• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The chromatic accordion C griff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome in the CBA church, were promises are fullfilled. 
CBA is heaven on earth for accordion players.

@saunders

how many hours did you put in those 'several weeks'? I'm still thinking about converting at one point, but I dread the time it will cost before I would be up to decent level again

jozz said:
@saunders

how many hours did you put in those 'several weeks'? I'm still thinking about converting at one point, but I dread the time it will cost before I would be up to decent level again

Hi Jazz,

I dreaded the time too being hitherto pretty fast on a normal piano keyboard. However it wasn't as hard as I thought.

I'd say about 3 hours a day over 6 weeks (ie quite a lot of time, but I was on holiday!). The first few very easy pieces in the Lars Holm Music Box 1 book seemed to take me absolutely ages, but then it started to click with his rock solid fingering and I got faster. I bought some other books but they weren't a patch on this and I didn't make use of them.

Then I went onto some medieval music, baby Bach and some hands only organ pieces. Three months in I'm onto Bach inventions and a Pergolesi sonata and able to work out fingerings. 

Definitely an investment in time but also really glad I went for it as it has opened up the accordion and wider new repertoire with c system RH and LH freebass.

My considered view, it is initially a step backward in playing level, but ultimately (and not that long) a massive leap forward with what you can do with the instrument.

Hope that helps!

Ben

saundersbp pid=67207 dateline=1568839302 said:
...The Lars Holm book Music Box 1...

The Lars Holm book is a little pricey (Music Box 1), 47,5 EU – 52 USD, must be shipped from DE (est. 17 USD). Couldnt find a continental North America source. Lots of decent intro material.

fphlpsnrg pid=67308 dateline=1569428072 said:

The Lars Holm book is a little pricey (Music Box 1), 47,5 EU – 52 USD, must be shipped from DE (est. 17 USD). Couldnt find a continental North America source. Lots of decent intro material.

From the link it appears that the price is for a volume combining both 1 &2.

Chrisrayner pid=67314 dateline=1569434151 said:
fphlpsnrg pid=67308 dateline=1569428072 said:

From the link it appears that the price is for a volume combining both 1 &2.

Lars Holms accordion method in a single volume named Spela Dragspel (Play accordion) can be had used from various outlets in Sweden for about 295 Swedish Krona (approx 30 US dollars).

There is also a follow up book entitled Spela mera Dragspel (Play more accordion), which usually sells for about 150 Swedish Krona (approx 16 US dollars), if you can find it. It seems to be out of print.

Those books will be in Swedish text, and Spela Dragspel (only) can be obtained new from the Swedish bookstore, Bokus, but the new price is 410 Kr (about 38 US dollars).

Here is the link to the English version of the site:-

https://www.bokus.com/kundservice/english 

Just type the title Spela Dragspel into the search box, and youll get the option to buy the book new, if you so wish. 

ISBN for the basic method book is 9789157414342 in case it turns up elsewhere. 

I dont know what the shipping charges will be, but Ive bought transport titles from Bokus before and they werent too drastic to the UK.

Ive never seen any of the Lars Holm books, and have no idea what the content consists of. The Swedes tend to mainly use the outer 4 rows of C system CBA, and some pro players play 4 row CBA, but Ive never studied their technique in any great detail. Suffice to say its nothing like the technique used by most French players.  

Shipping to North America may be pricey, but you could always drop them an e-mail and enquire.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 25
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 24
For absolute clarity, this is the book I found invaluable for c system in LH and RH not the others mentioned which are for stradella bass.

https://www.notenwunderland.de/Akkordeonnoten/Akk--MIII-Literatur/Music-Box-1-2--Lars-Holm.html

Both volumes are combined in this reprint however its the first volume that I learnt from as that is exclusively freebass c system. Maybe a bit pricey but it saved me a lot of lessons and most importantly time, so I personally wouldnt hesitate!

saundersbp pid=67317 dateline=1569443762 said:
For absolute clarity, this is the book I found invaluable for c system in LH and RH not the others mentioned which are for stradella bass.

https://www.notenwunderland.de/Akkordeonnoten/Akk--MIII-Literatur/Music-Box-1-2--Lars-Holm.html

Both volumes are combined in this reprint however its the first volume that I learnt from as that is exclusively freebass c system. Maybe a bit pricey but it saved me a lot of lessons and most importantly time, so I personally wouldnt hesitate!

Sorry,

I do realise that the book(s) available in Germany are not the same ones that are available in Sweden, although the issue of Stradella vs Freebass hadnt occurred to me. Where I live accordions with bass converters are about as common as 5 leaf clovers, and the fact that the accordion is so popular these days in classical music still hasnt really sunk in with me yet.

I have family in Scandinavia, and thought I might have been of assistance with the works of Lars Holm. Turns out he too is a classically orientated musician, and Id never heard of him until I read this thread. 

Thanks for drawing attention to the differences in the method books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back