• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Strawberry Hill Polka

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeH76

Reaction score
Written by Eddie Habat who wrote a lot of tunes like this one.
Eddie Habat has influenced many Cleveland-Style accordionists, over twenty-five of his compositions, including Riverboat Polka, Hi Lee, Hi Lo, and Strawberry Hill Polka have been recorded by others.

Great, thanks George!

I see you have a LIMEX midi system built into your Colombo accordion ?
There's a bit more about the LIMEX here:

Another LIMEX demonstration:

Who needs a Roland or an Evo??

Quite enough to make my head spin!?

Last edited:
Eddie Habat has influenced many Cleveland-Style accordionists, over twenty-five of his compositions, including Riverboat Polka, Hi Lee, Hi Lo, and Strawberry Hill Polka have been recorded by others.
Always looking for good polkas. Getting more tough to find lead sheets. ?

Always looking for good polkas. Getting more tough to find lead sheets. ?
Hi,

I heard some YouTubes of Strawberry Hill Polka and I dug through many of the books and sheet music that I have and found the book with Strawberry Hill in it. If you want I can take a photo and email it to you.

The accordeoniste doesn't even know what the keyboard looks like...she never made a glance downward! The music selections were all very enjoyable. Thank you.

I see you have a LIMEX midi system built into your Colombo accordion ?
There's a bit more about the LIMEX here:

Another LIMEX demonstration:

Who needs a Roland or an Evo??

Quite enough to make my head spin!?
Thanks for the youtubes of the LIMEX. A little history is in order:
Prior to the Colombo/Bugari w/ Limex I had a Giulletti F94 with Dural reeds with a LMMH setup...it was made in the 1960s.
I had the Giulletti overhauled in Mar 2006.
A little over a year later Apr 2007 I decided to trade in the Giulletti for the Colombo (Bugari) even though a few of my friends didn't approve of this .
At the same time I had the Limex MIDI installed. It was called the "Midisystem Professional 3" or Limex MPR 3
It also came with the Alpine Master 32Mb MIDI expander, which is geared towards Alpine/Oberkrainer style. I ended up buying a book of 101 Slavko Avsenik songs
It was and is a versatile, interesting and complicated system. To be honest, I prefer the acoustic PA although it is fun to play around with the different sounds and rhythms. I once had a Hohner (made in Germany) diatonic, but couldn't get the hang of the push-pull so I sold it.
It seems over time the LIMEX has fallen out of favor, at least here in the US. It hard, if not impossible to get service. The Rolands have taken over. Just go on youtube and see how many Rolands there are versus LIMEX. So after 13 years the LIMEX works OK, but I have to do a lot of key resets or it doesn't work right. One of these days I'll make a video using just the LIMEX

And another one: “Strawberries and Rasberry“ polka...A favorite in the Midwest...thanks for sharing this.

Last edited:
And another one: “Strawberries and Rasberry“ polka...A favorite in the Midwest...thanks for sharing this.

Larry, I have a ton of authentic "old time" sheet music from the old days, including Frankie Y, polkas and waltzes, schottisches.

Thanks. In Phoenix there is a large group of Frank Yankovich style polka fans. Many retire or visit from Wisconsin. As I did my Biergarten concert, the Yankovich polkas were a hit!...I wish there was more accordion players in the Phoenix area to help...looking at someone in the another part of the country to appear in January. Keep you posted on this...

Sounds good Larry. My daughter is moving to Cleveland today. Strangely to imagine, she had never heard of Frankie Y, (although she does know Al ?), or that there is an actual polka style associated with her chosen city. Interestingly enough, she will be living in Little Italy. I have tasked her with significant accordion discovery missions.

Didn't understand your post. Are you looking for somewhere else to play in January, or someone else to accompany you or ????? Good luck with the Biergarten gig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back