• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Theme to Last of the Summer Wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttons

Reaction score
Someone proudly and rightly put up their group playing 'something' with a link to their web site. The web site had them playing a selection including ...Last of the Summer Wine. Can anyone remember or identify which group / web site it was. I am trying to learn the tune. Thanks and best wishes to all on this World wide Forum.

Hi Buttons, not sure of the link youre looking for, but this may be useful: Playandteach - who is a member on here - has one of his youtube lessons here:

It includes a link to the sheet music for the tune, too.

Thank you Soulsaver. Not the one I was thinking of, but better and more to my needs. I tried 'Last of...' a while back as a 'by ear' exercise but need to make better progress. This will be ideal for me. Thanks for your kindness.
Just a thought but what did people like me do before You-tube........possibly not very much. Back to the left hand.

Youre welcome.
Buttons said:
Just a thought but what did people like me do before You-tube
Yep - I know the feeling...

Yep There appears to be an intermittent prob with the link he has or with youtube or IE or whatever.

Here is the related sheet. I hope playandteach has no problem with it being here (PMd). In that event, I will gladly remove it.

Attachments

• Last of the summer wine.jpg
    Last of the summer wine.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 1,692
Soulsaver said:
Yep There appears to be an intermittent prob with the link he has or with youtube or IE or whatever.

Here is the related sheet. I hope playandteach has no problem with it being here (PMd). In that event, I will gladly remove it.

<ATTACHMENT filename=Last of the summer wine.jpg index=0>[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Thanks for the heads up. People are free to share any / all of those transcriptions / arrangements at will. There are a few now on this site:

http://play-and-teach.blogspot.co.uk

including a couple of my own. Some are melodeon friendly.
Enjoy

Thank you Soulsaver once again.. I can now get on with it....and to playandteach for providing it to all. Best wishes.

The only Last of the Summer Wine I know of is a BBC comedy that was shown in the USA on Public TV.

It is the theme music from the show. That will be the one which was very popular for many years mostly by a certain age of old boy. The artists changed several times as they faded away from the worlds real antics. Many of us could relate to it all. Filmed in an attractive part of Yorkshire. There is children in us all...well most of us....we just have to find it again and not give a damn.

Soulsaver said:

<ATTACHMENT filename=Last of the summer wine.jpg index=0>[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Thanks for the heads up. People are free to share any / all of those transcriptions / arrangements at will. There are a few now on this site:

http://play-and-teach.blogspot.co.uk

including a couple of my own. Some are melodeon friendly.
Enjoy[/quote]

Thanks for posting LATSW. Ive enjoyed learning a few of your pieces and got a good tip about creating a pseudo rising 5th LH line from Feed The Birds.
Could you tell me what software youre using to create your lead-sheets, Im fed up with having to hack through monster size programs just to create a simple part, many thanks. :D

The first 4 bars of 'Summer Wine' are very similar to a Shetland tune called 'Dance of the South West Wind' by Tom Georgeson. Another 'co-incidence' is that the tune for the old cartoon figure 'Popeye' is the Scottish tune 'The happy old days that's awa' (with a different time signature). Is there any need to mention the tune for the English nursery rhyme 'In and out the dusty bluebells?

When I first saw that series many years ago in the UK, my whole family loved it...a simpler time, no self-absorbed people looking at their cell phones (or mobile phones as I think they're called in the UK). For years, the series played on U.S. public TV. Though most series now on public TV are new British ones, they still play the very old ones. I'm glad someone found sheet music for the show's theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back