• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The 5 Registers, how what etc please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markordion

Reaction score
Hi this is for some advice re using my sons new startone 72 Bass Accordion that has 5 registers please.

I expect its similar to many of the ones from the same place.

But his old Hohner only had two registers and hes only self taught.

We are not sure if you must use just one at a time or if you can use combinations of two together of the 5 on this one etc please.

As we don`t know he has just used one swtich at a time so far as he doesn`t want to do any damage.

Many thanks for any kind advice in advance.

I`m not musical, but I love Accordion music and myself I`m finding it very interesting finding out more about them too.

Thanks Mark.

Hi thank you we did think that, but saw a video and they clicked both the outer ones on a 3 register player.

There was no manual or instructions with the Accordion.

Maybe just left out or maybe they think you know ?

Anyway thank you, good to know. Mark.

As Scuromondo says, do not use more than one at any one time , as they act against each other!?
They act to direct air through different reeds according to a predetermined combination.

Last edited:
If the registers match this picture it will gives you all the common reed combinations for an LMM accordion. This means there are three total reed sets for the treble side, one being low and two being one octave higher than the low (medium). The dots indicate which reeds are being used when that register is selected. From left to right L, LM, LMM, MM, and M. This is a pretty versatile configuration.

Attachments

• C05407B0-22C1-4DE2-84AB-401E7C8D7AEC.png
    C05407B0-22C1-4DE2-84AB-401E7C8D7AEC.png
    788.5 KB · Views: 12
The 5 registers are likely what Ben-jammin already showed. The accordion then has three voices (one L, one dry-tuned M and one wet-tuned M) and from the 7 possible combinations (not including mute) there are two you won't use (wet-tuned M along and L with wet-tuned M).
Long ago there were also accordions where each voice had just an on-off toggle, so a 3 voice accordion just needed 3 and a 4 voice just 4. But changing registers then required pressing multiple switches and this takes too much time and effort (but they could be pressed simultaneously).
On your accordion you should never press multiple switches at the same time because this can damage the mechanism.

Paul,
I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting (above) the combination LM+ won't be used ??
I seem to have both an LM-MM+H and a LMM- PAs, both with the LM+ combination (labelled "saxophone ")

Thank you very much all. this forum is such a great and handy spot.

My son has noticed that some things on his Hohner with just the two it coped with certain, how do you say combinations or notes without need to be moved.

There is one piece he plays that on the Arietta it coped but on the startone he needs to flip over one register.

I`m not musical or putting that very well, but hopefully you will all know what I mean.

Its probably the wrong place to ask but does anyone now when the last Piano Accordion was made in the UK or indeed any type.

I left School in the UK in the early 1980`s as we sadly set about stopping making a lot of things we did really well !!!

But I imagine it was a while before that even though ?

Thank you again for all the good advice, Mark.

PS I`m sure its OK to flip over a register as your playing ? But worth asking in case you do need ? a pause etc to be safe.

Sorry to sound so not in the know.

Markodion,
Flipping a coupler switch, while playing, is quite the thing ( in the appropriate spot in the arrangement, of course) just as long you only press one at a time??.

Hi thank you, so a flip mid play is OK as long as only the one regsiter at a time theres nothing to intereact wrongly there.

All very clear now thank you.

I did notice the Black Diamond Accordions have Italian reeds.

I think the startone MK II`s may have some modifications.

I`m pretty sure if we had seen the BD`s before the kind pointer on here, we would have likely gone for a UK semi fettled Diamond one, had the Startone not arrived in meantime.

Thank you again, Mark.

Hi thank you, so a flip mid play is OK as long as only the one regsiter at a time theres nothing to intereact wrongly there.

Register changes mid play are perfectly fine. Chin switches are becoming more and more popular (and have been a must on professional convertor accordions for decades) and allow for faster switching as well as switching while playing a note or chord.
There are two things that you should NEVER do if your accordion has them: 1) press the convertor switch while having one or more bass notes pressed and 2) flip octave couplers while having one or more bass notes pressed. Both of these actions may jam the bass mechanism.

Paul,
I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting (above) the combination LM+ won't be used ??
I seem to have both an LM-MM+H and a LMM- PAs, both with the LM+ combination (labelled "saxophone ")
There are accordions with an M+ and/or an LM+ register. The more the M+ is "detuned" the more awful an LM+ register sounds, but for every bad combination of voices you can find people who like them...
The use of M+ without M is nowadays mostly used when the accordion has little or no tremolo. Older LMM accordions typically do not have an M+ or LM+ register, but only L, LM, LMM, M and MM.

The reference made above to the 3 switch models and pushing both switches. Two reed models can have two switches or three switches. When three, the top and bottom switches do the same thing, they only allow easier reach from top and bottom of the keyboard.

Well with the 5 we`ll just use one at a time.

All the strange working of these Music machines is very interesting itself.

Looking at the racks of reeds etc I had no idea what was in there.

Thanks Mark.

Hi Mark and welcome.:)

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but this thread seems very confusing to me.
You have all the enthusiasm and are asking all the right questions yet it is your son who plays the accordion but doesn't ask any questions here only through you. As you have the interest in music, you also have the ability to learn to play for yourself. Why not get your son to show you what he knows and have a go, then we have two more accordionists for the price of one (y) .
Nothing wrong with both of you sharing one accordion to start with, then, when your ability and knowledge increase, you can consider your options.
Many accordionists here didn't start to play until after retirement age and have become competent, bearing in mind that you are playing for your own enjoyment .

Hi my son doesn`t like on line forums, or facebook, ebay, etc.

He does`nt even have a connected mobile phone.

I do enjoy listening to him play, but I am so ungifted, and the total opposite to him musically.

Hes got it genetically somehow, I`ve just really not got it.

Though if we do get a replacemnt for his Arietta or get that sorted I may have a dabble with the Startone if its still OK.

Hands up the whole mechanics and history and interesting different makes etc has tickled my fancy.

I do still have an old cine projector and still play Vinyl and like motorbikes so its maybe a bloke thing too.

Maybe its a little because I don`t have a bloke shed !!! too. Our older sons took that over.

But whatever this forum is a wealth to keep the youngest one going in musical action.

Thanks Mark.

Mark I think it’s great that you’re taking this much interest. Being well informed is so important with accordions. They can be destroyed quickly if stored incorrectly, misused, or by uninformed attempts to repair. I always value the time that I spent with my father on shared passions. Whether you play or not is no matter. If you do decide to learn there’s resources to help. Some players like your son can pick it up real easy, others require a more structured approach.

Reactions: Tom
Hi my son doesn`t like on line forums, or facebook, ebay, etc.

He does`nt even have a connected mobile phone.

I do enjoy listening to him play, but I am so ungifted, and the total opposite to him musically.

Hes got it genetically somehow, I`ve just really not got it.

Though if we do get a replacemnt for his Arietta or get that sorted I may have a dabble with the Startone if its still OK.

Hands up the whole mechanics and history and interesting different makes etc has tickled my fancy.

I do still have an old cine projector and still play Vinyl and like motorbikes so its maybe a bloke thing too.

Maybe its a little because I don`t have a bloke shed !!! too. Our older sons took that over.

But whatever this forum is a wealth to keep the youngest one going in musical action.

Thanks Mark.
All good reasons Mark. Something I hadn't considered. I thought all of today's younger generation came with a mobile phone permanently glued to their right thumb :giggle: . I see you're into motorbikes, so there's hope for you yet!!. We do have a "Show us your Bike" section here.
If you like old British bikes then you will be used to a bit of tinkering, so maybe a new hobby of accordion restoring looms :unsure:

Hi I think you might be right re the tinkering, it looks very interesting.

I`d never given any thought what was in there, or what it was up to inside.

If we don`t find a fixer for the Arietta in the next few weeks, going to give it a try.

Yes my sons a bit old fashioned.

He will use the internet as a library sometimes if needed, but prefers real books, and less electric tech type things.

Never happier than when going down a nice track in a valley or though woodland etc.

But he has watched odd Youtube clips for help on odd pieces hes learning if struggling on his mums phone.

He`s not anti this or that as such, just a bit old fashioned much of the time.

I still use a £7.99 mobile phone, almost an Antique !!! the charge lasts for ages and I`m not too worried about loosing it.

The two eldest sons phones cost about £1200+ new and they pay £60 a month for them. Strewth and Yee Gods etc.

We were just offered a very nice new Italian made Accordion for £3K instead of £4K

Very good buy but we are still in the January sort yourself outs a bit.

And a bit off a serious Jump from a very nice " free " one to that, especially just for home use.

The Startone impresses me more each time I see and hear it. Hope that does`nt Jinx anything.

Thanks Mark.

PS, I almost wondered what you meant when you said " Show us Your Bike " ahem !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back