• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

There's simply something about steam...šŸ™‚

Wow, thatā€™s some serious fire there Dingo! Seems like a good way to start a fire by the tracks if theyā€™re not careful.

I love steam engines and the look and sound of locomotives. Thereā€™s one in operation near here due to itā€™s popularity with tourists. But Iā€™m not as big a fan of the clouds of coal smoke.

There is an abandoned railroad tunnel near here, about 1/2 mile long with the tracks removed so you can drive or walk through. Good fun, especially since the tunnel leads only to a good swimming hole!

What always caught my attention was the huge carbon buildup from the burning coal on the brick the above the entrance and exit and all the way through the tunnel.

Not to sideline the post with an environmental rant, but the increased awareness of putting combustion products in the air is concerning. I donā€™ā€™t have a solution or know if burning coal is better or worse that burning wood, or producing and burning gasoline, diesel fuel, fuel oil, or even alcohol - our way of life would cease without burning these fuels but I know of no current practical alternative. Maybe someday wind, wave, solar, safe nuclear fusion, and even geothermal energy will become practical and cost effective. (I use a small amount of geothermal energy here on the farm, and a huge amount of electricity produced by burning coal.)

JKJ

I love steam engines and the look and sound of locomotives. Thereā€™s one in operation near here due to itā€™s popularity with tourists. But Iā€™m not as big a fan of the clouds of coal smoke.

There is an abandoned railroad tunnel near here, about 1/2 mile long with the tracks removed so you can drive or walk through. Good fun, especially since the tunnel leads only to a good swimming hole!

What always caught my attention was the huge carbon buildup from the burning coal on the brick the above the entrance and exit and all the way through the tunnel.

Not to sideline the post with an environmental rant,
Why do it then?
but the increased awareness of putting combustion products in the air is concerning. I donā€™ā€™t have a solution or know if burning coal is better or worse that burning wood, or producing and burning gasoline, diesel fuel, fuel oil, or even alcohol - our way of life would cease without burning these fuels but I know of no current practical alternative. Maybe someday wind, wave, solar, safe nuclear fusion, and even geothermal energy will become practical and cost effective. (I use a small amount of geothermal energy here on the farm, and a huge amount of electricity produced by burning coal.)
Well, you equate "practical" with "cheap", and the low price is because the followup costs are not factored into it. The solution, of course, is to factor in the followup costs. Which is unpopular since people would rather have the younger people pay the price for the convenience of the older ones. Which to a certain degree is understandable and also is the basis for our pension systems.

TLDR: not a topic that makes sense discussing here since it will only lead to disagreement and bad blood over things not even related to accordions.

ā€¦you equate "practical" with "cheap"ā€¦
TLDR: not a topic that makes sense discussing here since it will only lead to disagreement and bad blood over things not even related to accordions.

Too me, practical implies cost effectiveness but unfortunately to date, lowering energy cost is not yet practical.

I donā€™t know what TLDR means but I see that this is in the PUB sub forum.
ā€œThe Pub: Any non accordion related chat and banter in here, but try and avoid religion and politics!ā€ To me, talk about the environment is neither religious nor political, but concerns life and health. Others may consider life and health political or religious but I donā€™t know why.

I think geothermal is the most hopeful long term solution. I use free geothermal energy to heat livestock water on my farm but unfortunately, I canā€™t afford to convert the house. Iā€™d consider it if I built a new house.

Too me, practical implies cost effectiveness but unfortunately to date, lowering energy cost is not yet practical.

I donā€™t know what TLDR means but I see that this is in the PUB sub forum.
ā€œThe Pub: Any non accordion related chat and banter in here, but try and avoid religion and politics!ā€ To me, talk about the environment is neither religious nor political, but concerns life and health. Others may consider life and health political or religious but I donā€™t know why.

I think geothermal is the most hopeful long term solution. I use free geothermal energy to heat livestock water on my farm but unfortunately, I canā€™t afford to convert the house. Iā€™d consider it if I built a new house.
Yeah, itā€™s a battle when you live somewhere cold. I designed my current house for maximum energy efficiency which means I donā€™t need any cooling but I do burn wood which is cheap but not the optimum ecologically wise. I could see installing a heat pump and maybe some limited solar. Too late for geothermal. Good luck!

I designed my current house for maximum energy efficiency which means I donā€™t need any cooling but I do burn wood which is cheapā€¦. I could see installing a heat pumpā€¦ maybe some limited solar

Good for you - smart! This timber frame house is not especially energy efficient and although it came with an efficient Vermont Castings wood stove, we use heat pumps to heat and cool the house and shop. If I didnā€™t need all our pasture space for livestock Iā€™d look into installing a small solar farm in one field near the house.

But if anyone within hauling distance relies on firewood to keep warm, just come visit with a chainsaw and a truck/trailer. I can load logs or chunks with the excavator so thereā€™s no lifting involved. (One good friend has hauled off many tons - she cuts, splits and delivers free firewood to those she calls her ā€œclientsā€, people who have no other heating options, mostly low-income elderly and some disabled people.)

Good for you - smart! This timber frame house is not especially energy efficient and although it came with an efficient Vermont Castings wood stove, we use heat pumps to heat and cool the house and shop. If I didnā€™t need all our pasture space for livestock Iā€™d look into installing a small solar farm in one field near the house.

But if anyone within hauling distance relies on firewood to keep warm, just come visit with a chainsaw and a truck/trailer. I can load logs or chunks with the excavator so thereā€™s no lifting involved. (One good friend has hauled off many tons - she cuts, splits and delivers free firewood to those she calls her ā€œclientsā€, people who have no other heating options, mostly low-income elderly and some disabled people.)
A little far for me, but thanks! We could play a few tunes and sit around the shop swapping lies. This is generally the time I split wood, but weā€™re having a lot of rain. Thatā€™s really nice of your friend.

If I didnā€™t need all our pasture space for livestock Iā€™d look into installing a small solar farm in one field near the house.
there are outside the box solar solutions when space is an issue..

like floating solar panels on your pond

solar overhang over your Compost trench

high post solar over your carport/tractor parking area
(this is what several campus' locally have done over student parking areas)

and while Solar is nice at a power level to connect to Mains, it
can also be very useful simply in 12 volt form.. recycling batteries
before they need replaced into Solar trickle charged setups that
provide motion sensor lighting around remote parts of the farm,
power gates, sensor noise maker "scarecrows" at the far end of the Cornfield

and you can do more with fewer panels if you have angle supports that you
can rachet the angle up or down one notch every day

Having flashbacks looking at those coal trains, as a retired steam plant mechanic (power plant) of fairly large size 1400 megawatts, Iā€™m so grateful to still have my digits, two new hips, and love of life and music. If you ever had to rebuild pulverizers, giant machines that grind coal to dust, a total of 16, your take away is hot, dirty, loud, heavy, dirty, dusty, hard, did I mention dirty? one of my least favorites, working from heights. Work is way over rated! Playing music, if only for myself and gardening, life is so good now.šŸŽ¶

..,high post solar over your carport/tractor parking area
(this is what several campus' locally have done over student parking areas)

and while Solar is nice at a power level to connect to Mains, it
can also be very useful simply in 12 volt form..

Thanks, no pond here but I didnā€™t even think of putting panels on an equipment storage area - sounds like a no-brainer now that youā€™ve provided the idea!

I plan to put up an equipment ā€œshedā€ this year, about 1000ā€™ from the house. I leveled and graveled the spot about a 10 years ago and itā€™s big enough for a 30x80ā€™ building, mostly open bays on one long end and the other three sides walled. I've already run underground power and water to the site but that roof would be perfect for solar panels for charging, emergency lights, etc., maybe even some supplemental ac power.

(I need the space to get all the equipment out of the weather plus room for hay storage, tools, maintenance, welding, air compressor and bigger diesel fuel tank. I built a 24x30 shop near my barn with all that but no room inside for the excavator, big mowers, and such.)

I know one guy who keeps all his equipment batteries topped off with just a couple of solar panels on his shed roof.

I plan to put up an equipment ā€œshedā€ this year, about 1000ā€™ from the house
FWIW, since you have many animals, I have heard villages in India run heating and cooking on methane gas generated from animal manure.
The technology is extremely simple and DIY. šŸ™‚

ā€¦villages in India run heating and cooking on methane gas generated from animal manure.
The technology is extremely simple and DIY.

Yes, there are many possible options. The problem with most is they require time, energy, and almost always, staff.

I do have someone who usually comes several times a week to carry hay and work with the horses (especially helpful with one arm currently in a sling!), but even with full faculties there is barely time to do what MUST be done, let alone things on the wish list.

I am indeed in the process of downsizing somewhat to simplify things. How many turkeys and peacocks should I save for you? An alpaca or llama? (Sorry, I've already sold the mini donkeys.)
šŸ˜
peacock_IMG_20160326_1.jpg llamas_IMG_20140913_154543_.jpg turkey_IMG_6011.jpg
JKJ

Back