• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Tape recorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

routemaster

Reaction score
Hi all ,would it help my learning by using a tape recorder for playback practice sessions? And does anyone else do this.?.

Hi route, yes, it would definetly help for you to be abe to hear yourself paying. Athough most people nowadays use a smartphone for this purpose, a tape recorder will work really well.

My advice to you is to select one sing and commit it to memory. Play it every day and watch how you can change its aspects, speed, loudness, bass playing, etc. Then learn a second song. Repeat as necessary.

Good luck!

From personal experience, if you do record yourself you will probably go to pieces at first - it can be as intimidating as a public performance.
Once over this, you should see big improvements and even notice the bits you thought you'd sorted are dotted with mistakes.
It is strange but the recorder seems to have the same effect as someone listening.
In a word - yes, good idea.

Hi route, yes, it would definetly help for you to be abe to hear yourself paying. Athough most people nowadays use a smartphone for this purpose, a tape recorder will work really well.

My advice to you is to select one sing and commit it to memory. Play it every day and watch how you can change its aspects, speed, loudness, bass playing, etc. Then learn a second song. Repeat as necessary.

Good luck!
thanks tom for the advice.

From personal experience, if you do record yourself you will probably go to pieces at first - it can be as intimidating as a public performance.
Once over this, you should see big improvements and even notice the bits you thought you'd sorted are dotted with mistakes.
It is strange but the recorder seems to have the same effect as someone listening.
In a word - yes, good idea.
thanks dunlustin ,I have tried it it does sound raw can only improve.

A tape recorder is what we used 20 years ago... Now I use a digital recorder. It helps to hear what your playing sounds like. Often a recording using a phone will be good enough so you don't need a specialized digital recorder. But you have to control the volume manually. Do not use AGC (automatic gain control) because that will make piano and forte all the same...

An interesting experiment: don't listen to your recording the same day. Wait two or three days. It makes a difference in your judgement.

I make videoclips of my playing. Very confronting,but vey helpful.

An interesting experiment: don't listen to your recording the same day. Wait two or three days. It makes a difference in your judgement.

I make videoclips of my playing. Very confronting,but vey helpful.
thanks Paul.

A tape recorder is what we used 20 years ago... Now I use a digital recorder. It helps to hear what your playing sounds like. Often a recording using a phone will be good enough so you don't need a specialized digital recorder. But you have to control the volume manually. Do not use AGC (automatic gain control) because that will make piano and forte all the same...
Thanks debra.

i would say it's essential even

not only will you hear what it sounds like indirectly, which is important

but will also improve your conficence and accuracy just because you are recording

i would say it's essential even

not only will you hear what it sounds like indirectly, which is important

but will also improve your conficence and accuracy just because you are recording
thank you Jazz.

It can be very helpful, and I'll confess that I don't do it enough myself.

It's really the best way to hear what you really sound like, warts and all. Often, one is so busy actually pulling off playing the instrument--paying attention to each hand, plus the bellows, either remembering or reading what to play, and sort of "pre-hearing" the music in your head on top of that--that the brain doesn't have many "processor cycles" left over to actually pay attention what's really, truly coming out of the box.

A good teacher will sit there and give their full attention to how you're playing, so they can identify the areas that need work. A recording device lets you take on that role yourself.

It can be very helpful, and I'll confess that I don't do it enough myself.

It's really the best way to hear what you really sound like, warts and all. Often, one is so busy actually pulling off playing the instrument--paying attention to each hand, plus the bellows, either remembering or reading what to play, and sort of "pre-hearing" the music in your head on top of that--that the brain doesn't have many "processor cycles" left over to actually pay attention what's really, truly coming out of the box.

A good teacher will sit there and give their full attention to how you're playing, so they can identify the areas that need work. A recording device lets you take on that role yourself.
thank you jeffleton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back