale to people who at least vaguely know who I am (or get a referral).

If honest, they sold me my existing accordion in not good shape. It had and still has air leaking problems, sound on basson switch is not good, it sounds with delays, etc. I had repair by warranty, but it was a temporary improvement that was 3-4 months and all issues backed again. Moreover, left arm strap broke down a couple days ago.
These are all mechanical faults which you can fix with help from someone with some experience. Sounds like a well used accordion which you should not have paid much for.

These are all mechanical faults which you can fix with help from someone with some experience. Sounds like a well used accordion which you should not have paid much for.
For this accordion, I spent 600 CAD. I will exchange on another accordion, a little bit expensive, but in good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back