• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The need for boosters

sprechen

Reaction score
When changing from leather to plastic valve reeds are boosters still needed on those reeds that had them originally that were leather? Is the answer simply - don't use boosters with plastic valve reeds! I'll be using those from HA-vent. I am referring to the keyboard side.

60 year old Scandalli 120B 41K

Tom

When changing from leather to plastic valve reeds are boosters still needed on those reeds that had them originally that were leather? Is the answer simply - don't use boosters with plastic valve reeds! I'll be using those from HA-vent. I am referring to the keyboard side.

60 year old Scandalli 120B 41K

Tom
Plastic valves come with their own plastic booster "layers".
Some people swear by leather valves, but I actually like plastic valves for the higher notes. When you use leather on high notes most manufacturers then forego booster springs (because they are almost always too strong) and after two or more decades the leather valves don't stay closed very well. Plastic valves are easily still good and closing well after 50 years or more.

Back