• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Theory of Music home study course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy girl

Reaction score
As the local colleges cannot help, I wonder if there is there such a publication to purchase whereby it is possible to do a home study of The Theory of Music.

It is probably too much to ask for a ‘step by step’ course similar to the Palmer Hughes set-up, with a question & answers section after each chapter, but that would be ideal.

At the moment I am working on the circle of keys; major & relative minor, leading notes etc. & A slow, low key explanation which wouldn’t fatigue & stress a very mature brain would be most useful.

Am not suggesting you are a dummy, but a relatively easy approach would be through these type of books, such as below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Theor...6047&sr=8-1&keywords=music+theory+for+dummies

Possibly check out ABRSM publications?

I am sure there will be more to follow. Good luck, and remember it is just theory, you really dont need it to be able to play. Dont suffer from paralysis by analysis.

Trev

PS try this address too, it does take a while to get into the address but be patient it is well worth it! It took just under a minute for me to get into the site this time, you can download what you want.
This work is licensed by Catherine Schmidt-Jones under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 2.0), and is an Open Educational Resource.

http://cnx.org/content/col10363/1.3

welsh said:
... Good luck, and remember it is just theory, you really dont need it to be able to play. Dont suffer from paralysis by analysis.

Trev

I like that - good info. balanced with good advice... :tup:

I have the dummys book and can recommend it. It is a good book.
Adittionally I have been using the site:
http://www.musictheory.net

Ben

Thank you so much for your input & encouragement. I decided to see if the library has the dummy's book before purchasing, & it is out at the moment, but it is really good news to have a personal recommendation & I will pursue that avenue.

I did however manage to borrow a couple of books which look promising, especially ‘Understanding Music Theory’ because it has worksheets after each lesson, which is exactly what I wanted.

The images may be interesting to other like minded members who prefer to have a book to study from instead of a monitor.

Welch, I love your assessment: ‘Don't suffer from paralysis by analyses’. I promise to study theory only as long as the interest & fascination flows.

If theory is not a requisition to play an instrument, then by the same token one can study the theory of music without ever playing a note.

Attachments

• Pictures.jpg
    Pictures.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 1,890
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back