• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Spanish accordion music

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone have any links to some simple spanish music specifically for accordion? With my move to Spain fast approaching it might be an idea to try and learn some simple Spanish stuff.

That would interest me too.
I sometimes wonder why the accordion doesn't seem to feature that much in Spain yet it's huge in parts of the Americas with a Spanish "heritage."

I found this on wikipedia:

The Basque country of Spain often incorporated accordions into its music. Accordions were introduced to Basque country from Italy in the 19th century. Accordion playing within Basque music is known as trikitixa, which means hand-sound in Basque. The style of accordion playing in Basque music involves rapid melodies and staccato triplets. Modern-day Basque music is a blend of trikitixa, tambourine and voice.
Sounds a bit too complicated for me :(

There's some great Basque accordion music and dance on Youtube - probably not a good idea to suggest they are Spanish tho'
FWIW: There is a local variant of the melodeon used to play this music on either side of the border.

The melodeon.net Theme of the Month - Tunes from Spain was very funny, only 3 people posted a recording! And one was me. The Basque stuff is brilliant but not very easy! There are easier tunes from other parts of Spain, so for instance if you type Jota into folktunefinder, some will come up. But that's trad music and not necessarily for accordion. Never come across any Spanish accordion collections myself.

dunlustin said:
I sometimes wonder why the accordion doesnt seem to feature that much in Spain yet its huge in parts of the Americas with a Spanish heritage.

The accordion thing in Mexico for example is more a result of immigration from Germany.

Portugals musical traditions feature quite a bit of accordion, perhaps it would be possible to sneak across the border once in a while to hear what they have going on. Not just folkie stuff, theres a tradition of serious chromatic players going back to Dona Eugénia Lima in the 40s, but that comes out of a style of music thats just very naturally suited to the accordion. Heres some guy, Miguel Pereira who I know nothing about, making it look like anyone from his neighborhood could play Vale do Pereiro.

The Portuguese part of Spain, Galicia, is not so much part of that. They do have squeezeboxes, but it seems to be closer to a Celtic style. Susana Seivane muñeira

Here’s a Google translation from the Home page..

Who is she.

The root of all evil is a collection of sheet music for diatonic accordion, two-row and eight low. Inside contains some compositions Accordion Catalan Countries, made between the end of the century. And early twentieth century. XXI are classified by degree of difficulty (one, two or three eggs) and genre.

This site complements the book, with some accordion recordings made of his compositions, and some scores composed after the publication of the book.

October 2008

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, and I have a very limited knowledge of anything other than the French musette style. One player that springs to mind is Louis Camblor, who is a French Basque accordionist.

He plays a mixture of tunes on the usual 3 voice French musette style accordions, although paso dobles and other Spanish tunes feature strongly in his repertoire. You'll find him on You Tube.

His style is definitely not to everyone's taste, unless you also like Basque folk music, but you may like some of his tunes. I doubt whether you'd recognise any of his stuff, and that may put you off. Also, the scores may be hard to come by, if you can't work them out by ear.

Like yourself I've hunted long and weary for Spanish accordion recordings without much joy. There are one or two players who have made a handful of CDs, but nothing spectacular. The only tunes that seem to be popular for Spanish accordionists are the Spanish classics and they are certainly not easy to play, as you are using Spanish and/or Flamenco guitar chord progressions, that don't fall easily for accordion bass.

The same might be said for Portugal, where the CBA is reasonably popular in the Algarve, but perhaps not so much elsewhere. If you listen to tunes called "Corridinho", these have a strong Spanish flavour, but obviously they are not Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back