• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The Da Vinci Code(ion) 🎹

Walker

🪗
Reaction score
I always knew there was something extra special about the piano accordion. ;) An undeniably handsome and uncluttered design that exudes elegance and, I guess, shares the classic keyboard looks with the other centuries old keyboard instruments. Of course, the piano accordion has a different angle on music, thanks to it's vertical and not horizontal keyboard playing position. A stroke of genius? Undoubtedly, and I guess we have Leonardo da Vinci to thank for the piano accordion design... :D

This last video is quite marvellous and shows the ancient accordion design in duet. The accordion by Leonardo Da Vinci built by Mario Buonoconto from a sketch written in the Atlantic Codex. The accordion is played by its owner, Denis Biasin, accompanied by cello (Riccardo Pes).

Last edited:
Well spotted, Walker!
Is there no end to the ingenuity!?🤫😄
Brilliant finds there.

Your posting them is much appreciated.
Thanks guys. I know I was being a bit scampish and playful by introducing the piano accordion as a da Vinci original. However, joking aside, I think in the unfolding story of the accordion (in all its forms) that began with the sheng to eventually become the modern concert accordion and bayan, it is quite a wonderful compliment to our instrument that a great genius would sketch such a design all those centuries ago. The accordion was always destined to be a special instrument group and I think it will go from strength to strength over the times to come.

Back