• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

This accordion fascinates me for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Knobby's post, there does seem to be a difference in the number of grill holes: 6 above, 7 below.
But, the picture above seems to have a difference between left and right: 7 on the left and 6 on the right.
I think it could be entirely due to the angle of the shot?

Last edited:
On my screen there are a series of 6 pictures at the head of this thread. Pictures 1 and 5 contain a different accordion to that in the other 4 pictures.
The most striking difference (but not the only one) is in the square holes cut in the grille.
If we compare it to a crossword, ie. rows as horizontal and columns as vertical its very plain that one accordion has 6 holes in its columns and the other has 7. For those struggling to see this it would be a simple matter to blow up the image and number the holes.
Looks like a side-effect of the angle of view. All images look to be of the same accordion to me.
But it does not look like any Crucianelli I have seen before.

then i ran across this one, which made me think twice

note the keys on the ends have a slight offset, but are straight as are the keybed sides

this is not in the style of the factory, and is similar to the style
of an Excelsior, which carried the offset/notched keys over from New York
to some degree for many decades, and is kind of a clue to tell the
Pigini from the Cemex

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 5
I must admit a bit of doubt on my earlier views (after seeking more information on this unusual accordion).
I now learn they were made exclusively for S.Forbes of Dundee, Scotland, who was a large retailer for many years.
Their principal salesman was Jimmy Shand. The model was the 34PNS, produced approx. mid to late 60's.

Happy Girl :

well i tried to research accordion availability in Scotland, but
it is difficult finding what is "in stock" and just a listing of
accordions they could order for you maybe and the prices were all
over the charts, but i did spot this one, that might be a good buy

i think it is an in stock item

they also list two (apparently) order only models, but that is not
advisable as it does appear Borsini is in liquidatione' status currently
(i was also researching business listings and current status and
shipping records etc. on several other brands and factories...
Fantini, Polverini, and Borsini keep popping up as being in trouble)

Borsini made some damn fine accordions, they used better quality reeds
and finished them nicely, and their Keyactions were smoooooooth as butter...
my friend in the Md. Acc. club has a nice one with the old style squared tip keys
and it is one of the best playing Boxes in the club

Last edited:
Ventura
Many thanks for your consideration, trouble is, I live nowhere near Scotland. my territory is the middle of England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back